L2501 Modifications

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
He’s a busy guy. I’m still patiently waiting, albeit, looking at alternative turbo options.

Mike

Mikemoto17

Equipment
L2501 HST BH77 backhoe LA525 loader woodland Mills Pto chipper
Oct 21, 2020
California
Sorry guys still using the tractor like crazy 😂 thanks for patiently waiting. Pto Dyno is like 2 hours from me so gonna load her up next week and get on it. Otherwise it’s still taking a beating.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
Thanks for the update!

Looking forward to the PTO dyno results.

Mike

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
^^^^
I’m sure he’s just busy. He’ll respond at some point….

Member greenacresnorth posted previously that his L2501 turbo upgrade resulted in 31 PTO HP @ 2,500 RPM with 4lbs of boost. That’s a pretty impressive gain!

I’ll be moving forward with a Turbo on my L2501 at some point in the near future.

Mike

Reactions: 1 users

Porcupine

Equipment
L2501
Jun 15, 2021
NC
^^^^
I’m sure he’s just busy. He’ll respond at some point….

Member greenacresnorth posted previously that his L2501 turbo upgrade resulted in 31 PTO HP @ 2,500 RPM with 4lbs of boost. That’s a pretty impressive gain!

I’ll be moving forward with a Turbo on my L2501 at some point in the near future.

Mike
Please provide updates as you go.

I have no intention of doing this to my L2501, yet I’m strangely fascinated with the idea. ;)

Reactions: 1 user

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
This really makes me want to add an L2501 to my collection now.

tractorX

Equipment
KUBOTA L2501 DT 5' BOX BLADE 42" FORKS PIRANHA TB 5' BUSH HOG 6' GRADER
Sep 27, 2013
Rock Spring GA.
need to make this a sticky thread! good place for mods and data on the l2501 with D1703 engine.

NetMagi

Equipment
BX25D (sold), L2501HST w/BH77 Backhoe
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
I have a video coming soon on my youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/c/netmagi)

In total, I have now:

1: Increased hyd. pressure
2: Increased RPM's
3: Advanced timing by ~3 degrees
4: Installed EGT probe
5: Turned up fueling

It's a beast now. It runs better, smokes less, sounds better, and has significantly more HP, though I really wish I had a way to measure it. It struggled to go up my driveway in M before. In H, you could basically bog it to stalling. Now it zips up in H gear with ~250rpm drop.

I was entertaining turbo'ing it, and it still sounds like a fun project, but I don't think it's necessary. I "feel" like I'm around 35-38hp now, and it "feels" just right for the tractor size. 25hp isn't enough. The ~50 you'd get turbo'ing it is probably overkill for the tractor size (not that there's anything wrong with overkill!).

Vid should be coming out in the next 3 weeks. I'm just wrapping up editing on a series now of fixing up a free riding mower. The L2501 engine mod vid will be after that. I also JUST picked up a D1703 on Facebook for $500 that was swapped under warranty from a piece of paving equip. It looks very low hours and turns freely. Looking forward to digging into that as well.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
I have a video coming soon on my youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/c/netmagi)

In total, I have now:

It's a beast now. It runs better, smokes less, sounds better, and has significantly more HP, though I really wish I had a way to measure it. It struggled to go up my driveway in M before. In H, you could basically bog it to stalling. Now it zips up in H gear with ~250rpm drop.

I was entertaining turbo'ing it, and it still sounds like a fun project, but I don't think it's necessary. I "feel" like I'm around 35-38hp now, and it "feels" just right for the tractor size. 25hp isn't enough. The ~50 you'd get turbo'ing it is probably overkill for the tractor size (not that there's anything wrong with overkill!).

Vid should be coming out in the next 3 weeks. I'm just wrapping up editing on a series now of fixing up a free riding mower. The L2501 engine mod vid will be after that. I also JUST picked up a D1703 on Facebook for $500 that was swapped under warranty from a piece of paving equip. It looks very low hours and turns freely. Looking forward to digging into that as well.
I look forward to your video!

I purchased a EGT probe but just haven’t got around to installing it. Several other projects have taken over but, I hope to get back to the L2501 sometime soon.

Mike

orksnork

Equipment
L2501
Oct 26, 2021
Oregon

In total, I have now:

Also looking forward to your video. Are you going to go through the timing adjustment process?

tractorX

Equipment
KUBOTA L2501 DT 5' BOX BLADE 42" FORKS PIRANHA TB 5' BUSH HOG 6' GRADER
Sep 27, 2013
Rock Spring GA.

In total, I have now:

thanks for the update @NetMagi! leave it to you gearheads! this has been a great thread for the D1703 and l2501. lets keep info and data posted.... MAKE THIS STICKY MODS!!!

ill BOLO for your vid and sub dude... and thanks again, you da man!!!

Last edited: