L1500DT water in oil

Darrenw

Equipment
L1500DT
Aug 12, 2020
UK, County Durham
Hello all, hope your are all fantastic!

Ive had my 900 hours L1500DT for about 2 years. Only used for general grass cutting on a 1.5 acre paddock in UK.

Last year i had a oil in water problem which i seemed to fix by replacing the head gasket and oil tube o-ring. All has been well until i started cutting some longish grass. Water has now gotten into the oil!!

When i replaced the head gasket i had 2 small niggles. One was the o-ring as the new o-ring appeared to be a different colour to the one i removed (new one black, old one a sort of dark blue colour). Also one of the washers under a head stud was broken, i replaced it with what i thought was comparable quality but it appears to be distorted under the torque. Both of these i guess could lead to some water loss into the oil but it was running fine for a year until put it under some higher load which resulted in it overheating (whistling).

Would you have a go at replacing the gasket again and give it a chance or would it be a good idea to bite the bullet and replace the head?

Heads and gaskets seem easy ish to source. No idea where to get a head stud asher from though (in UK).

Im also wondering if anyone knows where Vics video's are? I recall seeing a great one on replacing the frost plug behind gearcase but cant find it now.

Thanks in advance,
D

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I'm no mechanic but if you overheated the engine you may have warped the head (or even the block). You may be able to mill the head back to true rather than replacing it. I believe you should then add a spacer (from Kubota) to compensate for the missing material and keep compression where it should be. I don't have an answer for the washers or O rings.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I would use Viton "O" rings, since they are designed to work well in a hot engine. I have no idea as to the washer, but it should be a service part from Kubota. Getting the partsin the UK might be another question of availability. You might need someone in the states to post it to you.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Have a machinist check your head and the block for being”square and level” if you remove that head again.