L245 part left side of the diff lock?

L245dtRCA

Equipment
L245dt, box scraper, 6 way blade, FEL, 4'Howse rotary mower
Jul 18, 2018
Molalla, Oregon
I was inspecting the L245 recently and noticed a shaft on the right side under the seat. Shiny metal, no coating or paint...and an exposed bushing on the housing...looks like something important fell off. I think it is a bearing...when I push down on the differential lock pedal, the exposed shaft rotates a bit and pulls into the housing. I don't have a picture to post, but its clear something is missing

I have attached a screen shot of what i think it is from the illustrated parts list, but i'm really not sure. I hardly ever use the diff lock, but I suppose the bearing and maybe the gear fell off somewhere out in the brush.

OK, on further inspection of the parts list, i think it is an oil seal

018 09500-16287 SEAL,OIL 2 0.022

guess I need one of those! Will see if Messicks or someone has it

OK: https://www.messicks.com/part/09500-16287/seal-oil

but what keeps it on? can this be right?

thanks for your heeeeelp!

Attachments

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The oil seal probably failed because something else failed, and that is probably a bearing. If the bearing failed and was not addressed, it may have wallered out the housing. If that's the case you have much more then an oil seal to replace.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The WSM shows it to be a bearing. See #15 on attached page from WSM.

Likely a sealed bearing as there is no oil seal shown.

No indication of how bearing is held in.

If no other option, I would resort to Loctite Stud and Bearing mount.
https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-555338-Temperature-Bearing-36-milliliter/dp/B00070LQWE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmmB7DDTPuA

This is a low stress application as the shaft only rotates part of one revolution. There is a pedal support holding the outer end of the linkage

Dave

Attachments

Last edited:

L245dtRCA

Equipment
L245dt, box scraper, 6 way blade, FEL, 4'Howse rotary mower
Jul 18, 2018
Molalla, Oregon
Posted a couple pictures

Thanks for your replies...it looks like the shaft has a groove in it for a circle clip, but it felt smooth to the touch

I guess the sealed bearing would just support and secure the exposed end of this shaft?

on inspection of Dave_eng's posted picture it looks like i might be missing part 20...a "shift fork"

thanks for the suggestions...I have the WSM but after staring at it for half an hour this morning...I still couldn't interpret it properly

Attachments

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Posted a couple pictures

Thanks for your replies...it looks like the shaft has a groove in it for a circle clip, but it felt smooth to the touch

I guess the sealed bearing would just support and secure the exposed end of this shaft?

on inspection of Dave_eng's posted picture it looks like i might be missing part 20...a "shift fork"

thanks for the suggestions...I have the WSM but after staring at it for half an hour this morning...I still couldn't interpret it properly
Certainly not the shift fork which would be completely inside the deepest parts of the rear axle.

Post photos of the pedal and linkage you do have.

Dave