L2501 chain recommendation

Whitemike

Mar 24, 2022
Idaho
I need to get some chains for my L2501 for plowing snow. Is it possible to get away with only chaining the front or do I need to chain all 4? Front only would be nice because wow are the expensive but all 4 is doable. Also was told a rumor from another L2501 owner that he “heard” that spacers needed to be added to the rear wheels in order to be able to chain them, any truth to this?
Any recommendations for chains and links to wear I can purchase them? The tires on my tractor are;
Front - 27x8.50-15 NHS 8 ply
Rear - R14T 15-19.5NHS (380/70D19.5) 6 ply

I live in Idaho so long snowy winters. Already had 4+ feet and while the tractor does great I’m finding that when I bury my plow in the snow it is the blade that ends up steering the tractor. Also not sure if they do any smaller design tweaks that vary with model years but I bought mine brand new in spring of 2022
Thanks

Mountainhill

Equipment
l2501 (l3800 2013/22), Box Blade, post hole digger, Leon's rear blade
Apr 3, 2017
Nova Scotia, Canada
Wheel spacers needed, Kubota sells a 1” spacer, however having had those R-14’s on my new l2501, I had planned to get 2”” spacers, fortunately, now have R-1’s.
I’ve only chained the rear tires on my L3800 and it preformed well for seven years.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Mike,

several thoughts on chaining both ends - in 4wd, there needs to be a "bit" of slip somewhere - or the gears will take all the abuse. Most chain the rears only - some HAVE chained the front only.

If you are going to be on that much snow/ice - I would consider chaining all 4 - and add a hellva lot of ballast on the rear or front depending on where your blade it located.

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
If you have time and a mig welder, I collect truckers' chains that have fallen off and, on the highway, or from garage sales, ect. and have made 100lb chains for my 2WD full size BH and for my L47. I use them only a couple times a year, so this works for me, if you're going to use them full time spend the money.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I have the OEM spacers on the rear.

I have front chains and rear chains. The rear chains are massive compared to the front. My neighbor only uses front chains, so I started with them. They are also a lot cheaper. That worked ok, but not as well as having rear chains, too. So, I added rears.

However, on the rear, you have the option of locking the rear if needed. You don't have that option for the front. The rear chains are also way more substantional than the front which means more traction. I have ladder chains on the front and rear and my rears are probably in the neighborhood of 4 times as large diameter. Yep, that much larger.

I suggest doing the rears first mainly due to the size of chain and extra weight on the rear. Well, my rears are loaded, and my fronts aren't. I notice the front chains slip more than the rear always.

Whitemike

Mar 24, 2022
Idaho
How exactly do the spacers get installed? Are they bolted onto the rear axle between the wheel and axel?
And how much are they?

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
How exactly do the spacers get installed? Are they bolted onto the rear axle between the wheel and axel?
And how much are they?
Installed on the hubs and have bolts to attach the wheels. There are some youtube videos that show the process. They are about $200 or so.

Reactions: 1 user

Whitemike

Mar 24, 2022
Idaho
Called them yesterday and the guy I spoke to asked if the spacers were installed when my tractor was delivered from kubota to their dealership because they usually install them before the wheels get put on and the tractor goes to the customer but it doesn’t look like they did unless I’m missing something (see picture). I’m not having slipping issues while plowing per say, but when I bury the blade in the snow then the plow is basically steering my tractor, I turn my front wheels but tractor doesn’t turn it goes where the plow blade wants it to. I have a 6’ land pride plow on the front of the tractor. I’m m wondering if chaining only the front will be ok. The guy I spoke to at the dealership recommended not chaining all 4 tires and only chaining the rear but due to my specific issue I’m thinking of only chaining the front
61D5DF51-85D4-4B0A-816D-6C3562931C65.jpeg

trueg50

Equipment
B2601
Jul 1, 2020
Vermont
In your pitcture the spacer would have been between the orange tire rim and the grey plate, i don't see anything for a spacer there.

Usually folks just do the rears, I'd start there and see if it meets your needs. When plowing my fronts tend to pop into the air so they wouldn't help much. The other thing is that your front wheels are far more likely to slip into ditches, leaving only your rears to use to extract yourself with.

Spacers will help your stability as well so they can help in multiple ways.

Sadly I'm typing from my phone, but if you look at my post history, I've posted a number of pictures of my 2" spacer install on my B2601. The install was quite east. I picked the spacers I did because all you have to do is pop off the rear wheel (like taking off a car tire) and then the spacer bolts on to the existing studs. Then the tire gets bolted onto the studs on the spacers. AKdad (I think that's his username) on YouTube has a video on the spacer type install I did.

Whitemike

Mar 24, 2022
Idaho
In your pitcture the spacer would have been between the orange tire rim and the grey plate, i don't see anything for a spacer there.

Usually folks just do the rears, I'd start there and see if it meets your needs. When plowing my fronts tend to pop into the air so they wouldn't help much. The other thing is that your front wheels are far more likely to slip into ditches, leaving only your rears to use to extract yourself with.

Spacers will help your stability as well so they can help in multiple ways.

Sadly I'm typing from my phone, but if you look at my post history, I've posted a number of pictures of my 2" spacer install on my B2601. The install was quite east. I picked the spacers I did because all you have to do is pop off the rear wheel (like taking off a car tire) and then the spacer bolts on to the existing studs. Then the tire gets bolted onto the studs on the spacers. AKdad (I think that's his username) on YouTube has a video on the spacer type install I did.
Excellent. Are they the oem 2” spacers? Do you have ballast in the rears?

trueg50

Equipment
B2601
Jul 1, 2020
Vermont
Excellent. Are they the oem 2” spacers? Do you have ballast in the rears?
I can't remember if they were bora or brotech but it's in my prior posts. The tires are rimguard filled so they were a little tricky to work with but I had some tricks mentioned (again in other posts).

Reactions: 1 user