L2201: replacement radiator

MrChuck

Equipment
L2201DT
Nov 25, 2010
Heathcote, VIC, Australia
Hi all,

I've had another issue with my L2201DT, which is that the radiator has developed at least a couple of pinholes and seems to be a bit corroded. I noticed the other day that it had used some water--usually doesn't--and this is why. I think this is well beyond any kind of radiator leak additive, and I don't care for them anyway.

I've been able to pull out the radiator and it's heading off to the local radiator guy to repair and pressure test if possible.

If he pronounces it terminal, where on earth can I get another one to fit? I reckon I will have no odds whatever on locating one in this country--wouldn't even know where to start asking, since it's gray market and the dealer network is therefore out. Does Messicks or anyone else do international orders? Does anyone know a sympathetic parts dealer here?

MrChuck (Australia)

MrChuck

Equipment
L2201DT
Nov 25, 2010
Well I got the bad news back from the radiator guy--$620 to repair!

This is as good as terminal I think...how would I go about finding the NA equivalent?

Charles

MrChuck

Equipment
L2201DT
Nov 25, 2010
Update: a local bloke has told me that an L245 radiator should fit, and this is an official model for this region.

Does anyone know if it will in fact drop in to my tractor?

C.

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Isn't there a chance to use a good-price standard radiator for cars? If I would have the same problem, and the replacement of a radiator would cost $1000, I would try to get a radiator for cars for $100 or less, that will fit with some little adjustments. It's just a radiator, same size would do the job.

On the other hand, I have found a source for your L2201: Only $320 !! :cool:

http://de.yenibiz.com/achat/produit_details.php?id=1298

But I don't know how much the shipping would cost, on the other hand it's just 10kg.

carl

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
MrChuck
What did you end up doing?

Has anyone made a commmon automotive rad work in their tractor?
I would have explored that option, even at $320 for a rad.

Do guys actually pay $1100 a rad?

MrChuck

Equipment
L2201DT
Nov 25, 2010
OK, OK it's been a year and I've been very remiss in not posting about what happened. Better late than never--I hope!

It turns out that the cores are reasonably generic even though the assembly is not. The local radiator guy (as these things are measured here, he's more than 50k away) looked up the core dimensions in his Great Big Catalogue *(catalog for North Americans)* and pronounced a fee of around $200 to fix it. Which he did, and I've had no trouble since. If you're in Central Victoria, Australia, message me and I can pass on the details. If you're not, this info won't be of much use--except that, you can try repair rather than replace, and get good results, also bypassing any dealer issues neatly.

Again, apologies for not posting this in anything like a timely manner.

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
Good on you for figuring it out.
$200 is not a bad deal either.

I wasn't hot on the idea of an additive but in my case it worked.
$6 for a thing of Barsleak and all fixed.