L1500 fuel injection

Kevin.shea

Equipment
L1500/L175
May 3, 2023
Kansas city
I'm having a issue with this project tractor. It has been setting a few years without any fuel. The guy I got it from said he replaced the return spring for the throttle. It looks to me that at some point the whole front cover was taken off. Anyway I went to bleed the fuel to the injectors and got nothing to the fuel injectors. Out of curiosity I pulled the cover and there is a plunger, I'm assuming it is for the rack. If I take a screw driver and push it forward, I can get fuel to the injectors and it will run. But as soon as I let off of it it shuts down. Before I take the front cover off can some one let me know what to look for? Obviously the last guy didn't put it together right.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You don't need to remove the front cover.
Is the fuel injector rack pin in the slot of the governor arm?
All of that is seen from the cover you have off on the side.
If the rack pin is not in the arm remove the four bolts that hold the pump down pick it up and align the pin to the slot.

1684625802365.png

1684625741913.png

Kevin.shea

Equipment
L1500/L175
May 3, 2023
Kansas city
You don't need to remove the front cover.
Is the fuel injector rack pin in the slot of the governor arm?
All of that is seen from the cover you have off on the side.
If the rack pin is not in the arm remove the four bolts that hold the pump down pick it up and align the pin to the slot.

View attachment 103026

View attachment 103025
The rack pin and arm both move together so I'm thinking that they are together right. One thing I did find was that the fuel limit stop was ran all the way in. Also is there a noticeable difference between the governor spring and the throttle spring? They look to be the exact same on my tractor. I have the shop manual for it but the diagrams are not very clear. And I'm not sure which one goes to the stud on the case and wich one goes on the throttle.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Give me a pic of your " governor spring" (which is the start spring).
It should be a very light weight spring.
The start spring connects to a pin inside the gear case accessible from under the throttle control plate.

1684687588740.png

Kevin.shea

Equipment
L1500/L175
May 3, 2023
Kansas city
Thanks, just ordered the spring.
Ok, the spring came in and I installed it. also I ordered 2 glow plugs. It starts a lot easier, But now it surges at wide open throttle and dies at an idle. while i was at it I checked the compression of the cylinders and the back cylinder is showing about 370 PSI and the front cylinder is showing about 270PSI. from what I have read 327PSI is the lowest it should go before its time for a rebuild? Thoughts? engine kit recommendations? is the surging and lower compression related? or separate issues? also it does have low oil pressure. I suspect that the plug in the cam has fallen out but its just a guess right now.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Here is a rebuild Kit:

Sounds like you may need the injection pump rebuilt, but low compression on a two cylinder can really make things run odd.

I would check the valve lash and run it for a bit and see if it calms down.

Kevin.shea

Equipment
L1500/L175
May 3, 2023
Kansas city
Here is a rebuild Kit:

Sounds like you may need the injection pump rebuilt, but low compression on a two cylinder can really make things run odd.

I would check the valve lash and run it for a bit and see if it calms down.
Ok, I guess YOUTUBE is your friend. I have been looking at a lot of post on YT, There is a guy in Washington who did a post on low oil pressure and it just so happened that he had the throttle cover off his tractor. well some time in the past someone thought it was a good idea to put a spring on the Max fuel limit stop. so i took mine back apart and removed the spring. low and behold it starts and idles like a champ revs up to about 2100 RPM and no more surging. Its still got work to be done on it, the low oil pressure is concerning, and I think ill tear into that next. after i figure that out i think i will run another compression check on it. From what i have been told by the guy who had it before me it hasn't been run since 2009.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ok, I guess YOUTUBE is your friend. I have been looking at a lot of post on YT, There is a guy in Washington who did a post on low oil pressure and it just so happened that he had the throttle cover off his tractor. well some time in the past someone thought it was a good idea to put a spring on the Max fuel limit stop. so i took mine back apart and removed the spring. low and behold it starts and idles like a champ revs up to about 2100 RPM and no more surging. Its still got work to be done on it, the low oil pressure is concerning, and I think ill tear into that next. after i figure that out i think i will run another compression check on it. From what i have been told by the guy who had it before me it hasn't been run since 2009.
What PSI oil pressure are you getting?
And are you measuring it with a mechanical gauge?

Kevin.shea

Equipment
L1500/L175
May 3, 2023
Kansas city
What PSI oil pressure are you getting?
And are you measuring it with a mechanical gauge?
Sorry its been a while, well after some checking and research I found a few problems. and I have no idea how this thing even ran. That explains the slow to accelerate.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sorry its been a while, well after some checking and research I found a few problems. and I have no idea how this thing even ran. That explains the slow to accelerate.
That's normal the timing marks only line up every 256 revolutions.
It's normal for them to not be aligned at any other point in the rotation cycle.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
As a tech in a bigger dealership got to watch a tech(newbie) turn an engine over by hand for about 3 hours to achieve this. I did not get involved as his mentor went on a test drove for a few hours. Just sat back and watched. What I want to know is if NIW did the math and figured out the required revolutions' or was he a bored hourly tech one day?

Kevin.shea

Equipment
L1500/L175
May 3, 2023
Kansas city
As a tech in a bigger dealership got to watch a tech(newbie) turn an engine over by hand for about 3 hours to achieve this. I did not get involved as his mentor went on a test drove for a few hours. Just sat back and watched. What I want to know is if NIW did the math and figured out the required revolutions' or was he a bored hourly tech one day?
yeah I thought I had my AHhha moment. I only turned it back for about 116 revolutions before i got them all to align. but it wasn't a total defeat every one is 1 tooth off. I don't even know if that matters.

Kevin.shea

Equipment
L1500/L175
May 3, 2023
Kansas city
It's normal for them to not be aligned at any other point in the rotation cycle.
Well that was short lived. I'm glad i didn't take the gear set off.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
yeah I thought I had my AHhha moment. I only turned it back for about 116 revolutions before i got them all to align. but it wasn't a total defeat every one is 1 tooth off. I don't even know if that matters.
Yes if every one is one tooth off it might matter, unless it lines up again somewhere in the cycle.
I would pull and reset just to be safe.
It's a super easy reset.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's actually in one of the old WSM's, I don't remember which one.
And no never that bored!