L175 oil light

mike175

Equipment
L175 with bucket, and all the usual stuff needed to live in the middle of nowher
Jun 2, 2013
N. Vassalboro
Hello, all; I just got my l175 running and moving! The engine started up from the get-go and runs very well with no smoke, leaks etc. At low hot idle the oil idiot light will come on, but will go off with a few more rpms. I have read about the cam plug issue and understand it. My question is what`s the idle/operating oil pressure of this engine. I will of course replace the sending unit first,but testing is also an option for me. Whatta ya think?

campbell8300

Equipment
L245
Mar 17, 2011
Canyon, TX
I agree with checking first, before spending any money on new parts.
I'd first check the oil level, then I'd check to make sure that it was the correct viscosity. Too thin of an oil may not develop enough pressure when hot.
Then, check the pressure switch.
When I first got my L245, the oil light was stuck on, but it was the cam plug issue. I checked the oil pressure switch by removing it and connecting a voltmeter to the leads (continuity check). I then used an air nozzle and lightly put pressure into the sensor to see if it was working.
I believe I recall seeing the system oil pressure in the repair manual. I've got a WSM at home. I can check tonight and post if I find it.
I will say that once I replaced the cam plug, the light only comes on at initial start-up, and definitely not when hot.
If you decide to run a gauge into the oil pressure port, keep in mind that those are not NPT threads. I believe they were 1/8" BSF or some other fine metric thread.

campbell8300

Equipment
L245
Mar 17, 2011
Canyon, TX
The WSM shows depending on your engine:

Z751-A: 14.2+ psi @ 750 rpm / 42.7 - 64 psi @ 2800 rpm

DH1101A: 14.2+ psi @ 600 rpm / 42.7 - 56.9 psi @ 2800 rpm
D1301-A

Hope this helps.

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Hello, all; I just got my l175 running and moving! The engine started up from the get-go and runs very well with no smoke, leaks etc. At low hot idle the oil idiot light will come on, but will go off with a few more rpms. I have read about the cam plug issue and understand it. My question is what`s the idle/operating oil pressure of this engine. I will of course replace the sending unit first,but testing is also an option for me. Whatta ya think?
Hows the blowby? If there is very little then I would not be concerned about the engine. You may have a light oil in it unless you know for sure what is in it. A light single grade oil will get very thin at high temps. Also is your low idle at spec. Lots of things to check that will give you a low pressure reading.

mike175

Equipment
L175 with bucket, and all the usual stuff needed to live in the middle of nowher
Jun 2, 2013
N. Vassalboro
Thanks for the reply's. I replaced the sending unit cuz it was cheap. I have run the tractor on the road in high gear to warm it up, and only get a warning light at stall speed. I think most engines like a high idle. I am running rotella 15-w-40 with a new fram filter. It has taken two months to get this moving, so I am overly cautious.

Mike in Maine

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I too would suggest a gauge check on it.
I wouldn't be too concerned if it's just under the lower side on the oil pressure.
There is some talk on here about oil filters from other manufactures causing problems with the oil pressures, just something to think about.