Equipment
B6000
Feb 22, 2013
Stoke in England
Power to yer elbow Matt ..... an absolutely brilliant and absorbing commentary

Just 2 quick points

Why "Stumpy" ?

and

I'm jus down the road from you ... can you pop over to look at my B6000 ;)

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
I'll get back to ya when I've got the time and you've got the plane ticket! :)

I've used Stumpy a long time. I hardly remember why we thought it was so funny but on vacation when I was a kid I was playing the original Halo (Xbox game) with some of my cousins. If you don't pick a name it randomly assigns you one and most are fairly amusing, I got Stumpy. I was pretty awful and everytime I managed to get a kill I'd say you got stumped or some variation and we'd all laugh. One of those you had to be there moments, it stuck with me and I started using it as a screen name.

tmessenger

Equipment
B7100D P
Feb 17, 2013
Fairfield, IA
With the 7100 they sell head gasket shims so if you shave the head or block you can shim it back to spec and not end up with more compression then is called for. Don't know it this procedure and shim is available for you engine ?

Tim

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
It's the same on my machine. I ordered a shim but if I recall correctly they're 0.015" thick while the shop only took 0.006" off the deck of the block. I should be fine without it. I'm going to check the valve piston clearance to be sure but I doubt there's a problem.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Had a spare day this weekend so I decided to put the transmission back together. When I got it the top off was and I drained the water contaminated fluid and changed the reverse gear. There it has sat patiently since.

Saturday I picked up 6 gallons of SUDT2 for $130 which was about right. I started by popping all the drain plugs again and more milky watery oil came out of all three. It's had almost a year and a half to collect more water and drip down so little surprise there. Above are pictures of the drain plugs and the level plug on the left side of the transmission.

After draining I went about reinstalling the hydraulic pump and lines. Before bolting them down I used one of my squeeze bottles to fluid clean fluid through the lines and pump. I had a little trouble getting the bracket on the take off block to line up but a little strategic bending with a screw driver and rag sorted it out. The pump went back on without too much fuss though I have no idea how I managed to get at those two nuts on the far side before. I happened to have a set of metric crow's feet that did the trick this time (I don't remember using them taking it off). It was obviously intended that you remove the offset piece from the block before removing the pump.

Once the pump was bolted up I added about 3 gallons of fluid to the sump, squirted some more fluid into the pump and attached the lines.

Next I cleaned the crud off of the shifter fork plate and attempted to test fit it. I spotted a problem right away. Some idiot had snuck into the barn while I was away and put the reverse gear in backwards. The nerve!

So I removed the plate that locks the reverse gear shaft and right here is where my day started going wrong. FYI to anyone changing the reverse gear there is a right and wrong direction to push the shaft. The front of the shaft is home to an oring that is likely to be hard as diamond after all these years and is nearly impossible to push the gear over. It took a 3ft piece of pipe levered through the steering box opening just to force that shaft and that oring rearward. It took 30 more minutes of similar fussing before I managed to pop the gear off the shaft, minus one of the bronze bearing sleeves....

I then made the brilliant deduction that I'd done it wrong, pushed the shaft back the correct way (forward), removed the sleeve and pushed it back into the gear. Then I couldn't manage to get the gear back onto the shaft mostly due to lack of finger room. I managed to drop it several times into inches of murky transmission fluid. The best time I managed to drop it just right and it wound up at the very bottom of the transmission trapped underneath the main shaft. The only way it will fit in or out of that space is by rotating it such that the shift fork groove is touching the main shaft as it moves up or down. I couldn't get my hand down there and the coat hanger I had been using couldn't grip it properly get the gear back up. I was fairly certain I was going to have to remove the transmission and main shaft so I could get the gear back.

Luck would have it though my mother had one of those gripper arm thingy's from when she had a hip replacement and that proved to be my salvation. It had just enough grip to grab the teeth and slip it back up above the main shaft.

Crisis averted! I then attempted to test fit the forks again. Somebody found a dial marked "Challenge" somewhere in the barn and turned it way up. No matter what I did I couldn't get the reverse fork to fit in it's groove on the gear. I spent another half hour fiddling, cursing, and chucking wrenches through the wall and finally came to the conclusion that the groove was narrower than the fork. I couldn't get my calipers down there though so there was only one way to confirm that....

Uh huh well at least I was right. Here is what I measured.

Original Gear - New Gear
Old Groove Minor Diameter 1.135"
Old Groove Width 0.276"
New Groove Minor Diameter 1.015"
New Groove Width 0.265
Dist b\t Forks 1.150"
Fork Width 0.270"

There's plenty of clearance between the forks and the minor diameter on both gears but where as on the original gear gear there was a +0.006 width clearance there is a -0.005 width interference with the new gear. Apparently there is a bit of a quality control problem with who ever makes these replacement gears. I believe I got this gear from tractorpartsasap.com but I'm sure they got it from the same supplier as a bunch of other after market parts dealers so beware.

I thought about trying to turn the groove a little in the lathe but I didn't have any stock large enough to make a holder for it. The only other option was to narrow the forks a bit. They are hardened so I could only dull my file on it. Then I remembered my wet stone and sure enough the rough side cut quite well and fairly fast. Keeping the stone across both forks as I cut kept the two surfaces on each side parallel but there was nothing keeping the two pairs of surfaces parallel with each other. I played that one by feel and they stayed within a thousandths of parallel so I was pretty happy.

I took about 0.003 off each side and it fits like a glove now. I'm a little worried the fork was only case hardened and I burned through that to the softer core metal but only time will tell if it's going to wear out rapidly. The fork is (relatively) easy to change if it comes to it later on.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio

Oddly enough I got the gear back on the shaft on the first try and had the top bolted down complete with Hylomar in about 10 minutes. FYI it can be helpful to remove the detent balls and springs (top of the plate) when you take this apart so they don't get lost, they can go back in before the shifter plate is installed. The centering plungers can't. Once the forks are in position they can't be installed or removed so they have to be held in position while aligning the forks and dropping everything into place.

With the fork plate in place I added the remaining fluid til it came up to the fill plug. Took about 5.5 gallons, a little less than the official 23.4 quart number but I'm sure it'll need more once the hydraulic system refills. With that I scraped the old gasket off the shifter plate, stuck a new one under it and bolted it to the fork plate. Everything shifts beautifully and feels solid. That took a little longer than I'd hoped but at least I managed to weasel out of taking more of the tractor apart! I even managed to make the boring bar tools I need for my school project so it was good day all in all.

Last edited:

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Glad to see you are making progress.

Don't be too hard on the idiot when you catch him; he managed to keep you entertained for hours on Saturday:eek:.

I can't believe you didn't show a picture of the new custom tool "gripper arm thingy,":rolleyes:.

On a more serious note, you did clean the hydraulic screen when you had things apart, didn't you?

Keep up the good work,

Robert

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Weeeeeeell I was somewhat agitated at the time annnnnnnd forgot to take a picture. :D I also couldn't think of the proper name when I was writing this, I believe the more technical term is a grabber.

I do remember cleaning the pickup screen a while back, not sure if I took a picture or mentioned it back then but I'm sure I did it.

I'll try not to flog him to badly though I do wonder what else he put in backwards.

Retlaw66

Equipment
L275, B2100
Apr 28, 2013
Eastern Pa
Great thread Matt! You've got some talent for a younger guy, keep it up!
I rebuilt my first engine (a Buick 425) when I was 15, but didn't rebuild a Kubota until 30 years later. I was very impressed with the design, strength and overall build quality of the Kubota engines. It was a good experience.
My 3-cylinder L275 needed to be bored oversized but otherwise only needed gaskets and bearings to complete.
You may need some fuel injector pump shims to get the timing back in spec....

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Thanks! I've got a pile of injector shims in the box ready to go.

Seems like no matter what I do my time is already spoken for. I had finals last week so at least that's out of the way. What little I did in this post I finished weeks ago I just haven't had time to write it up. Now were scrambling to finish the mini baja car and on top of the my mower just crapped out.

After buttoning up the transmission when I went back up to the barn a few days later I found a nice puddle under the filter screen housing. Seems that my instant gasket I used before didn't take properly. After draining it I tried again with a different gasket compound but it began leaking again almost immediately. Guess I need a real gasket. There was a surprising amount of metal particles in the fresh oil I drained out. I'll have to run it through a filter of some sort when I refill it later.

I decided to clean up the radiator next. I pulled the shroud and took it outside. Yeaah no mystery as to why this thing overheated. That dirt is probably the result of the oil leak from the gear case spraying the radiator and collecting dust. I'm very familiar with that now as you'll see in a bit.

While the radiator was drying I went to put the fan back on. As I gave it a spin I could hear the bearings and they didn't feel good. They're cheap and very easy to get to right now so out the came. They're retained between the shaft nut, fan, and those snap rings. There's a collar that sits between the bearings. Once the shaft is out the collar can be pushed off to the side and the bearing drifted out. Found em here for $3 a piece and $5 shipped. You'd need a mighty big stick to beat that.

As you can see the battery tray has seen better days. It's got the one big hole you can see and it's pretty thin on the left edge in one spot. I could've just replaced it with something functional but if that's how I was playing this I'd have thrown the whole tractor out a long time ago! I've got a little air cooled Miller Tig welder that I pretend to know how to use to impress my friends. Figured I'd try my hands at some sheet metal work.

The dremel cut out the cancer without much effort though it ate the cutoff wheels like they were made of candy. Probably not the right tool but it worked.

I then spent 20 minutes carefully cutting and fitting a chunk of sheet metal. 5 minutes of awful tig welding and a little grinding and we have a corner again.

I did the other patch the same way and set it in place. Not winning any beauty contests but that was my first go tig welding sheet metal patches so I'm reasonably pleased.

Finally I decided to straighten the front bumper. Somebody had obviously played chicken with a tree and lost but it was no match for my floor jack! Had to take the wheels off to make it fit but it did the job. I straighten the middle piece with a little heat from the torch a couple days later. Cruddy pictures but you can see how bent it was.

I had originally planned on continuing this weekend but last week after I finished mowing for the first time this season I noticed some wisps of oil smoke coming from the mower. Pulled the cover and found handfuls, handfuls of earthy deposits all over the front of the engine and inside the fins on the right cylinder. The result of oil mixing with dust. It's always used a half quart or so every 4-5 mows and the oil filter lines have leaked a bit for years but I assumed the rest was getting burnt. Apparently dad and I screwed something up when we replaced the front oil seal after I accidentally overfilled the sump years ago and it's been weeping ever since unnoticed. The seal is replaceable with the motor in place but I couldn't get rear cover off to clean the fins without pulling the engine.

After much toil today the motor now sits on the bench awaiting parts and cleaning. I had to borrow the neighbor's mower to cut our lawn, it was over 7 inches in some spots! I now await the local Cub Cadet dealer to get their shit together and actually order the parts I told them to last week.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Stumpy,

I had the opposite bend in my bumper - I guess they weren't made to pull either. Anyway my farm jack got it mostly straight!

Do you have any idea what the two small tubes welded in there are really supposed to be used for? I actually thought they were added onto it until I saw the same thing on yours!

Mine was used for holding up a hunk of weight with all-thread but none of that looked "factory".

I took that off and got the suitcase weights (expensive cast iron per pound!)

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
If I had to guess I'd say it's mounts for some long lost factory implement but beyond that I've not a clue. They're not threaded so they're could be meant as pivot points.

LeadHead

Equipment
Kubota L275, Allis Chalmers WD45, King Kutter II 3-point tiller, dirt scoop, brush hog, back blade
Sep 29, 2009
Illinois
They are for the factory counterweight stack that is used when a tiller is mounted.
Do you happen to have a picture of such a device? What would be the benefit of such rather than regular suitcase weights?

wout V

Equipment
B1600
Jun 19, 2013
Belgium
To correctly align the flywheel I first rotated the engine to TDC on the first cylinder. Which stroke it's on doesn't matter in this case but I set it to TDC on the compression stroke out of habit. When the first cylinder is at TDC 1 | TC should be visible in the timing inspection hole visible in the picture above.

Simply align the mark to roughly the 3 o'clock position and hump the flywheel up to the crankshaft. If I had to do this again I'd goto the autoparts store and get a M8x1.25 stud to help with alignment (actually I should've just cut the head off a bolt) but it's doable with just a flywheel bolt and some patience. If they flywheel gets stuck in the wrong position you should be able to wiggle it back off again. Once it's close enough to get a bolt started it should align itself the rest of the way as you thread the bolt in (don't force it if it doesn't want to go!).
Stumpy,

I also need to rebuild the flywheel.
Now I read that there are marks on it. I have a question on this: how can I see when the 1e cylinder is on top (when the cylinder head is closed)?
What is the first cylinder? From which side do you start to count?

Last edited:

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
How goes your project?

I have since sold my L175 and bought an L245DT which is my third Kubota. I needed AG tires and FEL on a new property I bought so I had to move up and my shiny fresh project was just the ticket. Even though this L245 is ten years newer the old L175 started, run and drove much nicer. Yours should do very well with all the fresh new parts.
Good luck with the orange. :)

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Stumpy,

I also need to rebuild the flywheel.
Now I read that there are marks on it. I have a question on this: how can I see when the 1e cylinder is on top (when the cylinder head is closed)?
What is the first cylinder? From which side do you start to count?

Cyl #1 is the closest to the front of the engine toward the radiator so #2 is next to the flywheel.

jhodge

Apr 21, 2014
Youngstown, OH
Hey Matt,
I'm located south of you in Youngstown. I just bought a L1500DT (very similar to your 175) and did a full transmission rebuild. I'd like to talk to you sometime to exchange knowledge should you ever need to get into that and likewise should I need to tear into my engine.

For any others, I'd be happy to share what I've learned. The transmission rebuild started life as just the reverse being out (simple fix that can be done with out splitting) but as many know too well, turned into a full rebuild.

Very nice detail, pictures, and commentary.

Joel

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Thanks,

Do you know how can I see when the first cylinder is on top?

With the valve cover off you could turn the engine by hand and watch the intake on #1. As the intake opens and then closes the piston is upward on the compression stroke. To find TDC there are two things you could do. One is to remove the injector and use a rod or screw driver to feel when the piston is at the top. A second idea is more tedious by removing the intake or exhaust valve spring and use the valve to feel the piston's top position. Of course great care must be used to avoid dropping the valve but this can work.

On engines where the glow plug is more into the combustion chamber that opening can be used to feel the piston top but that is not the case with this engine. The plug is into a chamber that may not lend to this approach.