L245DT Will Not Start With Push Button

matt204

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Oct 28, 2015
Winnipeg MB
Hello Everyone

I recently got a 81 L245DT and it will not start with the push button on the dash, does nothing when I have the key on and push the button but if I put a screw driver across the starter terminals and jump it that way it starts no problem. I was thinking the switch itself is bad or possibly the clutch safety switch. Any ideas? Where is the clutch safety switch located? Thank You :)

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Also, check all your wiring from the starter to the switch and back to the starter, (checking all the wiring would not be a bad idea either). Also, make sure the fusible link which should be near the starter is good, I would do this before I replaced the switch or push button.

Good luck.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I know this sounds off the wall, but I don't think the L245 came with a push button to start.

There should be a start switch, black with a "I" in the center to help you to rotate the dial. If you rotate that switch counter-clockwise you can heat up the glow plugs, then turn clockwise to the start position to activate the starter.

If, in fact, this red push button switch is for activating the starter maybe the original switch has to be in a particular position to get current to flow.

Every "old" tractor I had with a Red button was for the horn!!

matt204

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Oct 28, 2015
Winnipeg MB
Maybe someone changed it because the tractor has one push button to heat the glow plugs and another push button to start. I'm assuming the switch may have gone bad and it was replaced with two push buttons. But it used to work good a few months ago when my grand father last used it. So I will check it over and go from there. Thanks for all the help!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
On my l1501, it's on the side of the tranny just in front of the brake :)