L2501

j34

Equipment
L2501 & RTV1140
Jul 23, 2019
Kemp,Texas
New member here, I am having problems with my L2501 Tractor. I bought the tractor new in December and it has been wonderful. Most of the time I operate it in medium gear, mowing and hauling stuff. Last week I attempted to put in in high gear and it starts to go, but very, very slow. If I try to accelerate, it will generally die, or not go at all. Any ideas? I would rather not take it back to the dealer but if I have to I can do that too.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
New member here, I am having problems with my L2501 Tractor. I bought the tractor new in December and it has been wonderful. Most of the time I operate it in medium gear, mowing and hauling stuff. Last week I attempted to put in in high gear and it starts to go, but very, very slow. If I try to accelerate, it will generally die, or not go at all. Any ideas? I would rather not take it back to the dealer but if I have to I can do that too.
I think your going to need to offer a little clarity.

Like is it an HST or DT?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What RPM do you have the tractor at when you are trying to move it?

You don't have the brake set by chance do you?

j34

Equipment
L2501 & RTV1140
Jul 23, 2019
Kemp,Texas
I have it running about 2000 rpm's, and the brake is not engaged. I can put it in medium and it runs accordingly but when I try to shift into High it sputters around and tries to die or stalls out. It just doesn't have power in high gear.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
If you are trying to go up hill, it won’t have the power to do that in high. For high range, ground should be fairly flat and throttle wide open. However, if this behavior is something new, I’d take it to the dealer.

Shadetree03

Equipment
L2501, King Kutter, Landscape Rake, Titan 3pt forks
Sep 20, 2017
Pueblo, CO
If I try to accelerate, it will generally die, or not go at all. Any ideas? I would rather not take it back to the dealer but if I have to I can do that too.
It took me a little while to get used to the HST treadle NOT being an accelerator peddle as in a "more pressure gives it more fuel.." I stalled it out a few times pushing harder for it to pull more. It actually reduces torque to the wheels.

Now if I want to pull something or get more torque to the wheels, I first drop down a range, and ease off the foot treadle and pull back on the hand throttle. Less amplitude on the treadle delivers MORE torque thru the hydrostat pump!

The wheels will start to bite, transmission whines a bit more and I can climb whatever or pull whatever the traction allows.... just a different mindset. The old Farmall gear tractor I used to listen to the engine to guage performance, and now I listen more to the hydrostatic whine to gauge when to ease off on the treadle and pull back the throttle to handle increased load.

Last edited by a moderator:

j34

Equipment
L2501 & RTV1140
Jul 23, 2019
Kemp,Texas
Thanks for all the information, I will try a couple of them and if that doesn't work then looks like I will take it back to the dealer.