L1500/ L175 circulating block heater

LRP

Sep 29, 2010
canada
i just got done makeing circulating block heater. i used a 400 watt block heater and made the can out of a 2 in stainless shaft, u notice the 3/8
pipe nipple is on top of the can for thermo- syphon. it works good. in 1/2
hr the whole block was warm. i plan on puting some foam pipe insulation
around the can for obvious reasons

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
LRP, Nice Job! I especially like your electric cord hanger device!

LRP

Sep 29, 2010
canada
LRP, Nice Job! I especially like your electric cord hanger device!
Pat; thats what u call thinking outside the box.LOL.
i,m not done yet. that was there for the other block heater and for the moment, it works.

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Where does the other end of the heater hose go? I looked at the engiune on my L175 and found the plug that needs to be removed to screw in the pipe nipple, but I am wondering how to tie in the upper end. I would prefer not to tee into the upper radiator hose.

This is probably a moot point for me, my L175 lives with a Woods belly mower on it. I use the snap coupler Oxnard blade on my WD to clear my driveway of snow.

Thanks,

Robert

LRP

Sep 29, 2010
canada
Rob, the heater hose comes from the bottom of the rad as seen in this pic. it came that way hooked up the block whithout the block.
LRP

Where does the other end of the heater hose go? I looked at the engiune on my L175 and found the plug that needs to be removed to screw in the pipe nipple, but I am wondering how to tie in the upper end. I would prefer not to tee into the upper radiator hose.

This is probably a moot point for me, my L175 lives with a Woods belly mower on it. I use the snap coupler Oxnard blade on my WD to clear my driveway of snow.

Thanks,

Robert

Orange Tractors

Equipment
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
I see how it hooks up now, thanks for the second picture. My L175 doesn't have that hose on it.

I will look at the bottom of the radiator for a fitting tomorrow. I know there is a drain cock on it, but I can't remember which side it is on.

Robert

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
I will look at the bottom of the radiator for a fitting tomorrow. I know there is a drain cock on it, but I can't remember which side it is on.

Robert

Yes that pic shows the hose in the petcock hole. It is kind of a pain to turn the tight brass fitting on my tractor, that is how I remember it well.

Looks like a clean install. Easy to drain with the hose too.
Good job.:)

Orange Tractors

Equipment
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Yes that pic shows the hose in the petcock hole. It is kind of a pain to turn the tight brass fitting on my tractor, that is how I remember it well.

Looks like a clean install. Easy to drain with the hose too.
Good job.:)
Yep, I went out and looked this morning. The main reason I couldn't remember which side it was on is the fact that I haven't used the petcock.

Earlier this year, when I had the overheating problem, I used washing soda to clean the radiator and block; but I drained the system by pulling the lower radiator hose.

You would not believe how much crap came out of the cooling system.

Like I said in an earlier post; I probably won't do this to my tractor, but clarifying where all the connections go may help someone else.

Robert