L245, no reverse, 1st, or 2nd gear

mudjunkie

Equipment
L245
Mar 5, 2024
Oregon
Looking at potentially buying a used L245, seller says it lost reverse, 1st and 2nd gear, no funny noises, shifts into the appropriate spots, just nothing happens when you let the clutch out... anyone else experienced this??

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There is quite a few things that could cause it to be doing that.
Most likely would be shift fork or gear damage.

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
As Wolfman said shift fork. Reverse gear has its own shift fork. First and second gear would be a separate shift fork. It would be odd that both of them are broke. My guess is something in the actual shift cover causing the problem. This is a 45 year old tractor and can have a lot of wear and things. Relatively easy tractor to work on. I would remove the cover with the shift levers in it and inspect it. You should be able to see your problem then.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
, hoping it's the shift forks, 🙏 it's reasonably cheap, and in 9/10 condition cosmetically!
It’s funny how we will diminish risks… based upon perceived desirability.

(I should have remembered that when I thought I wanted to marry that previous wife.)

Suggest to the seller that you’ll buy it at the agreed price…..And You’ll pay the cost of repair…. if HE will have it fixed before the sale.

(In such a case if it turns out the repair is wildly expensive ….it won’ t be your problem.)

Be prepared for that offer to be refused …. He may know more than he’s letting-on.

Reactions: 1 user

mudjunkie

Equipment
L245
Mar 5, 2024
Oregon

(I should have remembered that when I thought I wanted to marry that previous wife.)

Suggest to the seller that you’ll buy it at the agreed price…..And You’ll pay the cost of repair…. if HE will have it fixed before the sale.

(In such a case if it turns out the repair is wildly expensive ….it won’ t be your problem.)

Be prepared for that offer to be refused …. He may know more than he’s letting-on.

I'm a diesel mechanic among other things, I'd rather handle the repair myself, from what I can tell it shouldn't be too much money for parts since the whole trans isn't shot... still hoping it's just shift forks...lol

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm a diesel mechanic among other things, I'd rather handle the repair myself, from what I can tell it shouldn't be too much money for parts since the whole trans isn't shot... still hoping it's just shift forks...lol
I get basket case tractors all the time, I've yet to get one running properly.