L245 Injector Problems

calheader

Equipment
L245DT
May 5, 2015
Boulevard, CA
Hoping I can get some expert help. A few months ago I had to do a partial tear down of the motor because it hadn’t been able to start for several months, probably 6 or so. Do the tear down and find several expansion plugs had popped out. Then find that fuel rack was stuck shut and that was the cause of the hole no start. Before that I had taken all the injectors in to be tested because I thought that might be an issue, had all three rebuilt as two had failed.

A few months ago I put everything back together, got it running. Starts up right away and runs well but doesn’t quite seem to have the same power as it did before. I assumed it was because I had to pull the fuel pump to check plungers and make sure the issue wasn’t there. It was stuck real well.

Today I’m out clearing brush and dragging the ground trying to get up all the crap and ran it out of fuel. Fill it back up and bleed the fuel to the injectors. As I start the tractor and get it running I go back around to crack open the fuel lines to get all the air out as there is always bubbles. I crack the first one and the engine slows. Tighten and the engine runs back up the rpms. Crack number two and no change in engine rpms. Fuel spray all over but the engine rpms didn’t go down and then back up when I tightened it.

Whats going on? Bad injector again?

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
I think it's more likely that some trash got into it. Hopefully some of the gurus will chime in soon because the only thing I would know to do is pull the #2 injector.

BTW, I'm confused by your comment about always having bubbles -- did you leave #1 line open until no bubbles, or doesn't it clear up?

calheader

Equipment
L245DT
May 5, 2015
Boulevard, CA
Swap over the injectors and see what happens
This is a good idea. I'll give that a shot tonight after work and post results.

What I meant by bubbles is that even though you bled to the top, engine starts, there are a few bubbles trapped that still need to be bled off so the engine doesn't air bound. It normally clears it self out, but why not just crack them after the engine is running to speed it up.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Why not just take that #2 injector back to the rebuild shop and let them know of it not fueling. They may very will give it a quick once over and hand it back to you.

No need to switch injectors, you already know which one is not working.

Get a new seal, install, and have all the power you expected!!

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Hello
A vary common problem is the delivery valve nut on top of the injection pump. If you are having problems with #2 you will need to remove the 3 lines from the top of the injection pump. Check the nuts were the lines attach to the pump. They are 19mm . Be sure they are tight. Even if it just a little lose is will cause that cilinder to not fire . Reinstall lines and bleed the lines at the injectors.
Good Luck Lance

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
Hello
A vary common problem is the delivery valve nut on top of the injection pump. If you are having problems with #2 you will need to remove the 3 lines from the top of the injection pump. Check the nuts were the lines attach to the pump. They are 19mm . Be sure they are tight. Even if it just a little lose is will cause that cilinder to not fire . Reinstall lines and bleed the lines at the injectors.
Good Luck Lance
Lance, wouldn't that cause the injector to pump bubbles when you cracked it? calheader said it squirted fuel all over, but the engine didn't missfire. My expectation is that if the fuel line is loose, it would pump bubbles when cracking the injector. :confused:

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Shaun
If the line was lose it would leak fuel. What I am talking about is the nut that holds the delivery vavle on top of the injection pump. If the nut is lose that cilinder will not fire.
Good Luck Lance

calheader

Equipment
L245DT
May 5, 2015
Boulevard, CA
Pulled the #2 injector and replaced with the #1 same problem. Not even sure how that's possible. But the injector must be good as the same problems repeated themselves. I'll check the fuel lines again from the top of the injection pump tomorrow but I don't think that's it. Otherwise there would be fuel on the pump and not much pressure to the top of the injector.

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Hello
I am not talking about a lose line. If you go to the top of the injection pumpwere the lines attach there is a fitting the takes 19 MM wrench. Check the center one to be sure it tight. Also have you checked the valve adjustment.
Good Luck Lance

calheader

Equipment
L245DT
May 5, 2015
Boulevard, CA
Thanks for all the replies. I checked all the lines, nice and tight. Swapped out the injector, same problem. So I would assume there's a problem elsewhere.

I haven't checked the clearance either. I'm not even sure if I know how to do that or can do that. I'm fairly mechanically inclined and willing to give it a shot.

If anyone has some good steps for this tractor I would appreciate it. Pictures would be even better. Thanks again everyone.