L2501 PTO electrical switch - water?

vanpemr

Equipment
L2501
Jan 13, 2024
Oxford, WI
Running an L2501 with a rear mounted snowblower. It's been a lot of snow the past week. Started having issues with the motor shutting down even though everything is disengaged AND not starting again after shutdown. It doesn't appear to be the Deadman switch; it looks like the little buttons on the PTO engage were hanging up.

I'm assuming it's a water issue as it was coated in snow/ice. Cleaned off, dried it, now I can hear both little buttons under the Spring actuator click when disengaging the PTO. Coated everything with dielectric grease and hoping.

Do these switches have water issues? Is replacement just a good idea (110 hrs)?

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Get it warm and then spray the switches with WD40, try to get into cracks.
That will help drive the water out.
Typically it's the seat switch causes stalling issues.

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
My 2501 doesn't have "buttons" but I was having a starting problem that was "PTO switch" related.

Long story short, I had to take it in for a speedo cable issue and told them that I had to "push" on the PTO lever to start it and that it probably needed adjusting/replacement.

When i picked it up, the service manager told me that I need to lube the connections more often because they get sticky fairly quickly and then the return spring cannot pull hard enough.

So maybe you are experiencing something similar'ish?

Reactions: 1 user

vanpemr

Equipment
L2501
Jan 13, 2024
Oxford, WI
Running an L2501 with a rear mounted snowblower. It's been a lot of snow the past week. Started having issues with the motor shutting down even though everything is disengaged. It doesn't appear to be the Deadman switch; it looks like the little buttons on the PTO engage were hanging up.

I'm assuming it's a water issue as it was coated in snow/ice. Cleaned off, dried it, now I can hear both little buttons under the Spring actuator click when disengaging the PTO. Coated everything with dielectric grease and hoping.

Do these switches have water issues? Is replacement just a good idea (110 hrs)?
This is the little beastie I'm playing with (#2 in the pic). Dried out, greased temporarily, going to dig into the parts lists and find this & just replace it. The little plastic
1-372.png
wiring connectors were wet too so the new one is going to get something to seal those up too, like some tactically shrunk tubing
================
EDIT - yeesh, that's in two units?

PTO safety sw.png

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
sadly 'they' are using really,really cheap mechanical switches that WILL fail. Fork out $2 and problem is solved with a SEALED switch.....

vanpemr

Equipment
L2501
Jan 13, 2024
Oxford, WI
sadly 'they' are using really,really cheap mechanical switches that WILL fail. Fork out $2 and problem is solved with a SEALED switch.....
GreensvilleJay - Sealed Switch? Other than what I found in the parts list, is there somewhere else to go for a better switch? Or do you mean modifying something else to work/fit?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I've designed/built energy control systems and 'proof of concepts' for about 5 decades, so I think 'outside the box'. Places like 'Digikey' have 10s of 1,000s of 'switches'..good place to start. I've used 'security / buglar alarm' switches for lots of 'problem' areas. These are 'reed relay switches' activated by magnets. Contacts are in a sealed glass tube so no dust/dirt/water affects them,come in a 1/2x1/2x1 1/2 plastic shell with 2 holes for mounting,so you'll have to figure out a mounting method that works. it's a do-it-once deal though.
As for the OEM switch, find the manufacturer of it(check case for markings...Kubota don't make them...) then see if they make a sealed equal to it. Many mfrs make 'industrial rated' versions along with the 'economy' lines.