L185 transmission problems

mdb6000

Equipment
b6000
Oct 11, 2010
monroe, ct
Another l185 question/problem for you: Second time in a week this happened to me, put it in gear to go forward, and nothing, motor bogs down but tractor wont move. Put it in neutral, let off the clutch, and it goes backwards. When I actually go to put it in reverse, the shifter wont go into that slot. First time, I just messed around with the shifter and it finally got going. This time, I decided to take off the transmission cover and poke around, of course I lost one of those springs in the transmission case. No big deal, i fished it out with a magnet extender, but of course you know it happened again after i had put the cover on then off, on then off...and now i cant fish it out. (finally got the tractor going, didn't do anything, just took the cover off to peek in and put it back on) So, 2 problems now, there is a spring in the transmission case, is that a problem? and secondly, what to do about this transmission getting all funky.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm wondering if your missing the balls that go with the springs too? ;)
that or worn / broken parts can case shifting issues.

A single spring in the case is not much of an issue, but if you end up finding metal chunks in the fluid or filter, just hope they are just ground up spring and not other parts, tolerances are pretty tight and a spring pinched in the wrong place could break some serious parts! :eek: :(

mdb6000

Equipment
b6000
Oct 11, 2010
monroe, ct
is there something that i should be looking for to see if something is worn just by removing the the transmission cover?

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
From what im reading here, a stop of some kind is missing, fork should not be able to move enough to allow a spring to pop out, and theres either a ball or button that spring pushes on. Its either in bore where spring came out or also laying in bottom of trans. Drain and flush with solvent.

mdb6000

Equipment
b6000
Oct 11, 2010
monroe, ct
sorry if i misinformed....the only reason a spring popped out was because i tried to play mechanic and take off the cover by the shifter....in doing so, i lost a spring as it stuck to the cover when i pulled it out. I'm looking at my parts diagram now and there are supposed to be balls with these springs. I have just ordered two new springs, one to replace and one for when i mess up again....and i ordered 3 balls as well....still not sure what went wrong

mdb6000

Equipment
b6000
Oct 11, 2010
monroe, ct
ok well turns out the guy i bought the tractor from thought of making some repairs as the box of parts he gave me contained 3 new forks and some other goodies. I had those all replaced and used the tractor quite a bit today and didn't have one problem with it.....thanks for the help