L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The tractor, The comparison, The modification, The results...

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
@Rdrcr, I don't have an L2501 but I do have four turbo charged diesels so I read through this entire thread and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have a chipped/tuned 7.3L and you're right, your L sounds like a little 7.3L and the improvements are incredible. I monitor EGTs pre and post turbo and see a big difference i.e. 100F to 400F or more depending on the load. Backing off or dropping down a gear to increase rpm is how I deal with EGTs.

Thanks for a great thread and I sincerely hope that you get to reap the benefits of all your hard work. Let me know when you have a DPF/regen delete kit for the MX and M tractors and I'll write you a check! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 user

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
So, looking at your intake/exhaust pipe routing, I am kind of shocked at the huge size of the main piping, versus the pipe size connecting to the turbo. It looks like 3" diameter? Is there much gain in performance with the bigger pipe, considering the necked-down size into/out of the turbo? Puzzled.

Solo
The Turbo very very small.
So, to maximize airflow, we start the piping small on the Turbo side and quickly expand the tubing to the size of the Air Cleaner and Intake manifold. It's all about maximizing the Turbo's output.
We do the same with the Turbo downpipe to maximize Turbo spool characteristics.

The production pipes will have the same overall size variations but, they will be far more gradual than the pre-production pipes that are on my tractor.

Mike

Hahnsolo

Equipment
B2650 Tractor, B2782B Snow Blower
Mar 13, 2023
Rocky Mountains
The Turbo very very small.
So, to maximize airflow, we start the piping small on the Turbo side and quickly expand the tubing to the size of the Air Cleaner and Intake manifold. It's all about maximizing the Turbo's output.
We do the same with the Turbo downpipe to maximize Turbo spool characteristics.

The production pipes will have the same overall size variations but, they will be far more gradual than the pre-production pipes that are on my tractor.

Mike
So, are they 3" diameter?

Solo

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
So, are they 3" diameter?

Solo
No. I apologize for not being clear

2”
2 1/8”
2 1/4”
2 1/2”

We used multiple size tubing to put the Turbo setup together to maximize airflow velocity and system efficiency.

Mike

Hahnsolo

Equipment
Mar 13, 2023
Rocky Mountains
No. I apologize for not being clear

2”
2 1/8”
2 1/4”
2 1/2”

We used multiple size tubing to put the Turbo setup together to maximize airflow velocity and system efficiency.

Mike
Sorry, I feel like I'm driving you crazy with questions. So, the majority of the tubing is 2-1/2", with the smaller sizes used to transition to/from the turbo?

Solo

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
Sorry, I feel like I'm driving you crazy with questions. So, the majority of the tubing is 2-1/2", with the smaller sizes used to transition to/from the turbo?

Solo
Not necessarily. The tubing size (or combination of tubing sizes) depends on where the pipe is going and what components it’s connecting.

For example, the intake manifold and the air cleaner assembly have different size diameters. So, we had to use different size tubing for those pipes. The 2 1/2” tubing was mainly used for the exhaust.

Mike

Hahnsolo

Equipment
Mar 13, 2023
Rocky Mountains
Not necessarily. The tubing size (or combination of tubing sizes) depends on where the pipe is going and what components it’s connecting.

For example, the intake manifold and the air cleaner assembly have different size diameters. So, we had to use different size tubing for those pipes. The 2 1/2” tubing was mainly used for the exhaust.

Mike
Thanks Mike. One other thing I've been thinking about is the heat generated on the compressor side of the turbo into the intake. Have you tested the temperature of the air coming out of the turbo when at speed? Is this even an issue with the lower speeds you're turning? Would it benefit from installing an intercooler?

Solo

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
Thanks Mike. One other thing I've been thinking about is the heat generated on the compressor side of the turbo into the intake. Have you tested the temperature of the air coming out of the turbo when at speed? Is this even an issue with the lower speeds you're turning? Would it benefit from installing an intercooler?

Solo
Great question. I’ve been meaning to but, have failed to drill a hole and install a probe into the intake pipe….I need to get this done!

That said, while the tractor was being ran on the PTO Dyno for two hours under heavy load, I repeatedly grabbed the intake charge pipe with my bare hands and the pipes were only warm to the touch. So, I don’t believe the air coming out of the Turbo is overly warm. I don’t believe there would be much benefit (if any) adding an intercooler to the tractor.

If we had to have an intercooler debate, I would advocate for a water/air, or even water/meth injection over an air/air intercooler on a tractor application. But, as I mentioned, I don’t believe an intercooler is even close to necessary at these low boost levels.

Mike

Hahnsolo

Equipment
Mar 13, 2023
Rocky Mountains
Great question. I’ve been meaning to but, have failed to drill a hole and install a probe into the intake pipe….I need to get this done!

That said, while the tractor was being ran on the PTO Dyno for two hours under heavy load, I repeatedly grabbed the intake charge pipe with my bare hands and the pipes were only warm to the touch. So, I don’t believe the air coming out of the Turbo is overly warm. I don’t believe there would be much benefit (if any) adding an intercooler to the tractor.

If we had to have an intercooler debate, I would advocate for a water/air, or even water/meth injection over an air/air intercooler on a tractor application. But, as I mentioned, I don’t believe an intercooler is even close to necessary at these low boost levels.

Mike
Well, hands can be pretty good sensors for ball park results! This is encouraging, as it's one less thing I will have to deal with on my upgrade. I am always only running the machine in cold winter conditions anyway.

BTW, I found the Muffler Flange that bolts up to the turbo exhaust outlet. These are tricky little buggers to source. They have been redesigned from the original part shown in the assembly diagram you linked. I think the new design will work better because the exhaust comes out the side instead of the top:

s-l1600.png

Also, there is a replacement exhaust manifold that looks like it will allow the turbo to bolt right up to it:

Exhaust Manifold.JPG

This is all speculative until I get brave and just pull the trigger on purchasing all these parts.

Solo

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
^^^^^
It depends on the application and how much clearance you'll have in an around the Turbo. This setup is designed for industrial generators and they typically have more room in the engine compartment. This manifold and adapter would not work with the L2501/2. However, it may work for your application.

Mike

Hahnsolo

Equipment
Mar 13, 2023
Rocky Mountains
^^^^^
It depends on the application and how much clearance you'll have in an around the Turbo. This setup is designed for industrial generators and they typically have more room in the engine compartment. This manifold and adapter would not work with the L2501/2. However, it may work for your application.

Mike
Yup, you can only do so much with visualization and measuring. From what I can tell right now it will fit, but just barely. I'll keep you posted.

Solo

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
Here are pictures of the updated L2501 Turbo Exhaust;

Exhaust2.jpg

Exhaust1.jpg

Exhaust3.jpg

The update has further improved to keep the exhaust fumes away from the operator station and IMHO, also improves the aesthetics of the Turbo package.

Mike

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
That looks really clean. I like seeing the updates. Keep'em coming. (y)

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
I ran my exhaust straight up.
I find you breath less of it that way.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
I ran my exhaust straight up.
I find you breath less of it that way.
I would be pretty cool to run the exhaust straight up....but, I don't want to cut a hole in the hood, lol

Mike

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
Here's the new ISSPro Boost/EGT gauge combination setup I have installed on the tractor for the L2501 Turbo Kit;

Gauge1.jpg

Gauge2.jpg

Gauge3.jpg

I really like this particular gauge setup. Having the ability to read both boost pressure and EGT temperatures on the same gauge is a real bonus and it definitely beats my previous two gauge diagnostic setup I had installed on the tractor previously. The IssPro is a marine gauge so it should resist the outside elements well and hold up to normal tractor use which is really good since my diagnostic gauges didn't like the elements.

The boost section of this particular gauge isn't the most accurate but, boost is the least important element to monitor. The EGT readings however, are reliable and very consistent to the readings I was recording on my diagnostic gauge.
That said, I wouldn't want this gauge to replace a diagnostic gauge for tuning purposes. For tuning, I highly, highly recommend the use of diagnostic gauges.

This is a great gauge setup for long term use and engine health monitoring! Anybody considering the installation of a Turbo Kit on one of these tractors is going to have to monitor EGT's for the duration of the Turbo installation to ensure engine health and longevity. Hard to beat this setup!

Mike

Reactions: 1 users

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
As long as you aren't doing anything crazy you shouldn't need an EGT.
If you pop the waste gate and roll coal, then yeah.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
As long as you aren't doing anything crazy you shouldn't need an EGT.
If you pop the waste gate and roll coal, then yeah.
I personally believe the EGT's need to be monitored to ensure engine health and longevity. I say this because when mowing steep hills through tall grass, tilling, running a wood chipper, snow blowing, or spinning a 15kW PTO generator we're recording fluctuating loads and EGT's ranging anywhere from 600-1,100 degrees.
The highest EGT we recorded was actually on the PTO dyno which was 1,185 degrees.

I don't feel this mod is a 'set it and forget it' type of modification especially considering it'll be 'self tuned' and folks are messing with their factory fuel delivery settings. I believe it's good practice to continue to monitor EGT's when the fuel settings have been changed (Turbo or N/A).

Now, if you're installing the Turbo Kit solely for altitude compensation and you're not adjusting the factory fuel settings, then yeah, you're probably okay not monitoring EGT. But, I'd still recommend it just for the sole reason...it's a wise thing to do.

Mike

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
I didn't turn up the fuel on mine as it was rolling coal with out the turbo.
I bet egt was hitting 1,100 to 1,200f now it's probably barely going over 1,000f.

Hahnsolo

Equipment
Mar 13, 2023
Rocky Mountains
Hi Mike:

Good call on the EGT monitoring. I am building a gauge set that will include this critical measurement.

I am about to order my turbo and get started on this mod, but I do have one further question: Being that I am at ~8000' altitude, I am wondering if the TD025 turbocharger is big enough to handle the task, since I am already down 3 to 4 PSI from sea level (+14.7 PSI). In your opinion, do you think I may need to go up a size or two?

Solo