L2250DT Problem with dual clutch

Dwarner

Equipment
B7610 HST, Woods 6500
Aug 3, 2012
Enfield, CT
Recently pick-up a well used L2250DT It had a major oil leak from the transmission and rear main seal on the engine into the clutch housing which was almost full of oil. My question is the PTO clutch would not completely release. Today I readjusted the clearance on the dual clutch bolts and the clutch will only partially release. If I change the bolt adjustment from 3/4 turn to 1/2 turn will that allow the clutch to release sooner? The travel clutch works fine and over adjusting it did not help the PTO clutch release problem.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Was the flywheel refaced?

Did you replace just the disks or a complete clutch assembly?

Did you do the clutch plate measurements and setup before you assembled it?

Dwarner

Equipment
B7610 HST, Woods 6500
Aug 3, 2012
Enfield, CT
I was told the clutch was replace about 5 years ago. The travel clutch disc, pressure plate assembly, release bearing and pilot bearing looked in new condition. I did not disassemble the pressure plate assembly to inspect the PTO clutch disc. The flywheel did not look like it was resurfaced but was perfectly smooth.
As I understand the dual clutch system the PTO clutch is assembled between the clutch cover and pressure plate.
I'm not sure what you mean by the clutch plate measurement but I will look again at the manual.
The only service I did on the clutch was remove the entire pressure plate with PTO clutch as an assembly. Then remove the flywheel to replace the rear main seal on the crankshaft.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I was told the clutch was replace about 5 years ago. The travel clutch disc, pressure plate assembly, release bearing and pilot bearing looked in new condition. I did not disassemble the pressure plate assembly to inspect the PTO clutch disc. The flywheel did not look like it was resurfaced but was perfectly smooth.
As I understand the dual clutch system the PTO clutch is assembled between the clutch cover and pressure plate.
I'm not sure what you mean by the clutch plate measurement but I will look again at the manual.
The only service I did on the clutch was remove the entire pressure plate with PTO clutch as an assembly. Then remove the flywheel to replace the rear main seal on the crankshaft.
If the clutch disks were soaked in oil for any length of time, they very well might be blown, and that changes the entire setup.

You might not be able to bring it within specs because the disk will be too thick.

From what your saying about it swimming in oil, both hydraulic and motor oil, I would be replacing the entire clutch pack with a known good pack.

Dwarner

Equipment
B7610 HST, Woods 6500
Aug 3, 2012
Enfield, CT
Thank you for your input. Very easy tractor to split which will be the only way to check the PTO clutch.