pto shaft overlap

Jefferson

Equipment
L3200 fel, Bx 2380 fel,60"deck,50"fm snowblower,50"tiller, Brush hog
Oct 14, 2011
West Michigan, USA
Hello all, I'm in need of about a 3" piece of the female side of a pto shaft.It is sort of a rounded triangle looking and measures 1.750 o.d. I need to increase the overlap on my brush hog to accomodate my new orange. I will happily reimburse for shipping if someone has an extra piece that hasn't made it to the scrap iron yard yet.
Thanks, Jefferson

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
My experience is that what you describe is not domestic manufacture. I've got one like that (spare for different tractor) and haven't seen another in my area in years. You may have to start with an entire new driveline. Probably square. Be aware that square driveline material is not the same as scrap-yard square tubing. FYI I just last year from my local Co-op shop bought one new U-joint and the telescoping 2-piece driveline for $80. Fitted domestic 6-ft 60-hp gearbox and Kubota std PTO. If you do it yourself look for spring-clip holding on U-joint caps before mashing them to remove.

Please post back and advise how you adapt and overcome.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Not sure what 3 inches is going to do for you, unless you meant 3 feet, in which case you'd be better off with a new shaft assembly of proper length. It sounds like your shaft might be a eurocardan shaft with the modified triangle tube. Parts are available.

Jefferson

Equipment
L3200 fel, Bx 2380 fel,60"deck,50"fm snowblower,50"tiller, Brush hog
Oct 14, 2011
West Michigan, USA
AHA, I finally remembered what I did with the 3" piece I had cut off when I first bought the brush hog! I was having the septic pumped at the same time I was working on my new brush hog. I had thrown the 3" piece I had cut off in the hole to mark the opening on the tank, to make it easier to find with my metal detecter for future pump outs! Well it worked! I did find it with my metal detector and now it is welded back on the pto shaft. I had 3" of overlap before welding it back on but wanted more just incase! Sure didn't want that thing comming out and swinging around back there. So all is well that ends well!:)

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I just received the extension, and I love it! $20, + $16 postage! Extends the PTO shaft about 3-1/2". Heavy duty. And, it makes putting any PTO a whole lot easier! I'm not nervous about the tiller anymore. Or the snow blower. Good tip!!