L175 bogging down

Txfire468

Equipment
Kubota L175 with a 4ft bushhog, boxblade, and tiller.
Jul 26, 2013
Marshall,Texas,USA
I have a homemade 4ft bushhog that will bog down my tractor when its at full throttle and 4low or 1high. It will black smoke and then overheat very quickly, like within 50ft of starting point. Can someone help with my issue?

freewheel3

Equipment
MX5000DT LA852, BX1800D, B6000DT, B6200HSTD, B7100HSTD, L185, T1700HX, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
I have a homemade 4ft bushhog that will bog down my tractor when its at full throttle and 4low or 1high. It will black smoke and then overheat very quickly, like within 50ft of starting point. Can someone help with my issue?
Your tractor should be able to handle a 4' bush hog unless something in it is binding or dragging, creating too much load on the tractor, check that out. Also, have you checked to make sure the air filter is clean?
To overheat in 50' tells me the rad is probably plugged up, either inside, outside or maybe both. Are you running a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water?

Txfire468

Equipment
Jul 26, 2013
Marshall,Texas,USA
Actually im running 75/25 for extra cooling. Its a heavy built bush hog, 1/4 steel deck. All filters are clean. I just did a service job on it yesterday. I have to bush hog in low pto and finish in high. I think its a 540/1000 speed pto.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Best cooling can be reached at 25% antifreeze and 75% water.;)
Make sure the screen and radiator fins are clean an unobstructed.

Blowing heavy black smoke means its running very rich, you might have either worn injectors or rings (causing low cylinder pressure).

White smoke is water burning, usually caused by bad head gasket or cracked head.

Blue smoke is oil burning, worn valve stem seals and bad oil control rings can do this.

One other thing is if it has blow by (smoke coming out of the breather tube on the valve cover) that is a sign of bad compression rings.

The PTO on that tractor is a dual speed 514,786 or there about.

I think you said in another post that you used aluminum stop leak, that is a big oops, the radiator in your tractor is copper not aluminum.
drain all the fluid flush with water. If you must use a stop leak as a quick short term fix, use the copper kind. Bar's stop leak works very well.
To see if it's got a cracked head or bad head gasket, fill the system with clear water, run the tractor with the cap off and look for bubbles in the water, you will get a few in the beginning but if bubbles continue then you have a problem.

Last edited:

Txfire468

Equipment
Jul 26, 2013
Marshall,Texas,USA
No blow by, an its not worn injectors, there brand new although one does leak. The black smoke is just like a diesel truck, you floor it, the egt's skyrocket and it runs black. Im not sure whats wrong with it but im not worrying about it right this minute. Im leveling the driveway tommorow but i dont have enough diesel to mow the pasture. I was just trying it out because i just serviced it and repaired a shift fork.