l185dt no shifters on the hump

ditchpig

Equipment
L1511dt
Jun 12, 2014
beamsville
Hello im a new owner of what I think is a l185dt special I just got the tracktor running after getting the fuel pump rebuilt an injectors done it runs great small issue wont move pto is spining an cant seem to be able to shut it off theres a shifter on the right side by the steering wheel with two forward spots an two for reverse any one have any info on what might be the issue here. All l185dt tractors I have seen have shifts on the hump cheers

Attachments

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
This machine have a selector for hi and lo range? Also one for two wheel and four wheel drive? Does it sound like anything turning? I suspect something is, as pto is rolling. Engine off- see if pto spins by hand. Some lever in neutral pisition maybe.

My l1501 freeeheels the pto,when an implement is connected, it doesent spin.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
It may be what is called a "creeper gear" See this link and search the term "creeper gear" and you will find others.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1685&highlight=creeper+gear

I have a L185 2WD and there are two shifters one the hump, left is PTO and right is gears. High/low selector is on the left side of transmission (between your left calf and the transmission when sitting in seat) and is fairly horizontal up for low and down for high range. According to the manual the 2WD/4WD lever is fairly vertical in a similar location but connects below the foot board.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I don't see a gas pedal - it should be on the right deck somewhere. Since the lump on the hump has an oil filter, I wonder if this was an attempt at HSD? I believe there is linkage from the right hand shifter down to the side of the transmission. Does it also connect to the fuel system?
To the left of the filter, there appears to be a hydraulic block and tubing section. Mine had a block/port just to the left of the driver's seat. Does yours?

ditchpig

Equipment
L1511dt
Jun 12, 2014
beamsville
Thrre is a gas peddle on the right floor board an when yiu say attempt at hsd what might that in tail I was under the impression that hsd was not out when these tractors were built an if thats the case does any one have any info as for the leavers I have pushed pulled an tried out all of them still nothing when I get home tonight all try spinning the pto with the motor off thanks everyone so for for the help im not really looking forward to having to split the tractor haha also I will take a few better photos tonight cheers everyone

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
The only thing i've ever seen that closely resembles that transmission was on an old ford tractor my grandfather had. It looks like a version of the ford select o'matic transmission. If i remember right, forward/reverse and the speeds were controlled by a cable, and were very finicky about the cables sticking. They didn't sell many due to most people preferring gears. Judging by the pictures it looks like kubota must have experimented with a similar style transmission for a bit. And you came across one hell of a rare find :)

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I just realized i should have stated how the transmission worked. The transmission was basically an automatic like in a car. Clutch was used to shift between forward, nuetral, and reverse. And to engage pto. Once moving you could bump the lever up a notch and it would shift to the next gear. Much like shifting between 1,2 and drive in a car.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I was leaning towards a creeper gear unit, that was used for trenching or slow tilling, but the shifter attachment throws that all out of wack.
It does not have the same case as the standard shift model (added right side round plate that the had shifter goes too.) so it wasn't just bolt on unit per say. It still might be a purpose built gear reduction unit or creeper unit.
The other (and more likely option) like gpreuss suggested is a HST proto type or add on.
From the pic's someone has been into it recently as the cover for the unit and the shifter (round plate) Have new gasket sealing material around it.
Also looks like someone has bypass/plugged the hydraulic porting with after market pipe plug in the top of the unit.

If moving all the levers is doing nothing then I would suspect that you might have an internal problem.
It should have had a pipe or hose feeding hydraulic fluid to the port that they capped and that might also be the reason the unit is not working.

More pictures might help?
Does it have a regular 3 point setup on the back?

ditchpig

Equipment
L1511dt
Jun 12, 2014
beamsville
Sorry for the long delay was up north this weekend stepped on a big rusty nail 3/4 of the way threw my foot bad weekend well any ways thanks everyone for the information an ideas at least now I know where to start lol L1511dt well guess I have to buy the manual for that because the one I have bought for the l185dt wasn't that much help to figure my issue so im gussing the reasoning for no movement forward or reverse is coming for in side an im going to have to take it apart thank you everyone im a true fan of this forum