L245DT seal orientation?

cyborgben

Equipment
l245dt
Apr 21, 2020
west central pa
Hello, my l245dt lost bearings on the bevel gear shaft and I have run into a problem on reassembly. My tractor has 2 seals, one in the upper housing, then a bushing that fits inside it, then another seal in the lower housing (which I removed along with the clip and bearings below) unfortunately these 2 seals have been replaced by one 2 part seal that is directional (not the same both directions...) part 35226-43490. Problem is, I don't know which way is up? Parts diagram is too fuzzy to tell... any thoughts? Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Try to get to 5 posts and the you are able to post pictures. Then post pictures of the old seals, the new seals and where the seal is going to be installed.

Have you looked at the illustrated parts list at Kubota USA or Messicks? You may call Messicks and ask them , I understand they are pretty good about helping out over the phone

cyborgben

Equipment
l245dt
Apr 21, 2020
west central pa
I have a print out from the dealer and have found pics online but the resolution isn't good enough to tell for sure... probably dealing with 40 year old non digital images...

Grumpy

Equipment
loader,rake,cordwood saw
Dec 17, 2009
North Salem, NH, USA
Hello, my l245dt lost bearings on the bevel gear shaft and I have run into a problem on reassembly. My tractor has 2 seals, one in the upper housing, then a bushing that fits inside it, then another seal in the lower housing (which I removed along with the clip and bearings below) unfortunately these 2 seals have been replaced by one 2 part seal that is directional (not the same both directions...) part 35226-43490. Problem is, I don't know which way is up? Parts diagram is too fuzzy to tell... any thoughts? Thanks so much!
I would like to know what you found out. I lost the bearings on the vertical shaft, 14T straight bevel gear, ( L245DT) and that took out the upper oil seal, thus I don’t know the orientation for the replacement. Kindly let me know what you learned. Thank you very kindly

Spentcase

Equipment
L245DT
Apr 26, 2021
Texas USA
I would like to know what you found out. I lost the bearings on the vertical shaft, 14T straight bevel gear, ( L245DT) and that took out the upper oil seal, thus I don’t know the orientation for the replacement. Kindly let me know what you learned. Thank you very kindly
Where did you find that 14t bevel gear (37720-43820 or h3770-91100) I'll be danged if I'm gonna pay $500 for one!!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Where did you find that 14t bevel gear (37720-43820 or h3770-91100) I'll be danged if I'm gonna pay $500 for one!!
You'll be lucky to be able to find that gear at any price.
And it's even more unlikely you'll be able to find it new from a dealer, most all of those parts are long obsolete.

Spentcase

Equipment
L245DT
Apr 26, 2021
Texas USA
Actually.. I could have had a new one here tomorrow along with the steering knuckle seals (35226-43490 @ $37ea) I ordered Tuesday from my local Landsdown-Moody Kubota dealer in Livingston, Tx. A tad over $500 will get me one. ONE. I found them online in several places as likely "Aftermarket" parts for the same money. My guess is some enterprising machine shop somewhere (In China?) ran a small batch to make them available for a tidy profit. I also found a pair in the UK for 275 pounds and astronomical shipping but probably the best deal. I have one with a pretty gnarly tooth and a chip out of the next on after a bearing failure. It's still more than half it's original height, and might last a bit longer. All the rest are good. For now, I plan on leaving out all of the thin spacers that are used to set the gear engagement between those two bevel gears, thus jamming them as close as they will go. My feeling is that eventually the $14 6206 bearings will fail again with the additional thrust load, but that stuff is all low-speed so it's gonna take a while.. Hopefully I can source a used one by then.. If the gear fails and takes the other one with it, I'll leave them out and put it on the auction block as a 2WD ;-)

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Actually.. I could have had a new one here tomorrow along with the steering knuckle seals (35226-43490 @ $37ea) I ordered Tuesday from my local Landsdown-Moody Kubota dealer in Livingston, Tx. A tad over $500 will get me one. ONE. I found them online in several places as likely "Aftermarket" parts for the same money. My guess is some enterprising machine shop somewhere (In China?) ran a small batch to make them available for a tidy profit. I also found a pair in the UK for 275 pounds and astronomical shipping but probably the best deal. I have one with a pretty gnarly tooth and a chip out of the next on after a bearing failure. It's still more than half it's original height, and might last a bit longer. All the rest are good. For now, I plan on leaving out all of the thin spacers that are used to set the gear engagement between those two bevel gears, thus jamming them as close as they will go. My feeling is that eventually the $14 6206 bearings will fail again with the additional thrust load, but that stuff is all low-speed so it's gonna take a while.. Hopefully I can source a used one by then.. If the gear fails and takes the other one with it, I'll leave them out and put it on the auction block as a 2WD ;-)
I have the gears you need. Send me a PM if you still need them

Last edited: