L2501 losing power

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Somewhere around here someone posted a stainless coffee strainer that fits in the filler neck.
Never had an issue myself. However, I don't fill up out in the bush. Always back at the shop and after wiping down the Guelph cap and filler neck before taking the cap off.
Guess it wouldn't hurt to put one of the Java screens in though.
I use a Mr Funnel when fueling. It’s supposed to filter everything, including water. About $25 on Amazon.

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Bad fuel pump.
She's running like new.
Thanks for the update.

I hate when a thread has no resolution.

Did you do the test that was described above, or just replace it out of desperation/warranty?

Reactions: 1 users

mikeyt

Equipment
L2501
Apr 25, 2023
NC
Thanks for the update.

I hate when a thread has no resolution.

Did you do the test that was described above, or just replace it out of desperation/warranty?
I did not test it.
I took it to another dealer and they cleaned some lines and fittings and thought they fixed it.
Well it takes 15 to 20 minutes for it to really start running bad and they did not run it more than a couple minutes.
I finally convinced them my tank was clean, I personally removed it and cleaned it plus fuel would pour out the hose when disconnected, so she said they would replace the pump and try that.
Took it back next morning. They replaced the pump and let me drag gravel around their lot for 20 minutes to make sure it was good.

If anyone in Eastern NC need service I HIGHLY recommend Nash Equipment in Burgaw, NC.

Reactions: 2 users

TXLonghorn91

Equipment
L2501
Aug 23, 2023
Texas
Remove the lines from the fuel pump. Plug the line coming from the tank so you don't lose fuel. Put your finger over the inlet side of the fuel pump. Crank the engine. Fuel pump should create a vacuum and hold. If it does not the fuel pump is bad. I have replaced a lot of fuel pumps on these machines where the check valves inside of the pump pop out. Have the same symptoms you're talking about. It's a quick easy test.
How do you get the top bolt out of the lift pump? Is that a power steering line that has to be removed? Thanks. Have the same symptoms.

mikeyt

Equipment
L2501
Apr 25, 2023
NC
How do you get the top bolt out of the lift pump? Is that a power steering line that has to be removed? Thanks. Have the same symptoms.
My issue was not the lift pump. It was the small fuel pump behind the fuel filter/ws housing.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have been a technician for 18 years and currently work for a dealer

I would not recommend any additives (sea foam)

Only diesel conditioner for the winter to pervent gelling
I agree also!
No Sea Foam!

Drewneven

Equipment
L2501
Aug 27, 2023
Hamilton Ontario
I use a Mr Funnel when fueling. It’s supposed to filter everything, including water. About $25 on Amazon.
Is this thing really this sensitive? I’ve had a few kubotas over the years and never had an issue. My l2501 is a piece of junk. Been to the dealer twice now for running like crap and having no power. They drain the fuel,clean everything out and ask me where I’m getting the fuel from. The fix might last an hour. I’ve always bought fuel in clean plastic cans at new gas stations and never store it very long. Sometimes it’s ok for a bit but often just bogs down and sputters when you rev it up. Don’t even think about cutting grass uphill! I want my old kubota back! My understanding is it something with the emissions regulations and they basically’” de-tuned” the 30hp to make it meet the 25 hp threshold. Pretty sure they engineered a piece of garbage and won’t admit it.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Is this thing really this sensitive? I’ve had a few kubotas over the years and never had an issue. My l2501 is a piece of junk. Been to the dealer twice now for running like crap and having no power. They drain the fuel,clean everything out and ask me where I’m getting the fuel from. The fix might last an hour. I’ve always bought fuel in clean plastic cans at new gas stations and never store it very long. Sometimes it’s ok for a bit but often just bogs down and sputters when you rev it up. Don’t even think about cutting grass uphill! I want my old kubota back! My understanding is it something with the emissions regulations and they basically’” de-tuned” the 30hp to make it meet the 25 hp threshold. Pretty sure they engineered a piece of garbage and won’t admit it.
IDK why you’re having those issues. My 2 year old MX has being doing fine without a hiccup. It’s my understanding that the L2501 has no emissions equipment. I suspect that you have a fueling system issue with either the lift pump, or injection system. Or perhaps still some gunk somewhere in the system. Have you had any of the components tested?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Have you used anything to try and eliminate the biological stuff that might be growing in your diesel tank and clogging filters and tubes?

Most refer to it as diesel “algae“ and there are additives that can clean it from the system.

TXLonghorn91

Equipment
L2501
Aug 23, 2023
Texas
Have you used anything to try and eliminate the biological stuff that might be growing in your diesel tank and clogging filters and tubes?

Most refer to it as diesel “algae“ and there are additives that can clean it from the system.
I would examine a fuel sample in a clear jar and if it looks ok , just replace the lift pump. Took me about an hour and the average owner can probably do it. Our old Ford 1700 25 hp has been running on the same fuel without issue so I replaced the lift pump and it runs like new.

mikeyt

Equipment
L2501
Apr 25, 2023
NC
Replace the fuel pump.

TECH101

Equipment
Kubota - Bobcat - Caterpillar - Case - John Deere - FARM - CONSTRUCTION -
Mar 8, 2022
Canada
If you are like mechanics at other dealers, you probably only recommend what Kubota tells you to. That's not all bad but isn't the only possible solution. There is a reason why forums like this one exist.

Do you have a solution that costs about the same as Diesel Kleen and Sea-Foam, or what would you have the OP do?
If you are like mechanics at other dealers, you probably only recommend what Kubota tells you to. That's not all bad but isn't the only possible solution. There is a reason why forums like this one exist.

Do you have a solution that costs about the same as Diesel Kleen and Sea-Foam, or what would you have the OP do?
All manufacturers recommend that you use conditioner for certain temperatures, it is not just Kubota it is all manufacturers with diesel equipment.

TECH101

Equipment
Kubota - Bobcat - Caterpillar - Case - John Deere - FARM - CONSTRUCTION -
Mar 8, 2022
Canada

All equipment manufacturers using diesel engines recommend that you use conditioner ! Either from the engine manufacturer or the equipment manufacturer or both. It is not just Kubotas recommendation in fact there only recommendation t

Yes. Diesel conditioner the only recommendation period.