L2201DT hard start

Thanasis

Equipment
Kubota L2201DT
Feb 21, 2021
Greece
Hallo everybody,

my tractor is usually difficult to start, especially if not used for a couple of days. Most of the times I have to repeat the preheating-cranking procedure 3-4 times. The battery is new, glow plugs checked and work fine, new fuel filter and I just had my injectors cleaned and checked. Once it starts the tractor works great. I did notice that in the corner behind the 3rd injector the head gasket looks a little wet but there is no visible leak. I also changed the engine oil and looked fine (no water contamination). Same goes for the coolant. So I am thinking that either I am facing a loss of compression due to a bad but not blown head gasket or a valve timing issue (or both?).

Any suggestions before taking off the cylinder head are much appreciated! Thanks!

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
When you crank the tractor, does the starter turn it over fast or does it appear to be dragging or turning slower after it sits for a few days? After it starts, can you turn it off and then restart with no problem? How many hours are we dealing with?

Thanasis

Equipment
Kubota L2201DT
Feb 21, 2021
Greece
When you crank the tractor, does the starter turn it over fast or does it appear to be dragging or turning slower after it sits for a few days? After it starts, can you turn it off and then restart with no problem? How many hours are we dealing with?
No difference on the starter. It turn it over fast. If I turn it off immidiately after it starts I have to repeat the procedure. If I actualy use the tractor 10-15 minutes and it gets warm, then I can restart it with no issues. About 2650 hours on the tractor.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
A compression test will answer a lot of questions without pulling the head. It's also possible the glow plugs are good but not getting power. They should get ten to eleven volts when power is applied to them.

Last edited:

Thanasis

Equipment
Kubota L2201DT
Feb 21, 2021
Greece
A compression test will answer a lot of questions without pulling the head. It's also possible the glow plugs are good but not getting power. They should get ten to eleven volts when power is applied to them.
I have 10,5volts on the glows plugs. I also have taken them off to check them with 12 volts directly and they work fine. I ‘ll take off the starter to check and rebuild it if necessary. I looked to older posts and from the pictures and part numbers I can tell that my starter is different from what other L2201 and L245 owners have.

Anyway, I hope it’s something simple as that.
Thanks for the replies!