L175 Radiator Cleaning/Maintenance

Diesel N8

Equipment
Kubota L175, Bush Hog.
Dec 27, 2016
Lincoln, California
Hello everyone I wanted your input on what radiator fluid I should use in the L175 and also what cap it needs as well since its wearing out, I also need new radiator hoses and have seen a few sites that have those but nust wanted to double check, I went to napa once but they have a universal hose and its not a direct fitment.
Regarding fluid for the most part all Ive used was hose water from the well when running it and storing it for a few weeks. I do drain it when left untouched for months so it doesnt rust badly.
And recently during this summer I took it off the frame and straightened some fins out and power washed it afterwards, man was it dirtty, it had some chunks of dirt and thick brown dust in betweem the fins and also the fan shroud had chunks of dirt as well. Afterwards that helped cooling a lot since the heat wasnt as intense.

Let me know what you recommend I do with the fluid and cap! I hate having to open the lower rad hose and draining the hose water everytime, or should I just use straight distilled water? Thanks!

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
Premixed 50/50 green antifreeze from Prestone, Zerex, etc. is what you want to use. Don't drain it between uses. Leave it in the tractor. Sorry, no help on the radiator cap or hose.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The trick with a new cap is to get the psi rating correct - yours is going to be something around 13 psi (I think) - Here is a site that makes a lot of parts for Kubota, if you are a Amazon person - you can get the cap and the upper hose in one order :

https://www.amazon.com/Kubota-Radiator-L185-L175-L200/dp/B075Z42ZKS

It is critical to have a the correct fluids and correct fill of fluids in your radiator too. Nuke's greens is ideal - and the mixture is a standard mix. However - In your part of the country where it gets hot and not too cold throughout the year, you might want to go 30-70 (70% water), why you ask? Water is a better transmitter of heat, on a thermosiphon system like you have, there is no "pump" it basically moves throughout the head-block-radiator by "hot" risings and "cold" falling so heat dissipation is critical. I would also recommend a infrared thermometer :

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Las...00864217&sprefix=infrar,automotive,151&sr=8-3

this will allow you to get very accurate readings from your radiator, top being something like 200 F and the bottom being like 120 F.

If using well water - I would not, I would go to your local store and get 2-3 gallons of distilled water and keep them around for future needs.

IF you fill your radiator up to the top......you machine will spit some out! I normally look in the top and allow the water to sit about a good inch or tad more below the top neck.

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You can probably get the new cap and hoses from a Kubota dealer, either local or online.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Having used tap water in your system you should probably drain it as best you can. Insert your garden hose into the top radiator hose and run water into the engine, leaving the bottom hose disconnected to drain. This will reverse flush the block. Reverse flush the radiator (in at the bottom, out at the top) as well. Allow all water to drain from block and radiator. Now fill it with pure distilled water. Run it until warm or through the day then drain it. Fill again with distilled water and repeat. This should flush most mineral deposits out. Never, never, never use tap water except in an emergency. It leaves minerals which interfere with cooling. Fill with your chosen blend of antifreeze and DISTILLED water.

Diesel N8

Equipment
Kubota L175, Bush Hog.
Dec 27, 2016
Lincoln, California
So would just running straight distilled water be best for this coolant system? Also should I use a rust remover like thermocure to take any rust out before keeping the distilled water in it?

Diesel N8

Equipment
Kubota L175, Bush Hog.
Dec 27, 2016
Lincoln, California
Update- Took the whole radiator out and man there was some hidden chunks of dirt and old mud on certain parts of the rad shroud. I pressure washed the exterior and I can now see through it unlike before.