L2250 Start and run issue

BED

Equipment
92 L2250
Jul 22, 2022
Vermont
Hi all, I have owned a 1992 L2250 for a few years now. I have had starting issues with it ever since I got it. initially, the only way to start the thing was to use jumper cables. Last fall i was doing some work with it and it started to run real rough. I finished my job with it and then parked it for the winter. I went to start it a few months later in the dead of winter and could not get it going. I let it sit for a few more months until the weather was good enough for me not to freeze my butt off. the first thing I checked was the fuel filter. It was frozen solid. so I replaced it, drained all the fuel and water out of the tank and lines. put new in and tried to start. Nothing. So I went to work searching the internet to find what the problem could be decided it was not getting fuel by loosening the fuel lines at the injectors. the internet was pointing to a faulty fuel injection pump unit. So as mechanically inclined as I thought, I decided I would take it apart and clean it up to make sure all parts were moving properly. I thought I did a great job by taking my time and meticulously polish every part. I took hours. I ensured I put it all back together exactly as it came apart. then reinstalled it. I turned it over just like you tube showed and got now fuel. So next was to replace the fuel pump. I got a new one off amazon and decided to take the old one apart before I put the new in. As I suspected the baffle was torn and fuel was not being pushed through like normal. I installed the new and then cranked the engine to see if the pump was now doing what it was supposed to do. I put everything back together and cranked the heck out of it. My frustration was at no ends by this time. So I thought the issue was like most diesels, a priming issue. So out came the starting fluid. I took the air filter canister off the machine and just kept putting the either to it. Finally after three cans it started and stayed running as long as I was giving it a shot of either every second or so. then finally after a few minutes it started getting fuel and stayed running on its own. Black smoke poured from the stack, and fire even came out at times. Sparks like fireworks followed so I decided to adjust the throttle it see if it helped. Just created another issue. I was able to find a sweet spot where the smoke and sparks went away but if I increased or decreased the throttle the smoke would come back and sparks would prevail. I decided I would shut the machine off. NO GO. The machine would not shut down no matter what I did. key, stop lever, nothing so I turned the fuel petcock to off and waited for it to run out of fuel. THE STORY does not end there. I decided it had to be the fuel cut off solenoid causing the issue. It would not operate as you tube pointed out in a video. so I order that and while I was at it I ordered a new starter, alternator, ignition switch, voltage regulator, and starter/timer switch. When they came I was so happy because I thought I was being the best back yard mechanic that I could be. I should have got some crome paint for the motor the way I was gloating. So all the parts went on smoothly. At this point I said to myself why not go all out and get a new battery. So I went to Advanced and got a Diehard (old school I know). I got everything together, installed the battery with new cables and ground wire. I was so proud of myself. I said this thing has to start now. There should be nothing stopping it. So I tested it. Didn't turn it over, just turned the key on. everything let up and I was standing outside to watch that the fuel cut off solenoid was operating as it should. I cycled the key a few times to make sure I was not seeing things and then turned the thing over. NOTHING. By this time a normal guy would say the hell with it and send it off to the junk yard. So there it sits. an orange yard ornament that sadly cannot be used to take care of my dying small orchard. One thing I did notice was the fuel cut off solenoid did not work again after I heard a pop a couple seconds after turning the key to the off position. I tested the solenoid with a hot wire directly attached to the battery to see if it worked. It did. I am still glutting for punishment so please have at my epic novel here and lets see if we can get this thing going. Please with maple syrup from Vermont on top.
BED,,,,just happens to be my initials....I live with it!!!

Last edited:

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
First, swear off the ether. You or the previous owner may well have caused serious internal damage to the engine. Your previous symptoms indicated a fuel problem, which may now have been worsened.

The current status of your engine is not clear. Will it crank (turn over, spin)? Does it crank but not start?

Before you try to start it again, fix the fuel shutoff. Your tractor energizes the stop solenoid to stop the engine. There is a manual knob on the dash to use in case of electrical malfunction. The fact that neither killed the engine indicates that the linkage there isn't working right.

Now, make sure the engine cranks at adequate speed. It must spin at a certain minimum speed in order to start. I'm not going to address a no-crank condition here

Remove the fuel line at the injector pump and catch the fuel while cranking the engine. There should be a good stream of fuel. Check that the fuel in the catch can has no water or solid specks. Check the fuel filter for water and that the gasket is in place.

Reconnect the fuel line. Open the bleed valve (small knob) on the injector pump. Set the throttle at half or more. Crank for no more than 10 seconds at a time, letting the starter cool off in between.

If the engine doesn't start, what does it do?

#40Fan

Jul 21, 2022
USA
Black smoke poured from the stack, and fire even came out at times. Sparks like fireworks followed so I decided to adjust the throttle it see if it helped.
Can we start a poll? Piston or Glow Plug is the cause of the sparks?

3 cans of ether is A LOT. I really hope it isn't dead.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Just a suggestion on presentation, but it would be easier reading if you divided your post into paragraphs...

Hope the starting fluid did not cause engine damage. Many reports here stating how using starting fluid in a Kubota diesel can result in engine damage, mainly bent connecting rods I think.

Reactions: 1 user

BED

Equipment
92 L2250
Jul 22, 2022
Vermont
The engine just cranks. Fuel is coming out of the lines when loosened an new battery cranks pretty quick like a car should.

L2250DT

Equipment
l2250dt
Jan 9, 2023
Hernando, Florida
Hi all, I have owned a 1992 L2250 for a few years now. I have had starting issues with it ever since I got it. initially, the only way to start the thing was to use jumper cables. Last fall i was doing some work with it and it started to run real rough. I finished my job with it and then parked it for the winter. I went to start it a few months later in the dead of winter and could not get it going. I let it sit for a few more months until the weather was good enough for me not to freeze my butt off. the first thing I checked was the fuel filter. It was frozen solid. so I replaced it, drained all the fuel and water out of the tank and lines. put new in and tried to start. Nothing. So I went to work searching the internet to find what the problem could be decided it was not getting fuel by loosening the fuel lines at the injectors. the internet was pointing to a faulty fuel injection pump unit. So as mechanically inclined as I thought, I decided I would take it apart and clean it up to make sure all parts were moving properly. I thought I did a great job by taking my time and meticulously polish every part. I took hours. I ensured I put it all back together exactly as it came apart. then reinstalled it. I turned it over just like you tube showed and got now fuel. So next was to replace the fuel pump. I got a new one off amazon and decided to take the old one apart before I put the new in. As I suspected the baffle was torn and fuel was not being pushed through like normal. I installed the new and then cranked the engine to see if the pump was now doing what it was supposed to do. I put everything back together and cranked the heck out of it. My frustration was at no ends by this time. So I thought the issue was like most diesels, a priming issue. So out came the starting fluid. I took the air filter canister off the machine and just kept putting the either to it. Finally after three cans it started and stayed running as long as I was giving it a shot of either every second or so. then finally after a few minutes it started getting fuel and stayed running on its own. Black smoke poured from the stack, and fire even came out at times. Sparks like fireworks followed so I decided to adjust the throttle it see if it helped. Just created another issue. I was able to find a sweet spot where the smoke and sparks went away but if I increased or decreased the throttle the smoke would come back and sparks would prevail. I decided I would shut the machine off. NO GO. The machine would not shut down no matter what I did. key, stop lever, nothing so I turned the fuel petcock to off and waited for it to run out of fuel. THE STORY does not end there. I decided it had to be the fuel cut off solenoid causing the issue. It would not operate as you tube pointed out in a video. so I order that and while I was at it I ordered a new starter, alternator, ignition switch, voltage regulator, and starter/timer switch. When they came I was so happy because I thought I was being the best back yard mechanic that I could be. I should have got some crome paint for the motor the way I was gloating. So all the parts went on smoothly. At this point I said to myself why not go all out and get a new battery. So I went to Advanced and got a Diehard (old school I know). I got everything together, installed the battery with new cables and ground wire. I was so proud of myself. I said this thing has to start now. There should be nothing stopping it. So I tested it. Didn't turn it over, just turned the key on. everything let up and I was standing outside to watch that the fuel cut off solenoid was operating as it should. I cycled the key a few times to make sure I was not seeing things and then turned the thing over. NOTHING. By this time a normal guy would say the hell with it and send it off to the junk yard. So there it sits. an orange yard ornament that sadly cannot be used to take care of my dying small orchard. One thing I did notice was the fuel cut off solenoid did not work again after I heard a pop a couple seconds after turning the key to the off position. I tested the solenoid with a hot wire directly attached to the battery to see if it worked. It did. I am still glutting for punishment so please have at my epic novel here and lets see if we can get this thing going. Please with maple syrup from Vermont on top.
BED,,,,just happens to be my initials....I live with it!!!
Hello, Did you ever get it running? My 85 2250 sounds like yours. It was running then did not run. I too have had my injection pump out and serviced it. With stop plate removed if I hold linkage forward it will run but if take my finger off it pushes back and shuts down. It has been suggested that the pump is off by a tooth. That will be my nextstep, but was wondering about yours.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hello, Did you ever get it running? My 85 2250 sounds like yours. It was running then did not run. I too have had my injection pump out and serviced it. With stop plate removed if I hold linkage forward it will run but if take my finger off it pushes back and shuts down. It has been suggested that the pump is off by a tooth. That will be my nextstep, but was wondering about yours.
Did you align the marks on the barrels and the rack?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have memory loss, but I believe so. I will recheck. I was hoping to hear if "BED" got his running and what the solution was.
Reading "BED's Posts several things could be going on!
He started off with a tractor that wouldn't start either due to; low compression, fuel delivery, or lack of glow plugs, and snowballed into a real mess.
#1 Water in the fuel that froze could do a lot of damage to a lot of components!
#2 "rebuilding and polishing" the injection pump could very well have added to the issues.
#3 The no speed adjustment and non stopping ability was from a failed injection pump rebuild.
#4 Using ether on these engines is the KISS of DEATH, Ether does a lot of damage instantly.
#5 Sparks and heavy smoke is from parts failing.
#6 The fuel stop solenoid has Zero to do with it running or stopping.

L2250DT

Equipment
l2250dt
Jan 9, 2023
Hernando, Florida
Reading "BED's Posts several things could be going on!
He started off with a tractor that wouldn't start either due to; low compression, fuel delivery, or lack of glow plugs, and snowballed into a real mess.
#1 Water in the fuel that froze could do a lot of damage to a lot of components!
#2 "rebuilding and polishing" the injection pump could very well have added to the issues.
#3 The no speed adjustment and non stopping ability was from a failed injection pump rebuild.
#4 Using ether on these engines is the KISS of DEATH, Ether does a lot of damage instantly.
#5 Sparks and heavy smoke is from parts failing.
#6 The fuel stop solenoid has Zero to do with it running or stopping.
OK THX, Threw my back out moving something I should not have....I will be down for a week.