L2501 losing power

white cloud

Sep 15, 2016
S.C.
Our L2501 is about five years old. I have kept the maintenance up to what is recommended in the manual. I am starting to notice a distinct loss of power. Any ideas or advice on how rectify this would be appreciated.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
When was the last time you changed the fuel filter? Also check the air cleaner. Add some fuel drier to the tank.

Reactions: 2 users

Tropical Jack

Equipment
Kubota L3301 w/ FEL & BH, tilt and trim, chipper, box blade, grading blade
I am not an expert, but I think you need more details to get an answer. How many hours on tractor? Loss of power in what way - at the PTO? While moving? Hydraulic power?

What type transmission? A little more detail might provide an answer from the experts - or lead you in the right direction.

Jack

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
When was the last time you changed the fuel filter? Also check the air cleaner. Add some fuel drier to the tank.
Those are my thoughts as well. Change air and fuel filters and maybe drain tank and fill with fresh fuel.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Most of the time on a "new" tractor - a loss of power falls into one of two categories - fuel delivery/psi or hydraulic pressure flow/pressure.

If yours is a HST - is it losing speed? OR is it not picking up as much at the FEL

As Jack mentioned - we need a lot more info to be helpful

white cloud

Sep 15, 2016
S.C.
First thanks for the replies.

The tractor is an HST with 4WD with about 250 hours. It seems to lift things just find. It's when I go up hill. The tractor's engine starts losing RPM in places it didn't before. I have changed the HST filter and air filter recently.

I have a spare fuel filter and could change that. What is a recommended brand of "fuel dryer". Any other ideas are certainly appreciated. I can try the fuel filter idea this afternoon.

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
Our L2501 is about five years old. I have kept the maintenance up to what is recommended in the manual. I am starting to notice a distinct loss of power. Any ideas or advice on how rectify this would be appreciated.
You may have to look further if changing the fuel filter doesn't cure the problem. It could be restricted fuel delivery from other than a blocked fuel filter.
It could be a restriction somewhere in the fuel delivery system so start at the connection to the injector pump and work towards the tank. It could be a pinched hose or fuel line, blockage in a fitting, blockage in the filter/water separator head etc. If you have a lift pump, is it functioning? Does it have a screen that can clog? How about fuel quality i.e. water in fuel or summer fuel being used in cold ambient temperatures? Bacterial sludge in the fuel tank?

There have been a lot of posts about HST problems so maybe someone can address how you might check that.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Sounds as if you have a fuel delivery problem......

Let me ask you this .......... going "up hill" - what range are you in L - M - H ??

IF your fuel gelled - it would slow down the delivery of the fuel going through the filter. Change your filter and try this:

this will be locally available

1643730847542.png

white cloud

Sep 15, 2016
S.C.
I am in "M" going up the hill.

I will change the filter and get a bottle of the stuff show above and report my results.

lgeist04

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC, LP RCF2060, LP SGC1060, Woodland Mills WG24, Titan forks.
Jan 2, 2020
Soldier ks
I had an issue with my L2501 similar to this. The problem was the brake return springs had come off underneath the tractor causing the brakes to drag. Check the 2 springs under you tractor that are attached to your brake pedals.

Reactions: 1 user

white cloud

Sep 15, 2016
S.C.
I checked the springs on the brake petals underneath the tractor. They looked fine to my untrained eyes. I put some diesel fuel stabilizer/injector cleaner in the fuel tank and changed the fuel filter. This resulted in improved power but not quite to normal. I am wondering if it might take a while for the cleaner to completely work.

Thanks to all that replied.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I checked the springs on the brake petals underneath the tractor. They looked fine to my untrained eyes. I put some diesel fuel stabilizer/injector cleaner in the fuel tank and changed the fuel filter. This resulted in improved power but not quite to normal. I am wondering if it might take a while for the cleaner to completely work.

Thanks to all that replied.
If you had a little water it may have gotten to the new filter. While it will "look good" it will not allow fuel to pass correctly. It may take 2 or 3 filters to clean up the mess along with fuel dryer.

Clint from Flint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2350, B26 TLB, Covington Plant., Landpride Tiller, Hustler Flip-up
Dec 12, 2020
Flint, Texas
Also check the fuel cap vent....if it's plugged or partially plugged that could cause a loss of power/loss of fuel delivery

white cloud

Sep 15, 2016
S.C.
I disassembled and cleaned the cap. Power is still not back to normal. I will order yet another fuel filter and report back. I would appreciate any other ideas.