L185 "new" owner question

GtreeJon

Equipment
L185
Sep 27, 2012
Girdletree, MD, US
My father purchased a L185 a couple years back and then passed away last summer. I recently moved to our family farm and have inherited the tractor. I've done a maintenance overhaul on it and started working on purchasing implements to actually put the thing to use. Previously, it had only been used to maintain our mile long driveway with a front blade. After reading a bunch of threads on here, it sounded like a 4 foot rotary cutter was the way to go since I read some people were dissatisfied with a 5-footer.

I purchased one new from TSC and when I went to hook it up the PTO shaft it came with was too short to hhok to the tractor. After a few phone calls, I learned that both King Kutter and Tarter Farm and Ranch supply these to TSC. Mine came from Tarter and I have been in contact with their tech to see if he can send me a longer PTO shaft. Has anyone else experienced this problem or does anyone know of a rotary cutter brand that will fit right? TSC wasn't my first option but they were about half the price of the local implement place which sells New Holland.

These threads have been extremely helpful so far and I appreciate any advice anyone has! It sure would be nice to have a rotary cutter that works cause deer season (rifle, bow is already in) is coming very soon and I'd like to create a few more options for hunting locations on our farm.

Thanks,
Jon

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Most modern small tractors take a short PTO shaft, but the Kubota L takes a regular length. TS should have a longer one in stock and should make it right.

By far the worst mower we ever had was a 4' King Cutter, but it was cheap! After using it a few times, I was ready to give the thing away. Used on a little 22hp Massey. Ended up trading it on a 5' Woods and all was good. I ran a 5' on a very old L245 for many years, but I'm not sure a 5' would work on a L185?

Over the years I've found it better to buy tractors and attachments from a real tractor dealer and stay away from the discount, big box, import type stores.

Sorry to hear about your dad and welcome to the site.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I pulled a 60" Montgomery Wards bush hog behind my L185DT for years. I had to use 3rd & 2nd most of the time, 1st when the going got tough. I'm still using the Wards on my L3200, only now it is 5th, 4th, and occasionally 3rd in the really heavy stuff. With the 185, I was thinking of cutting the blades back to 54". I'd recommend going with the 48". You only have about 13 PTO horses...
I go along with Bluegill - buy real equipment to start off with. You won't regret it. Tractor dealers work with real farmers. They don't want product coming back. I personally want to use the implement, not repair/redesign it.
The link below gets you to a thread talking about a 3-1/2" extension for the PTO, which may be enough to make the mower work.
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8107

GtreeJon

Equipment
L185
Sep 27, 2012
Girdletree, MD, US
Thanks for the info. Likely, I will be returning the cutter back to TSC. I will say that they have been as helpful as they could with all of this even saying that if it went beyond their 30 day return period, it still wouldn't be a problem to return. I definitely want something that will work (and work well). I'm not planning on cutting saplings or anything, mostly ragweed and goldenrod, with some bramble mixed in. Guess, I'll keep my eye on Craigslist as I do occasionally see 4-footers on there, but they go quick.

Jon