l2501 sputtering

Shadetree03

Equipment
L2501, King Kutter, Landscape Rake, Titan 3pt forks
Sep 20, 2017
Pueblo, CO
Just changed out the fuel filter and used a oil pan under the filter to catch the drain back from the prime lines...Its only a cup or so depending on how fast you spin the plastic bowl off, but it saves a mess. I didn't see any crud in the filter or bowl, but now I know its fresh for the summer.

I left the prime wheel open, and after installing the new filter and screwing it on, diesel filled the bowl and ran over before I got it screwed hand tight.

Then I closed the prime wheel, and it fired right off-- we'll see if I have any more stutters with longer run time. I would operate the tractor for an bit to get it up to temp before doing the fuel filter change... It just fires off easier after its warm, but probably not necessary for everyone

Attachments

Shadetree03

Equipment
L2501, King Kutter, Landscape Rake, Titan 3pt forks
Sep 20, 2017
Pueblo, CO
2018 l2501 HST has fresh air and fuel filter ,both o rings good on fuel filter have tried the loosen fuel cap and have good fuel flow thru the fuel filter. had it at the dealer and they cant recreate the sputter so they wont work on it. it started a couple months ago and the weather temp is not part of it since its warm now and still happens
I finally cured the sputtering problem on my L2501 that would occur at 1800 or higher RPM usually after a little work and warmed up. After changing fuel filters a couple times and pricing the lift pump #1G896-52030 online I held off the last two years. I dropped by the local dealer and visited with a helpful service manager, and he said they have changed out about 3 of the diaphragm lift pumps on the L2501's and even had a takeoff in his desk drawer.... said that he didn't know of a quick check, but suggested I change it out. I was surprised that they had one in stock but also that the price was now about $140 so I bought it and prepared to change it out. I knew that getting to the 10 mm hex head machine bolts was difficult (especially the top one, so I went to the supply store and got a couple pan-head 6 mm phillips cap screws to go back it with.

I had a couple small bolt plugs to reduce the diesel leakage from the hoses while swapping out and a pan underneath so all went pretty smooth (I was glad for a clean floor underneath as my old fingers seem to drop small parts quite often). About an hour to finish the swap out, open the bleed valve, and fire it off to prime then close the bleed valve and and let warm up from the 30 degree temps here.

Happy to say, I moved and spread about 25 tons of road base gravel and could pull the throttle back to get a full 6 ft bucket of gravel and even lift it with out sputtering. I imagine my full consumption will be a little higher, but still only needed 5.6 gals at the pump and added a little winter and lubricity additive for its next workout. The service guy said they hadn't had any other major issues so hopefully I'm good after finishing off the 125 ton project and then when its warmer, doing a good Super UDT2 fluid and filter maintenance..

Two Dog Doug

Equipment
L2501, LA525 w/3rd valve, BH77, Land Pride SGC0660 Grapple, Ford 782 scraper
Feb 17, 2022
Groveland CA
I finally cured the sputtering problem on my L2501 that would occur at 1800 or higher RPM usually after a little work and warmed up. After changing fuel filters a couple times and pricing the lift pump #1G896-52030 online I held off the last two years. I dropped by the local dealer and visited with a helpful service manager, and he said they have changed out about 3 of the diaphragm lift pumps on the L2501's and even had a takeoff in his desk drawer.... said that he didn't know of a quick check, but suggested I change it out. I was surprised that they had one in stock but also that the price was now about $140 so I bought it and prepared to change it out. I knew that getting to the 10 mm hex head machine bolts was difficult (especially the top one, so I went to the supply store and got a couple pan-head 6 mm phillips cap screws to go back it with.

I had a couple small bolt plugs to reduce the diesel leakage from the hoses while swapping out and a pan underneath so all went pretty smooth (I was glad for a clean floor underneath as my old fingers seem to drop small parts quite often). About an hour to finish the swap out, open the bleed valve, and fire it off to prime then close the bleed valve and and let warm up from the 30 degree temps here.

Happy to say, I moved and spread about 25 tons of road base gravel and could pull the throttle back to get a full 6 ft bucket of gravel and even lift it with out sputtering. I imagine my full consumption will be a little higher, but still only needed 5.6 gals at the pump and added a little winter and lubricity additive for its next workout. The service guy said they hadn't had any other major issues so hopefully I'm good after finishing off the 125 ton project and then when its warmer, doing a good Super UDT2 fluid and filter maintenance..
I have been having the same issue when the tractor gets warm from working. Started about 200 hrs on the unit.

The service tech said to bleed the injector lines at the injector, while at an idle. Big problem, the 17mm fitting on the injector leaves no room to turn the wrench. Worse the #3 injector, can't even get a wrench on the fitting.

I am tempted to try replacing the lift pump, your post has been real helpful.

Have everything for the 300 Hr service (about 10 hrs away), excellent time to do the lift pump also.

Kubota l2501

Equipment
L2501
Oct 1, 2022
Ca.
2018 l2501 HST has fresh air and fuel filter ,both o rings good on fuel filter have tried the loosen fuel cap and have good fuel flow thru the fuel filter. had it at the dealer and they cant recreate the sputter so they wont work on it. it started a couple months ago and the weather temp is not part of it since its warm now and still happens

Kubota l2501

Equipment
L2501
Oct 1, 2022
Ca.
Mine was doing the same thing. Was able to get it to run good sometimes for a while but it started sputtering when it got warm or the fuel tank was low then it was doing it when the fuel tank was not so low then when it was almost full. I Installed a electric fuel pump in front of the stock one , and you could hear the engine clean up immediately disconnect the wire and it would start sputtering immediately. then I Just bypassed the stock Fuel pump. it hasnt sounded or run this good in years. With the electric fuel pump you can hear the fuel running back into the tank when the bleed valve is open.

Reactions: 1 users

Pharmboy

Equipment
Kubota L2501
Feb 17, 2023
Colorado
My L2501 sputtering problem was eliminated by replacing the lift pump. My tractor has 27 hr on it. When warmed up and under load, it had a definite miss and sputtering. My dealer said they are replacing an average of 1 per week on the new L2501 tractors. installing a temporary electric fuel pump immediately cleared up the problem. I wish to thank everyone here for sharing their experiences. You guys were a great help.

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan
My L2501 sputtering problem was eliminated by replacing the lift pump. My tractor has 27 hr on it. When warmed up and under load, it had a definite miss and sputtering. My dealer said they are replacing an average of 1 per week on the new L2501 tractors. installing a temporary electric fuel pump immediately cleared up the problem. I wish to thank everyone here for sharing their experiences. You guys were a great help.
when did you get yours? I got mine in June and have 30 hours and haven’t seen anything like this issue but I will be on the lookout for it now.

Pharmboy

Equipment
Kubota L2501
Feb 17, 2023
Colorado
I purchased mine in the fall of 2021. With the new lift pump, it has more power compared to when I first bought it.

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan
I purchased mine in the fall of 2021. With the new lift pump, it has more power compared to when I first bought it.
Okay. Thank you for responding. I just want to stay on top of any potential issues. I really haven’t noticed a lack of power at all with mine, so perhaps they changed the part or it was a bad batch?

Roknstevo

Jan 21, 2023
North Carolina
I am about to pick up a new L2501. Was this issue covered under warranty? If not, I will bring it up with the dealer prior to accepting my tractor. Thanx for the info, guys….

climbershane

Equipment
L2501
Mar 18, 2023
Arkansas
Have there been any updates to this?
I am having similar issues with my 2501 sputtering under any load around 540 hours. It's been doing it since 350ish and at my 400 hour service the dealership told me it was likely a fuel issue and to clean the fuel system, which I did and it hasn't helped any. Now they have quoted me a couple thousand to replace injectors, which after a 4 hour diagnosis wasn't the issue. They are saying there is a carbon residue in the cylinders, I'm not really sure as the mechanic wasn't in when I swung by there Friday. Something about wanting to send a fuel sample in etc where I only run standard diesel with the treatment they sell on the shelf and recommend. Right now they have the entire top end apart and not sure what's going on.

I'm afraid that I'll be stuck paying them ridiculous shop rates for diagnosis that isn't going anywhere, and feel that 540 hours is a bit early to be having these types of problems.

Reactions: 1 user

Roknstevo

Jan 21, 2023
North Carolina
I’ve
I am having similar issues with my 2501 sputtering under any load around 540 hours. It's been doing it since 350ish and at my 400 hour service the dealership told me it was likely a fuel issue and to clean the fuel system, which I did and it hasn't helped any. Now they have quoted me a couple thousand to replace injectors, which after a 4 hour diagnosis wasn't the issue. They are saying there is a carbon residue in the cylinders, I'm not really sure as the mechanic wasn't in when I swung by there Friday. Something about wanting to send a fuel sample in etc where I only run standard diesel with the treatment they sell on the shelf and recommend. Right now they have the entire top end apart and not sure what's going on.

I'm afraid that I'll be stuck paying them ridiculous shop rates for diagnosis that isn't going anywhere, and feel that 540 hours is a bit early to be having these types of problems.
I just started using my 2501. Less than 5 hrs. Been using it to box blade and move dirt so far. Thanks for the info. Sorry you’re having trouble. My salesman told me not to use any diesel additives as they are a waste of money. He says buy fuel only from stations with high turnover and should get clean fuel. I’m still debating over that. I’ll keep an eye on mine as time goes on. Thanks for posting, and good luck.

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.

The most common problem has been the lift pump. I have replaced lots of them. They have two rubber check valves in them. The check valves come out of place. Every one I have replaced has had the same issue. I cut them apart to check. Nothing broken just the check valve out of place and the pump won't pump. Vary easy to troubleshoot bad pump. Taking the top end apart sounds a little extreme. I hope they find the problem. I take care a lot of L2501 machines and have not seen any engine problems.

Scott.vy1co

Equipment
L2501
Mar 7, 2020
Yukon, Canada
Well known issue with the 2501 that no-one 'knows' about...replaced my pump with a much bigger electric fuel pump and it runs like a champ---better than it ever did. It had the same stumbling problem at higher revs and under load. Kubota removed the mechanical pump, put a cover plate on it and then re-routed he fuel line to the electric pump mounted on the firewall...same size electric pump used on the bigger 'L's...all covered under warranty....I recall the mechanical pump was 1psi wheras the electric was 7 psi...overkill, but no issues.