L2501 Possible Fuel Issue

Broomtown

Equipment
L2501 (2017); FEL-LA525; Rotary Cutter-RCR 1860; Tiller-RTR 1258
May 16, 2020
northeast, al, usa
My L2501 is really bogging down when under a load. Shakes, skips, etc.. Has all the classic symptoms described in this forum as water/algae in fuel or clogging lines. The tractor is 2017 model and has 52 hours service. I started to notice this “bogging” issue around 47 hours. It would just be a quick skip in the engine and then be fine for another hour or so. But it got progressively worse.
I knew it was almost time for me to perform the 50 hour maintenance and thought installing a new fuel and air filter would solve the skipping problem. It did not. Still the exact same problem. I did not drain the tank fuel when I did service. I didn’t note any trash or water inside the fuel bowl. I did add 5 gallons of fresh (off-road) fuel and treated the 5 gallons with this Star-Tron additive per the additive manufacturers recommended ratio. That’s the only treated fuel I’ve ever ran through this machine. Yes I know—shame on me. Pretty sure this problem is all my fault. But in my defense, I’ve never owned anything with a diesel engine. I also didn’t know that a tractor needs to go through winter with a full tank of fuel. With treatment added. My tractor also sits outside. So everything you could do wrong related to fuel, I did it for 2.5 years. Now payday is here. I’m still learning and maybe people will read and learn as I have. Now a couple questions about fixing this whole debacle………
I plan to totally drain the tank and dispose of my ¾ tank of fuel. Not taking any chances. I suppose that’s the best action to start with? My simple mind breaks the fuel system into 2 halves; fuel tank-side of the bowl and engine-side of the bowl.
• I just remove the fuel line from the bottom of the tank, clean the inside of the tank, blow out the line with compressed air?
• Do I need to do anything initially on the engine-side of the fuel bowl?
• I suppose I need to install another new fuel filter.
• What is the favorite fuel additive of the experts here? What’s the best product to add to the first tank of new fuel that will help blow the gunk out of the lines, injectors, etc.? What ratio per 5 gallons? From reading here, sounds like most folks use way more than manufacturers recommended ratios. Also, our winter temps seldom get below 20 degrees around these parts so I’m not concerned about fuel gelling and such.
• Any concerns about getting the fuel system primed back up? I’m thinking it’s just let the bowl get filled similar to when I changed the filter?
Any advice would be appreciated.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
bump.... somehow this thread got auto moderated unnecessarily... so bumping it up so it will gets seen.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I would use a fuel dryer first. It may just be a little water in the tank. Add whatever brand of fuel dryer you find, make sure it is for diesel and not gas, change the filter, even if you just did and try it again. You may not need to go to the extreme.

Also Harbor Freight has a tarp hut you could use to help protect your investment. It is only around $175 dollars plus you can find a coupon often to get a better price.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I should have started my reply with drain some fuel into a clear glass container and check for algae. If there are no floaters then it is probably just water.

Pharmer Joe

Oct 16, 2019
Orange County, NY
I would use a fuel dryer first. It may just be a little water in the tank. Add whatever brand of fuel dryer you find, make sure it is for diesel and not gas, change the filter, even if you just did and try it again. You may not need to go to the extreme.

Also Harbor Freight has a tarp hut you could use to help protect your investment. It is only around $175 dollars plus you can find a coupon often to get a better price.
Here is 20% until June 30th: https://go.harborfreight.com/coupons/2019/08/20-off-any-single-item-at-harbor-freight/

or just put this code in your phone and tell them at checkout "24619235"

90% of the time when I have problems with equipment, its something small and simple. So I'm with BigG on this one.

No sense in going to those extremes until you eliminate the probable perpetrator.

and a free bump/goodluck

Broomtown

Equipment
L2501 (2017); FEL-LA525; Rotary Cutter-RCR 1860; Tiller-RTR 1258
May 16, 2020
northeast, al, usa
Thanks folks for the replies. I will take the advice and try to dry it out with fuel additive first. I think I need to start doing a heavier pour with the additive. Thanks for the tarp code also. I'll post my results in a couple days. Thanks again.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Thanks folks for the replies. I will take the advice and try to dry it out with fuel additive first.
I would strongly recommend against trying to "dry it out" and running it through the filter, pump, and injectors if there's any possibility there's that much water is the system to affect performance. All you're doing is emulsifying the water and running it through the system. I don't believe it's common rail but you can still do damage. Pull the filter, drain the fuel, and try fresh. If there's any pasty water or black crud in the filter or fuel you drain, you'll need a biocide. Make sure your Startron is for diesel... red label is for gasoline. Many guys here use Soltron (different product) for storage, and Stanadyne for winter.

Last edited: