L Series sticking brake

cstempert

Equipment
L185DT-L1730FEL -Woods L59 , Kubota plow blade, Case 220 w/ snowblower / blade /mower / Cyclone rake
Jun 30, 2009
Wolcott, CT
Anyone got any tips to free up a slightly sticking brake on an L series? I have an L-185DT and the left brake pedal doesn't want to come all the way up. I can pull the pedal back up the last 1/2"-1" or so, but thats getting old. It is not hanging on the pivot under the trans, so I suspect it is in the brake case somewhere along the cam shaft. It is a recent problem after I left the parking brake on for about 2 weeks when I repainted the tractor. rust perhaps? I really don't want to pull the cases apart, but...

Also, is anyone willing to scan and email/post the sectin on the brakes for the L185 series? I have a reprinted service manual from I&T and it is a little hard to follow.

osut362

Equipment
M9000dtc, b7500hs
Mar 15, 2009
Lindale, Texas
are the return springs still on there? one on the right and one on the left under the floorboards. linkage clean and lubed? pulling the cover off the brake assembly for a look-see isn't hard if all else checks out ok.....al

Last edited:

cstempert

Equipment
L185DT-L1730FEL -Woods L59 , Kubota plow blade, Case 220 w/ snowblower / blade /mower / Cyclone rake
Jun 30, 2009
Wolcott, CT
Osut

The springs are all there. linkage is pretty much free. I think it is under the cover.
How does one access the area unde rthe cover? I am trying to avoid removing the final drive - can of worms comes to mind.

Looking at the disassembly manuals, it looks like the linkage rotates the cam shaft, which in turn presses the brake plate against the disc. I am hoping it is just a little corroded and I can free it up a bit.
I plan on startingsmall, like looking at the seal around the cam actuated shaft to see is goo'ed up from painting.

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
If your L series brakes are like mine then the bolts around the round can above the cam lever is all it takes to look at the linings and return springs inside. The gasket may be tough to break loose but the can covers the brakes.
The cam lever on mine was pretty rusty but I would make sure of that paint too. ;)

cstempert

Equipment
Jun 30, 2009
Wolcott, CT
Thanks gents.
I'll be looking at it this weekend perhaps.
I am preparing for the fall leaf cleanup and need to get going on my mower deck for the L185 now that I finished (mostly anyway) the resto of my small Case 220.

Anyone ever convert a Wood's L59 from left hand discharge to right hand discharge?

I am thinking I can run the belt the same way and open up the right side so I can hook up my Cyclone rake (r/h only) and still suck the leaves out even though the blades will be throwing the leaves to the left.
Either that or I can try running the belts around the other way and getting it to spin clockwise. THey would cross in the middle and I may mangle the belt, but at least I sell belts for a living so I can put a new set on every season if I have to.

cstempert

Equipment
Jun 30, 2009
Wolcott, CT
Looks like the whole axle and axle housing needs to come off along with the 10 nuts & a couple bolts to get to the brake disc.
Think I'll clean around the brake cam input shaft and hope for the best as I don't want to crack open the case and look inside just yet.

Anyone have any pics of an L series brake section disassembled?

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
If your brakes are discs and they are internal then you have "wet" brakes.

My little "L" is dry brakes. There is a can beside the axle housing where the brakes shoes and drum are.

Attachments

cstempert

Equipment
Jun 30, 2009
Wolcott, CT
Yeah Definitely wet brakes...All in the axle...Lots o' bolts.
Springs are nice and free, pivots all nice and lubed.
I'll play around with it soon as I am working on getting the finish mower deck modified to handle my Cyclone Rake leaf collector. I know pulling the brake up will get old when I am using the C.R.

Gotta get the leaves out of the yard before I am buried under 'em.