L2501 config. advice

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Hi All, First post, and many thanks to the community here for all of the info and advice that I have absorbed over that last year lurking!

Settled and about to pull the trigger on L2501 as TLB.
FWIW: Have 20y using small Ford with 60"mmm and various minor attachments etc. Have approx 15 acres and many grading/dirt/rock projects stacked up for TLB and am going with the 525 & 77 w thumb. I do a lot of clearing & firewood (up 'til now the hard way!).

KEY Questions:
1) Should I have the dealer install the "Kubota" third function setup before delivery? (I have not costed it yet) but see the summit kit that a lot of people use is about $580

2) Also, If I run the BH77 mostly full-time, should I fill the tires up front (edit: sorry for the confusion I meant rears @ time of purchase ).

I am on the fence budget-wise as I know I will want a grapple sooner rather than later. I am reasonably experienced mechanically (tractor maintenance & old cars etc) and watched some videos regarding 3 Fxn installation, selection & various options on grapple types. It is a very major purchase to me and I have to draw the line but don't want to be stupid about it.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
This will serve you well as a grapple, as a rake, and as an aid to fill the bucket. It is the best money I ever spent on an attachment. Used it Saturday to clean out the shed and I did not have to do very much hand work as the bucket retained the hay and manure very well. I have had this one on 2 tractors over 15 years carrying logs, brush, dirt and anything else that will fit.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
1) Yes if there's not a big price difference. Otherwise, you should be able to install a kit yourself with your experience above.
2) I wouldn't as you can use a bucket full of dirt as ballast for the front.
3) If you are financing the purchase get the grapple now. Then it's not a $2000 hit at once but spread out over 60-84 months, hopefully at 0% interest.

Last edited:

DVR

Premium Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5400, L3560LE, L3301
May 8, 2020
Columbia, SC
No, to filling the front tires. use weights if you feel the need.
Or just put a scoop of dirt in the bucket when you use the BH (as mentioned)

Reactions: 1 user

bbxlr8

Equipment
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Thanks for the info. It is a good deal on the finance now, but everything has a way of snowballing.

SO... I know this is not the implement section, but is the LP grapple a good way to go (it is the only option up-front right)?

From info here and reviews/videos, it looks like there are some very good ones outside of LP out there.
I think I will be mainly using for logs, top limbs, brush etc.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I had the dealer install my 3rd Function. I think it was $850. I see no need to fill the front tires and don't exactly understand the relationship of needing it for the backhoe.

The Add A Grapple Big G linked looked pretty good. You can always get that or just wait and save up for a grapple later, but you will already have the 3rd function already there for when you do. That would pretty handy to have on a bucket anyway though.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Do you know the model Land Pride grapple and cost? I got the EA Attachments 55 Wicked grapple and have been happy with it.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I paid $900 to have a 3rd function hydraulic kit fitted on a L3901 (same as L2501), I just posted about a nice compact grapple that I purchased from MTL Attachments that was a lot of value at $999 delivered as it was a twin lid unit with 2 hydraulic cylinders.

See:

EA wicked grapples are very well made but just so expensive and they are single lid, a twin lid will hold variable loads better.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I'd go with the SGC0660 Land Pride grapple if I was financing it. Looks like it can be had for about the same price as a Wiked 55" grapple. I do agree with @UpNorthMI that a two lid is more ideal but with a smaller compact tractor I'd prefer the extra lifting capacity.

Last edited:

bbxlr8

Equipment
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Thanks again all. Sorry for the confusion on the tire fill. Meant getting them done at the time of purchase and the overall need in general - IF I had the BH to balance the load in front...

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
1. Grapple and 3rd function. If you're getting it soon, get it at time of purchase. Dealer will give you a discount, you can finance it. Yes you can do it yourself, but potentially not cheaper than you'll get a price on at time of purchase. But it's a money question, seems it's not hard to install yourself, so if it's cheaper to do it yourself and you're happy / enjoy doing so, then do it.

2. Filling tires. I believe it's generally not recommended with a backhoe - the extra weight in the tires is hard on the rams that lift the rear of the tractor with a backhoe. And when you're using the loader, put a counter weight on (the BH is a great counter weight, but so are lots of other things). I don't personally believe it's necessary to fill tires - what do you need filled rear tires for?

bbxlr8

Equipment
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Thanks all for the info.

Re: the tire fill, that was what my gut was telling me but haven't seen any discussion of that particular question in the archives. I will not do so and don't anticipate doing a lot of loader work w/out the backhoe. However, most people universally seem to find that there are many more uses and jobs once you have it available so it is not out of the question.

I am very excited to have actually pulled the trigger as you can analyze it to death! ;) Based on input here, I AM getting the third fxn dealer installed. Still on the fence re the LP gapple vs other aftermarket ones, but have a few weeks sitting tight while it is prepped to decide.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
My tires came filled and I didn't ask for them to be, but did not object when I saw it noted on my quote. I have no problem with them being filled. A flat tire may be a pain with them. The consensus here on why Kubota doesn't recommend filled tires with a backhoe is due to a possible rollover hazard and the rollbar failing. I really haven't worried about it. I seems many run backhoes with rear filled tires. All that weight will leave tracks on wet soil.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I usually give the same advice on filled tires. There are some disadvantages to filled tires, and some advantages. The advantages are stability and ballast. I believe that in most cases you can get those in other ways. The disadvantages are ongoing weight even when you don't want it (wet lawns), problems with changing or fixing tires, depending on what fluid you use it can rust your rims.

My view is you start without, it's easy to add it later if you need it. If you start with it, you'll never take it out, and never know if you actually needed it. You could get it added at the 50 hour service probably if you needed it. Or do it yourself.

Cranblue

Feb 23, 2019
Lincolnton NC
I have 4701 with Bh 92 did not fill rear tires hoe is plenty of ballast.I use ballast box with QH when needed I use tractor around house and yard don’t won’t extra weight when not needed.Obviously your tractor is lighter bare weight if you find your self light for pulling grade box set of disc etc you can explore tires filled or well weights .You also have FEL which gives you weight you can put some weight in front bucket tractor on 4x4 should help you pull rear implement or suit case front weights ?? I only needed ballast box for full buckets of dirt or pallet fork loads over 1500 lbs.

bbxlr8

Equipment
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Update: Went ahead and rolled the LP SGC0660 Grapple into the package after getting a very good price quote from the dealer. Expect to use on mostly logs/brush/rocks so it looks to be a decent balance of features. There are some nice ones out there for sure though...

I will have to be very careful with the rocks as I am on a ridge with glacial deposits throughout my woods. I joke, but it is actually the truth that I have rock sizes from softballs to Suburbans laying around! :confused:

BH is en route to the dealer and the eta on delivery to me is about 2 weeks...!! Going to wait on filling the tires for now.

bbxlr8

Equipment
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
One more question regarding the bucket:

I am getting the L2256 66" Quick Attach with the LA525. Is there a heavier duty QA bucket from Kubota and if so, how much weight does it add? Doesn't seem an option when configuring or to be readily available info from Kubota...?

bbxlr8

Equipment
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
DELIVERY DAY!! Thanks again for all the info :cool:
- L2501 as TLB on R14s - also got the LP Grapple.

Spent the afternoon familiarizing myself with all of the controls and attachments. Went for a long slow ride on all my trails to test drive. It felt a bit big at first as I should expect being used to my little old Ford 1210 16hp with 60" mmm, but I became right at home after the first hour. All of the main tractor controls are exactly the same operation & position EXCEPT for the hand throttle is opposite high/low (ugh - that will take a while to break muscle memory). I preread the manuals online, but will definitely be referring back frequently, plus leaning on the collective great experienced group here :)

One key takeaway is that I really need to keep that swing of the bucket and BH in mind & focus w /tight quarters for sure. The loader was intuitive but definitely will need some practice & time on the BH as I was pretty awkward and slow to get it doing what I wanted. Going to test the grapple tomorrow...

You folks may appreciate this: I took a bunch of pics at delivery and was joking with the delivery driver about getting on w/waxing it as it was super clean and shiny. After he left and as I was warming it up (it was a very cold day here in mid-eastern PA - frost last night and prob again tonight!) I decided that was actually not a bad plan to give it an initial coat all over as it will never look this pristine again.

Here it is all clean & shiny:
Kubota 1.jpg

And - after my trail ride having dipped the BH frame into the dirt on departure angle testing 4WD low & dif. lock...
Kubota 2.jpg

AND then I did a "test dig" around a large old stump/mound and broke the v. paint seal on both buckets before dinner (no pics...) ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

forky

Equipment
L2501 HST 4X4 8N
Feb 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Looks good and brand new for sure! What was your total price for the set-up you have? I'm sure you will enjoy your new machine.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Congratulations! It is definitely nice and shiny. Mine is not that clean any more.