L1500 dip stick level question

Serek

Equipment
Kubota L1500 with slasher
Nov 3, 2010
Emerald, Queensland, Australia
Can someone please tell me the correct oil level on my dipstick? It doesn't have the usual hashed area for acceptable level but rather two lines and a bunch of numbers. Also would I push it all the way in when checking the level or just in to the steel lug? I took it to my local Kubota seller and he wasn't sure either. I've included pictures.

Attachments

Michael

Equipment
Zen Noh ZL1801 Sadly I sold it and a T1400 lawn tractor
Mar 11, 2009
Sedro Woolley, Washington USA
My old Kubota had something similar and I just filled the engine oil until it was slightly above half way between the lines right in the middle someplace. To check the engine oil I pushed the stick in firmly until it bottomed out and then pulled it out and looked at it. By not going in fully how accurate is the check you just made? Fully in and then pull out and check.

SpudHauler

Equipment
RTV 1100 CW-A
Sep 8, 2010
Canada
Engine shut off for at least 5 minutes and tractor sitting on level ground the oil should be to the top mark when dipstick inserted all the way in.

That's my guess. :) But then I'm not a tractor guy, just a back yard joe.

rowboat

Equipment
zb7000
Oct 25, 2010
Galiano Is. BC
B7100 manual says the oil is "appropriate" when between the two marks. suspect it would be similar for your tractor...

SpudHauler

Equipment
RTV 1100 CW-A
Sep 8, 2010
Canada
Another fact about oil levels. The companies give a range of high and low with the idea being that after a oil/filter change you should fill to the top line. Then, between that time and the next oil/filter change the hope is that your machine is not burning or using that much oil that it is still above the lower line. So they suggest you check the level from time to time between oil/filter changes to be on the save side. So, if you only fill half way after an oil/filter change, you could run low before the next change. Oil is the life blood of an engine. Engine parts are very expensive. Everything I ever owned I always keep the oil level to the high mark. :D

Lucky

Equipment
B7100dt and b6001
Feb 17, 2009
Northwoods, WI
Never thought about this before, but I always fill to the top line. When changing the oil, the total capacity recommended always brings it to the top. I'm sure someone will have more insight.

ValveJob

Equipment
L3400DT Loader Boxblade
Feb 6, 2010
La Fayette, GA
I'm above the line on a L3400DT after an oil change. I'm guessing I might have a half quart too much. I'm sure too much can be a problem with rods and pistons slamming on it.

How much is too much? I'm up and down hills a lot. Anybody have thoughts on this?

DsBota

Equipment
B8200, G1800
Apr 13, 2010
Milton, Ontario, Canada
My car has the two marks and in the manual it says to make sure the oil is between the marks and add if below the bottom mark. If this is the case with kubota's dip sticks then Valvejob I would remove a little oil to get it between the marks.

SpudHauler

Equipment
RTV 1100 CW-A
Sep 8, 2010
Canada
Looks like the dipstick has the engine model D1100, but that is just a guess.

Overfilling often means the oil gets slammed by the crankshaft as it turns and this can cause the oil to degrade faster and become aerated, both of which are never good for an engine.:eek:

Bug-O-1

Equipment
Fransgaurd-farming winch
Aug 19, 2012
Liberty Maine
I'm above the line on a L3400DT after an oil change. I'm guessing I might have a half quart too much. I'm sure too much can be a problem with rods and pistons slamming on it.

How much is too much? I'm up and down hills a lot. Anybody have thoughts on this?
I have the same tractor L3400DT, and just changed the oil again at 400 hrs. 6 qts. still brings it way over the the full dot on dip stick, I'm thinking I'll drain some back out so it's at the dot. I dont like to much oil in a motor, but how much is to much?

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA

I did the same thing when recently changing oil on my L3400. I pulled one of the oil plugs and allowed a half quart to drain out. Leave the dipstick in and the oil fill cap on to create an air lock which will prevent all the oil from gushing out. Your hand might get a little oily getting the bottom plug back in.