L245DT 3pt won't lift

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Ok, I am trying to take apart the cylinder and piston. I removed the cylinder head cover, but I can't get the piston out. Is there a trick to that?
No trick at all, remove the top cover and push the piston out from the back.

JRaf

Equipment
L245DT
Oct 15, 2019
Los Olivos CA
I think if you lift the 3pt arms the cylinder will pop out. Don't think you'll have access to the "back" unless you took off the cover.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I think if you lift the 3pt arms the cylinder will pop out. Don't think you'll have access to the "back" unless you took off the cover.
Lowering the arms is what pushes the piston forward and with the arms fully down, the piston does not protrude from the housing. The three-point cover has to be removed to access the rear of the piston to remove it
Sometimes you can lift the arms partway, push the piston in and quickly lower the arms. If you are lucky, you can get the top of the piston to protrude from the housing. If it does, you can grip it with slip joint pliers and withdraw it. This does not work very often, but you only need it to work once.

Reactions: 1 user

abeconnally

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Sep 26, 2020
Texas
I finally took it to the shop and they changed all my piston orings and seals and a couple of other small things. Flushed the lines, made sure everything was back together correctly, and it worked.

So, got the tractor home, and the 3 point was working right away. But after about an hour, it started acting up. It will raise, but it is very jerky and slow. It won't lift much weight. It is slow to respond.

When the tractor cools down, it seems to work good again, when warmed up, slow and barely lifts, sometimes it doesn't lift at all.

Today, I worked with it some, and I noticed, if I put the tractor in neutral and let it idle a bit, the lift will raise, though it's slow and jerky.

Is this my hydraulic pump going out? I am thinking that when that oil is cold, it's thicker, and maybe when it warms up, it's getting by some pump seals or something.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I finally took it to the shop and they changed all my piston orings and seals and a couple of other small things. Flushed the lines, made sure everything was back together correctly, and it worked.

So, got the tractor home, and the 3 point was working right away. But after about an hour, it started acting up. It will raise, but it is very jerky and slow. It won't lift much weight. It is slow to respond.

When the tractor cools down, it seems to work good again, when warmed up, slow and barely lifts, sometimes it doesn't lift at all.

Today, I worked with it some, and I noticed, if I put the tractor in neutral and let it idle a bit, the lift will raise, though it's slow and jerky.

Is this my hydraulic pump going out? I am thinking that when that oil is cold, it's thicker, and maybe when it warms up, it's getting by some pump seals or something.
Look for the simple things first.

Air being sucked into the hydraulic will send this air into the hydraulic system resulting in erratic performance.

You need to carefully examine everything on the suction side of the pump. Rubber hoses, O rings metal tubes...... air will leak in while the oil will not leak out the same place so don't just look for signs of fluid leakage.

I have marked up the parts illustration showing usual leakage places. Use genuine Kublota parts as these are inexpensive.

forum L245 suction side.jpg

Dave

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

abeconnally

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Sep 26, 2020
Texas
Look for the simple things first.

Air being sucked into the hydraulic will send this air into the hydraulic system resulting in erratic performance.

You need to carefully examine everything on the suction side of the pump. Rubber hoses, O rings metal tubes...... air will leak in while the oil will not leak out the same place so don't just look for signs of fluid leakage.

Dave
You know, now that you mention it, I was noticing a noise coming from the pump that sounded kinda like air. Almost like the sound of air escaping from a tire or something. There are 2 orings and a rubber hose on that suction side. Time to check those and tighten the clamps and see.

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
You know, now that you mention it, I was noticing a noise coming from the pump that sounded kinda like air. Almost like the sound of air escaping from a tire or something. There are 2 orings and a robber hose on that suction side. Time to check those and tighten the clamps and see.

Look closely, there are 3 O rings.

Dave

abeconnally

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Sep 26, 2020
Texas
I stand corrected

Sorry for the misinformation. Waiting for my new glasses to arrive :)

Dave
No problem at all, thank you very much for the help and guidance! I really appreciate it.

I got the orings and rubber hose ordered, will try and change those first and see how it goes.