L2550 fan not turning

nbmech

Equipment
L2550
Jul 6, 2011
ohio
Hello,
I noticed last winter when I put the 2550 away that the fan belt was turning but the fan wasn't. I think the belt had the correct tension because there was a lot of smoke until I took the belt off. Luckily I didnt need to use the tractor to push snow last year. I reinstalled the belt in the spring and the fan worked all season. I got the trator out last weekend to move snow and left it out overnight and guess what? The fan isn't turning again. I put the tractor away and hopefully wont need it until spring. I assume there is water somewhere that is freezing and keeping the fan from spinnning. Any one have an idea whathasnksd to do??

thanks.

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
First, get an anti-freeze tester and check the freeze-proof degrees you have. Lack-of or used-up antifreeze will cause premature wear to the water pump.
Second, take off the fan belt and spin the water pump and see if it has tight spots or feels "gravelly."
3rd shake the water pump shaft side-to-side, any perceptible motion and the bearing is shot.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I would sure hope a tractor owner knew if he had antifreeze, or not, in his tractor. :confused:

If that's not the prob, then likely time for a water pump...