L185 won't start

Mike Sim

Equipment
Kubota l185
Jul 2, 2023
Florida
Hi,
I'm new to the forum. I've had a L185 for a few years and it always ran great. I ran it out of fuel over a year ago and just let it sit. I've drained the fuel, checked and bled the lines but it just won't fire even with a blast of ether. Cranks beautifully but doesn't even try to start. Any ideas? I was wondering if maybe the ignition switch was bad. The indicator light has power but the key just spins and doesn't stop at any positions. Could this be the issue?

X-Pup

Equipment
L2501, 526 Loader W/QC LP RCF2060 Cutter, BB 1260-82, 3RD Function, top&Tilt
Nov 13, 2022
Washington
There are far more qualified experts than myself on this forum that can guide you through a successful startup, but I have seen it mentioned many times that using ether starting fluid on a diesel engine is highly discouraged. It can potentially brick your engine. Premature detonation could deform your piston rods among other things.

Starting from a dry engine usually involves priming the fuel system somehow. it usually involves a fuel bleed screw somewhere on fuel injection system. I see you have already done that. (Possibly plugged or blocked injectors?)

Someone with more knowledge of your particular model tractor can chime in on that procedure but I thought I would get that bit of information about avoiding ether out there before you potentially break something.

If it has yet to fire up at all, you're probably ok so far at this point.

Reactions: 1 users

Mike Sim

Equipment
Kubota l185
Jul 2, 2023
Florida
There are far more qualified experts than myself on this forum that can guide you through a successful startup, but I have seen it mentioned many times that using ether starting fluid on a diesel engine is highly discouraged. It can potentially brick your engine. Premature detonation could deform your piston rods among other things.

Starting from a dry engine usually involves priming the fuel system somehow. it usually involves a fuel bleed screw somewhere on fuel injection system. I see you have already done that. (Possibly plugged or blocked injectors?)

Someone with more knowledge of your particular model tractor can chime in on that procedure but I thought I would get that bit of information about avoiding ether out there before you potentially break something.

If it has yet to fire up at all, you're probably ok so far at this point.
I already went through the injector system and made sure it was getting fuel. I appreciate your help, I'll take any advice I can get. My brother always did the maintenance and repairs before he moved away so I have to learn now 😁

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Throw the ether can as far away from the tractor as possible!
Have you bled the injector lines at the top of the injectors?
And if it sat dry for too long it may need the injectors cleaned or rebuild.
Have you checked the air cleaner?
Have you checked if your getting power to the glow plugs on pre heat and on crank?

Mike Sim

Equipment
Kubota l185
Jul 2, 2023
Florida
Throw the ether can as far away from the tractor as possible!
Have you bled the injector lines at the top of the injectors?
And if it sat dry for too long it may need the injectors cleaned or rebuild.
Have you checked the air cleaner?
Have you checked if your getting power to the glow plugs on pre heat and on crank?
Fuel / injectors are good and bled. Trying to start without the air cleaner on so that's not the issue either. I ordered new glow plugs but I have no idea how to check if they are getting power on preheat or crank

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Fuel / injectors are good and bled. Trying to start without the air cleaner on so that's not the issue either. I ordered new glow plugs but I have no idea how to check if they are getting power on preheat or crank
Meter or simple test light will tell you if they are getting power.

Reactions: 1 users

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You need to verify that a few things are working properly and then try to start it.

The key should be turned to its first position. If it is not working properly then it may be just loose and needs to be aligned with the notch in the dashboard and tighten up the chrome ring. I think you sent a private message that I answered about the part number for the switch. Honestly if the starter spins the engine then the tractor will start and the key can be turned off but the alternator won’t charge.

if the key doesn’t work then you should get it fixed eventually. Confirm that you have a key switch and a secondary switch that activates the glow plugs and the starter.

You will need the glow plugs to work properly or it will be difficult to impossible to start the tractor. You can bypass the wiring to the glow plugs if you want to. If you want to go that route just ask and I can give you some instructions on how.

You seem confident that you have bled the system well but please describe how you know that it is bled and that the injectors are working.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
By the way tractors have set up for longer periods and they eventually will get started so don’t be discouraged yet