L185 locked in hi range

Kabota

Equipment
Kabota L1801DT special
Nov 30, 2018
Summerville Pa.
I bought this L185 a few weeks ago. I test drove it putting it in hi and low range not realizing that it was staying in high range when you shifted into low range. Also the PTO is engaged all of the time.

When you shift lever it feels like you are moving a gear.... but maybe not:confused:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
In my collection of documents I have an Operators Manual for a L185.
If you would like a copy, send me a Private Message with your email address and I will send it to you.

Kubotabooks.com has a free Workshop Manual.

http://kubotabooks.com/AutoIndex/in...s/&AutoIndex=60dc522d67081bc6b7f339b5292a14a1

From my quick read of the specifications for a L185, it has a single dry plate clutch was means your PTO is NOT "live." By live I mean it should keep running even when the clutch controlling tractor motion is depressed. Of course for the pto to rotate at all it must be engaged.

Others with more specific knowledge may correct this.

Carefully removing the top of the transmission may reveal a shifter fork out of position. This can happen from wear and heavy hand and often, once returned to the correct position, will work properly for years.

Dave

Kabota

Equipment
Kabota L1801DT special
Nov 30, 2018
Summerville Pa.
I always get manuals when I buy tractors .... but I just bought this one and had a hydraulic issue to deal with. Usually I take someone along when buying a tractor but this one was 3 hours away.

I knew when I bought it that it did not have independent pto nor did it have a 2 stage clutch. L185 does have a built in over-riding clutch .... which is nice.

Same lever is used to engage pto and change from hi to low range..... I assume you can only use the pto when in low range .... but I may be wrong ?????

Lever has a modified H pattern with 3 instead of 4 positions. In neutral swing lever to left and push ahead for High or pull back for low.

To engage pto swing lever to right and push ahead (there is no pull back position.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I always get manuals when I buy tractors .... but I just bought this one and had a hydraulic issue to deal with. Usually I take someone along when buying a tractor but this one was 3 hours away.

I knew when I bought it that it did not have independent pto nor did it have a 2 stage clutch. L185 does have a built in over-riding clutch .... which is nice.

Same lever is used to engage pto and change from hi to low range..... I assume you can only use the pto when in low range .... but I may be wrong ?????

Lever has a modified H pattern with 3 instead of 4 positions. In neutral swing lever to left and push ahead for High or pull back for low.

To engage pto swing lever to right and push ahead (there is no pull back position.
I think you need to be a little more clear...Pictures can help out.

Range has nothing to do with the PTO.
Range would only affect the speed of the tractor.
Now if you talking PTO it has 3 speeds, but that is not a range lever.
The PTO will engage and run in any of the three speeds, and will run at that speed regardless of the Transmission speed setting.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The pto has three speeds. The first gear is 540 RPM output at the engine speed marked on the tachometer.

The tractor has high range and low range. That is a lever on the left side (sitting in seat) that moves up or down. From memory up is low range down is high range.

Both levers have a neutral position so put the pto into neutral and the pto should stop turning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk