L2201DT Hydraulic issues

Ritzieann

Equipment
L2201DT
Mar 10, 2021
Washington state
Hello everybody. I've just joined the forum, and I've got plenty of questions about our tractor we purchased. Lets start with the hydraulics.

We just changed out the fluid. We had hoped it would help with the lift issues. The bucket was/is so slow. Slow enough that while scooping up wood chips, I decided it was faster to just pitchfork them in. We drained the fluid from the drain plug essentially directly under the entry hole. It's not any faster. I've heard that there's a strainer somewhere, but since i'm new to at home tractor maintenance, I just don't know what I'm looking for. Does anyone have photos or video they'd be willing to walk me through with?

After the fluid change, I did notice that one of the levers actually works now! That's exciting. I"m not sure what it's for though. I think it's the high/low for the 4x4. If i'm in the tractor, its on the left side, under the seat. it's short and has an orange handle. Under it, theres a (backwards) L shaped lever. That one still doesn't move.

The rear lift works just fine, as does the crank that controls it. The speed controls it, and it does lock.

Thanks in advance.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Your problem might be the three point control. If you have it all the way in the up position it can slow loader operation. Try putting it in the down position and see if that helps.

Tractor Doctor

Equipment
Agriculture equipment
Apr 4, 2021
Maine
Hello everybody. I've just joined the forum, and I've got plenty of questions about our tractor we purchased. Lets start with the hydraulics.

We just changed out the fluid. We had hoped it would help with the lift issues. The bucket was/is so slow. Slow enough that while scooping up wood chips, I decided it was faster to just pitchfork them in. We drained the fluid from the drain plug essentially directly under the entry hole. It's not any faster. I've heard that there's a strainer somewhere, but since i'm new to at home tractor maintenance, I just don't know what I'm looking for. Does anyone have photos or video they'd be willing to walk me through with?

After the fluid change, I did notice that one of the levers actually works now! That's exciting. I"m not sure what it's for though. I think it's the high/low for the 4x4. If i'm in the tractor, its on the left side, under the seat. it's short and has an orange handle. Under it, theres a (backwards) L shaped lever. That one still doesn't move.

The rear lift works just fine, as does the crank that controls it. The speed controls it, and it does lock.

Thanks in advance.
Start tractor, raise 3 point hitch lever all the way up. Shut tractor off, get off machine and lift 3 point lower arms up.should have 1to2"of freeplay. Meaning manually lift it by hands. Otherwise your hydraulic system is running on the relief valve and stop operating loader controls abit. Adjustment to feed back control rod is needed.

Ritzieann

Equipment
L2201DT
Mar 10, 2021
Washington state
Start tractor, raise 3 point hitch lever all the way up. Shut tractor off, get off machine and lift 3 point lower arms up.should have 1to2"of freeplay. Meaning manually lift it by hands. Otherwise your hydraulic system is running on the relief valve and stop operating loader controls abit. Adjustment to feed back control rod is needed.
I think I understand what you're saying. I'll give it a shot.

The back lifts up and down just fine. It's the bucket that's slow. And the tilt on the bucket is even slower. So slow that it's almost pointless to bother scooping manure or whatever. So I just get it sorta loaded and then fork it in. 🤦‍♀️

Ritzieann

Equipment
L2201DT
Mar 10, 2021
Washington state
I think I understand what you're saying.

The back isn't giving me issues. The bucket rise is slow, and the tilt for scooping is really slow. So slow, that I usually pitchfork it full and don't bother with the tilt

Tractor Doctor

Equipment
Agriculture equipment
Apr 4, 2021
Maine
I think I understand what you're saying. I'll give it a shot.

The back lifts up and down just fine. It's the bucket that's slow. And the tilt on the bucket is even slower. So slow that it's almost pointless to bother scooping manure or whatever. So I just get it sorta loaded and then fork it in. 🤦‍♀️
Does the loader arm raise to full height or go halve way up and stop raising? And same with the bucket.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Please check your machine to determine if your loader valve is connected to a flange type outlet as shown below.

In diagnosing what is wrong we need to start with how is the loader powered by the tractor's hydraulics.

Often, during the replacement of a hose, two hoses get swapped and then nothing works properly.

forum Flanged outlet.jpg

forum L355 flanged outlet parts illustration.jpg

Dave

Attachments

Ritzieann

Equipment
L2201DT
Mar 10, 2021
Washington state
Thank you. I will look at the lines closely this week.

I had the tiller on it and turned our garden, and I brush gigged our half acre pasture the other day. That stuff lifts just fine.

The bucket does go all the way up, and will pivot all the way up and down at any height. It's just very slow, and it won't tilt and lift at the same time.

itfarmer

Equipment
Kubota L2402DT, frail mower, rotary hoe, scraper etc
Jul 13, 2021
Australia
I had the same issue.. it turned out the oil I had in it was to thick.

In my tractor the bucket hydraulics uses the gearbox oil.. when I put gearbox oil in the gearbox the bucket stopped working properly. Removed the oil and put normal engine oil in it and all worked normal again.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user

Thunder Fish

Equipment
ZL2202DT-M
Oct 21, 2017
100 Mile House BC,Canada
itfarmer,very sound advise,the hydraulics,gearbox and rear diff all share the same fluid,there is 4 drain points for this unit (I have one,just did this)
It takes the kubota UTD or equivalent,the filter is up b the pump,spin on