L175 issues and questions

Txfire468

Equipment
Kubota L175 with a 4ft bushhog, boxblade, and tiller.
Jul 26, 2013
Marshall,Texas,USA
Hey guys. Im from texas and was wandering a few things about my l175. #1, it smokes inttermittently.#2, what is the front pto for and how could it be used?#3, what are the loud engine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku9txwjnGes&feature=em-upload_ownernoises about, it sounds like a knock? And what are the basics on my tractor, such as power, what size implements can i use, and the cooling system. It overheats very easily. Thanks:confused:

kc8fbl

Equipment
2014 L3200 HST FEL, 1949 Minneapolis-Moline R
Aug 23, 2012
Gobles, MI
I would try running some seafoam or other diesel injector cleaner through it. That could help with the smoke. Might be a slightly dirty injector.

The front PTO may have been for a mid mount mower or possibly a front mount snow blower. However, I'm not sure you would need that being in Texas. I'm sure you don't see snow very often. :D

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
As far as the cooling system, make sure the radiator is clean inside and out, most older Kubota's use a thermal siphon system, that is that they don't have a water pump to move the water around it's all done via heat rising.
Take off the screen on the front or back of the radiator and use a hose to clean out the fins. Check the inside and if the water looks dirty flush it and add anti freeze in a 50/50 ratio, that will help it run cooler.

Txfire468

Equipment
Jul 26, 2013
Marshall,Texas,USA
Ok well thanks for the info. And no, i have seen snow 2 times in my fifteen years of being on this planet and both were within the past few yeArs, but i do live in the northeast texas region so i do see more than most. Ill post a vid on youtube tommorw and ill tag it here so you can see. Its a small shaft that runs directly off the crankshaft. Ill try the seafoam if tightenng the injectors doesnt help. The forward most injector is leaking diesel so it could be a mis-mixture in the cylnder.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
The knocking sound its the familiar noise of early Kubota diesels but it seems usually louder then normal, leads me to think you have an exhaust leak somewhere.

freewheel3

Equipment
MX5000DT LA852, BX1800D, B6000DT, B6200HSTD, B7100HSTD, L185, T1700HX, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
That shaft runs a front pto assembly that was an add on option. It contained an electric or manual clutch that you engaged when you wanted to use the front pto. It was used for powering a variety of implements such as snow blowers, sweepers, aux hydraulic pumps and also belly mount mowers.
By the way, the mower on the back of your tractor is not a belly mount. It is known as a 3 point mower. Belly mount mowers are also called mid mount mowers (MMM) and they mount under the tractor.

Txfire468

Equipment
Jul 26, 2013
Marshall,Texas,USA
That shaft runs a front pto assembly that was an add on option. It contained an electric or manual clutch that you engaged when you wanted to use the front pto. It was used for powering a variety of implements such as snow blowers, sweepers, aux hydraulic pumps and also belly mount mowers.
By the way, the mower on the back of your tractor is not a belly mount. It is known as a 3 point mower. Belly mount mowers are also called mid mount mowers (MMM) and they mount under the tractor.

Yes, i have a 3 point bushhog mower. What i said in the vid was that the belly mower worked off the 3 point and the mower was run by a pulley on the rear pto. They made front pto versions but i know i have a rear bush hog.

freewheel3

Equipment
MX5000DT LA852, BX1800D, B6000DT, B6200HSTD, B7100HSTD, L185, T1700HX, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
Oops, my bad. I thought you were talking about the bush hog but after I watched the vid again I realized I was jumping to conclusions instead of listening.
My wife says I never listen, maybe she's right.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The L175 and L185 and others in the "old L series" used a thermo siphon system. The radiator must be clean inside and out. There should be a "whistle" on the radiator overflow that sounds off if it is overheated.

Overheating can/usually cracks the head on these and they are somewhat hard to find.

Search for that and also look for Stumpy, Dusty T and AquaForce threads. I think they both have re-done L175s

I have a L185 and it is a great tractor. Mine is not nearly as "knocky" as yours but that may be exhaust leaks or bad muffler on yours.