L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The tractor, The comparison, The modification, The results...

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
It's starting to make the case for keeping the fuel timing retarded (stock) when planning a turbo upgrade.

You would think that the method of removing gasket material to advance the fuel timing would not only advance the timing, but also increase the travel on the cam, which would also increase the potential fuel volume per cycle.

Did this latest dyno result use a turbo kit with the latest changes:
Allowance for hood shock.
Reduced exhaust pipe diameter at the sharp bend coming off the turbo unit?

Just curious at this point.
I think you’re right. At least, that’s where the data is leading. I just need a few more examples to come to a conclusion. So, the other L2501 Turbo w/ the injection pump timing mod basically made the same power as my tractor. However, it required a greater load from the dyno to reach the same gains. He’s also generating a bunch more smoke on startup and more smoke just before the turbo becomes efficient.

His Turbo setup is identical to mine. So, no, he doesn’t have the new reduced diameter downpipe, but does have the new charge pipe. I’ll be testing and posting the results of the reduced diameter downpipe modification sometime in the near future.

To me, that would indicate your thesis is correct.

Reactions: 1 user

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
I haven’t been using my tractor very much this past month. We’ve been getting a TON of rain but, no snow yet. However, I’ve been in contact with a couple guys in the high elevations and they’re reporting the Turbo Kit is providing effortless power for their snow blowers and both tractors are on stock fuel settings.

Mike

Reactions: 2 users

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
How “easy” is it to find a dyno that a tractor can be run on? IIRC, early in this thread you mentioned it took some effort to find one. But maybe you were looking for a certain type?

Another member here on OTT is suffering with a low power situation. Reportedly his dealer put the tractor on their dyno and determined it’s fine, although they then determined the fuel is contaminated and the repair is $10k.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Mike,
Do you have enough "kits" out in the field yet to have feedback on things like ease of installation or potential re-design of parts?

I would guess a ton of L2501 owners might be watching and waiting for version 2(if that occurs) or counting down the time till they get to closer to the end of their drive train warranty.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
How “easy” is it to find a dyno that a tractor can be run on? IIRC, early in this thread you mentioned it took some effort to find one. But maybe you were looking for a certain type?

Another member here on OTT is suffering with a low power situation. Reportedly his dealer put the tractor on their dyno and determined it’s fine, although they then determined the fuel is contaminated and the repair is $10k.
It depends. I have two reasonably sized Kubota dealers within 30-40 miles of my home. One of the dealers has a dyno, the other does not. The dealer that doesn’t have a dyno used to have one but, sold it because it saw little use. My other dealer is in more of a rural area and the dyno is used more frequently because of the farming industry in that area. The dynamometers are expensive so it really depends on the dealers needs and if they wish to invest in that type of equipment.

When I was originally searching for a dyno I focused my efforts on the more populated areas. In my case, that was a mistake. It was the more rural dealers that ended up having that equipment.

Mike

• Love

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
Mike,
Do you have enough "kits" out in the field yet to have feedback on things like ease of installation or potential re-design of parts?

I would guess a ton of L2501 owners might be watching and waiting for version 2(if that occurs) or counting down the time till they get to closer to the end of their drive train warranty.

Mike,

We have L2501 Turbo Kits operating in;

Washington (x2)
Oregon
California
New Mexico
Colorado (x2)
Canada (x2)
Louisiana

We’re getting plenty of positive feedback. Most folks are able to install the Turbo Kit in 2-3 hours without too much hassle (always best to have a second pair of hands). Right now, the only component we are updating is the Turbo outlet/down-pipe. We’re going to make the pipe a little smaller on the outlet flange to make installation easier and have more clearance with the heat shield. That’s about it. I’ll post some pics once that’s completed.

Mike

Reactions: 4 users

Alexisferos

Equipment
L-1501 DT
Oct 24, 2013
Greece
Your experience with the L2501 sounds like it matches what I encountered. I went through a similar process, exploring kubota tractor supply, and bought a KUBOTA LX3520HSD for about $34,155. It was a step up from the smaller models I initially considered, but it was an excellent fit for my needs. Like you, I was looking for something with enough power and versatility for various tasks around my property. The LX3520HSD has handled everything I've thrown at it, from landscaping to moving heavy materials. It's always a balancing act between size, power, and cost.

Last edited:

X-Pup

Equipment
L2501, 526 Loader W/QC LP RCF2060 Cutter, BB 1260-82, 3RD Function, top&Tilt
Nov 13, 2022
Washington
L2501 - Check!
Carport - Check!

Now for the turbo. That's coming but for now I'm temporarily broke. LOL :ROFLMAO:

(Please get another one ready)

Bonus though, I found out the dealer I bought my tractor from does have a dyno. :)

I thought about running a before and after but I'm not sure I want to incur the added cost.
It would be a great experience though. I'm pretty sure I got one of the last "new" L2501. They had to order it and bring it in from another dealer. They didn't want to be stuck with it on the lot embarrassing their lineup of new L2502's.

Last edited:

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
L2501 - Check!
Carport - Check!

Now for the turbo. That's coming but for now I'm temporarily broke. LOL :ROFLMAO:

(Please get another one ready)

Bonus though, I found out the dealer I bought my tractor from does have a dyno. :)

I thought about running a before and after but I'm not sure I want to incur the added cost.
It would be a great experience though. I'm pretty sure I got one of the last "new" L2501. They had to order it and bring it in from another dealer. They didn't want to be stuck with it on the lot embarrassing their lineup of new L2502's.
For sure!
We’re working on a couple new Turbo Kits now!

I too wanted to perform a before/after dyno but, unfortunately it wasn’t an option for me. However, if we can get another local sale, I’m hoping I can convince them to do a before and after dyno. I’d just like to have it documented. I’m confident in the performance of the Turbo Kit since we now have three L2501’s making 35 PTO HP with virtually the same fuel settings I have on mine.

Mike

Reactions: 1 users