L2000DT / L225DT broken axle

thetrick

Equipment
L2000
Feb 2, 2019
Charlotte, NC
So I managed to twist off the outer right hand yoke from my L2000. (photo attached)

First question is about the part. Kubota has the closest part as 34160-43825 right hand shaft yoke. But the diagram points to the inner shaft, and it is not clear if the u-joint and outer shaft (which is what I need) are included. There is no part number for only the outer shaft in any of the diagrams I have seen.

It's the same on kubota site as messick's

Second question is, is there any harm in running the tractor with the shaft from the diff removed? The shaft does not seem to be part of the diff support so I can't see from the diagrams how it could hurt.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Todd

Attachments

thetrick

Equipment
L2000
Feb 2, 2019
Charlotte, NC
And on further reflection I think I figured out how a broke that axle. That day was a series of follies in the mud. I drove my truck over to the tractor shed to jump the tractor that had been sitting most of the winter. Then I promptly got the truck stuck trying to drive it back to the house.

What killed the axle was when I went to push on the truck with the FEL in the mud. I am guessing downward pressure from the angled bucket on the bumper pressed the front wheels hard into the mud and let the rears slip which transferred all the torque to the front and that was that.

I did not realize what happened until I was cruising through the grass and the left front was spinning FASTER than the rears. This being due to the broken right yoke jamming in the spindle. I'm glad the grass was wet or this could have torn something else up.

Oh well live and learn.

TH

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
Does searching for "stub shaft" help at all?

You might be able to have that repaired at a good driveline shop. Or if you know a really good weldor, competent in metallurgy.

thetrick

Equipment
L2000
Feb 2, 2019
Charlotte, NC
Does searching for "stub shaft" help at all?

You might be able to have that repaired at a good driveline shop. Or if you know a really good weldor, competent in metallurgy.
Yea, I might see if I can get it repaired. I know a few guys that build 4x4 rock crawlers, they are pretty used to breaking parts like this.

TH

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sadly that part is Obsolete, hence why there is no Part# listed for it.

You'll either have to fix that one or get one off a parts tractor.

That front axle is very rare, and it doesn't cross over to others.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Any chance you can show me the fractured surface of the shaft?

thetrick

Equipment
L2000
Feb 2, 2019
Charlotte, NC
Sadly that part is Obsolete, hence why there is no Part# listed for it.

You'll either have to fix that one or get one off a parts tractor.

That front axle is very rare, and it doesn't cross over to others.
Yea I figured it would end up being a used part. I was just ecpecting there to be some sort of part number even if it was historical so that I could corss ref with other models. Any idea what other tractors shared this part?

TH

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
No problem. Looks like it twisted it right off.
Many thanks for the pics. I was hoping to see some signs of the failures history; unfortunately they've been erased from rubbing together after the fracture event. About the only thing I can make out other than the rotating failure is the case hardening depth.

I'm hoping you won't have much trouble replacing or rebuilding the part.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea I figured it would end up being a used part. I was just ecpecting there to be some sort of part number even if it was historical so that I could corss ref with other models. Any idea what other tractors shared this part?

TH
Sadly no other US or Grey tractors took that same front drive that I know of.

I'm looking for a part number for it, but usually when no part # is listed on Kubota's site it's because they only offer the part as part of an assembly, but I'm not finding an assembly number either.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Think I'd search out a very competent weld shop or machine shop with welding capabiliities (TIG) and have it reattached. It will requite complete disassembly because the mating parts will have to be undercut and then TIG welded and once welded, heat treated. Not a cheap fix but a viable alternative.

You want to have it TIG welded because TIG will localize the heat, have no spatter and will give you a strong bond. Lots of stuff ongoing with that. Not a matter of 'sticking it back on. Needs to be fixtured for squareness and located in alignment with the centerline of the parent part.

It's doable but it will be expensive and accept nothing other than TIG welding.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
I'll ask...

What process was performed on the failed OEM part?

hint: I already know.