L series Backhoe worth getting?

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
I guess I like having one…

I smile most every time I come on this site…at all the clean, unscratched, new looking equipment. I like to keep my stuff nice too…but iffin’ you are using your tools they should show some wear…😁
19BB7DBE-64E3-475C-A04E-7307182821EE.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Who said ONLY a mini? I would use my tractor for rapid material movement, and I would use my mini for rapid material extraction. At the same time my tractor would have a rake or box blade on it and excel at it at the same time.

I never said don't get a tractor, I think most people should start with a tractor. I also never said don't get a bh. Based on my experience, I would say it is a small window of users that the 10K is well spent on, that is all. The bottom end would be better off renting, the top end would be better of with a mini.

I guess you all missed the Andrew reference. Your backhoe is the handiest tool you will ever own.... right up until you have an excavator, loader etc. Once you have those the backhoe sits and collects rust.

My mini has a 25HP Yanmar in it, I can pick my tractor up with it. The BH77 (the bh that would fit my tractor) doesn't come close to it in ANY category. Depth, force, lift capacity etc etc. not even close by half. Production on the mini is on another scale compared to anything backward facing with stabilizers.
If you do not have BOTH a loader AND a Mini, it is impossible to move dirt more than a very few feet.
Mini-Ex machines do not have loaders!
If you have BOTH a Mini and a Loader machine (or dump truck), you then have TWO separate machines, that require DOUBLE the maintenance expense, and storage space.
The point here is obvious!

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I guess I like having one…

I smile most every time I come on this site…at all the clean, unscratched, new looking equipment. I like to keep my stuff nice too…but iffin’ you are using your tools they should show some wear…😁
View attachment 72124
For personal use, I find grease cleanup, and occasional paint touch-up to be a good thing.

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
My take on the subject is if you buy a backhoe for your tractor and use it so much that you wear it out, you have easily gotten your money back out of it.

However, if you don't use it as much as you thought you would and it has remained shiny and pristine, you will most likely be able to sell it down the road for what you paid for it, if not more.

I don't see too many downsides to purchasing my backhoe.
Yup!
From Machinery Trader, my Used Kubota TLB appears to be easily worth $10K more than I paid for it two years ago.
For the resale value to be that high, I suspect that there are a lot of folks out there not even remotely interested in buying two machines.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Who said ONLY a mini? I would use my tractor for rapid material movement, and I would use my mini for rapid material extraction. At the same time my tractor would have a rake or box blade on it and excel at it at the same time.

I never said don't get a tractor, I think most people should start with a tractor. I also never said don't get a bh. Based on my experience, I would say it is a small window of users that the 10K is well spent on, that is all. The bottom end would be better off renting, the top end would be better of with a mini.

I guess you all missed the Andrew reference. Your backhoe is the handiest tool you will ever own.... right up until you have an excavator, loader etc. Once you have those the backhoe sits and collects rust.

My mini has a 25HP Yanmar in it, I can pick my tractor up with it. The BH77 (the bh that would fit my tractor) doesn't come close to it in ANY category. Depth, force, lift capacity etc etc. not even close by half. Production on the mini is on another scale compared to anything backward facing with stabilizers.
I don't actually need either a backhoe or a Mini-Ex!
My machine is totally for play!

At 81, my kubota (14' reach) L48 TLB is my 3rd arm (with thumb), my shovel, and my wheelbarrow, and it has a travel speed of 15 mph.
Do you actually think that a Mini-Ex would be better for my use?
I don't!

SteveBX23

Equipment
LX2610SU; BH77
May 23, 2021
South Jersey

You wouldn’t use a TLB to dig a septic, like wise you wouldn’t use a mini to relocate material in whatever way necessary. The two have great purpose in different situations, that’s been established. But I feel like we are trying to compare two things that don’t compare past a certain point. I believe the original topic of conversation was overall property needs. Sounds like you are referring to job site situations. It should be obvious that a mini will out dig a tlb of similar size

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
You wouldn’t use a TLB to dig a septic, like wise you wouldn’t use a mini to relocate material in whatever way necessary. The two have great purpose in different situations, that’s been established. But I feel like we are trying to compare two things that don’t compare past a certain point. I believe the original topic of conversation was overall property needs. Sounds like you are referring to job site situations. It should be obvious that a mini will out dig a tlb of similar size
"you wouldn't use a TLB to dig a septic".

If ONLY I had known THAT BEFORE I installed my two complete septic systems.
There is no dispute, however, that a Mini-Ex will "out dig a tlb of similar size",..... if digging is all you need to do!

Last edited:

SteveBX23

Equipment
LX2610SU; BH77
May 23, 2021
South Jersey
"you wouldn't use a TLB to dig a septic".

If ONLY I had known THAT BEFORE I installed my two complete septic systems.
There is no dispute, however, that a Mini-Ex will "out dig a tlb of similar size",..... if digging is all you need to do!
Let me rephrase, if I were to do a septic dig, the first thought is an excavator😅

NWAZL3560

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, LA805 loader, BH77 backhoe, rock bucket, box blade, pallet forks
Jun 11, 2018
Mesquite, NV
Today was a good example of having a backhoe and why I wouldn't be without mine. I was getting ready to pull a fence T-post out of the ground with a chain and the loader and a creosote bush was in the way. So I just turned around and in a minute the backhoe had the creosote bush out. Things like this happen all the time at my place.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Today was a good example of having a backhoe and why I wouldn't be without mine. I was getting ready to pull a fence T-post out of the ground with a chain and the loader and a creosote bush was in the way. So I just turned around and in a minute the backhoe had the creosote bush out. Things like this happen all the time at my place.
An excellent example of what backhoe naysayers do not understand!

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
I don't actually need either a backhoe or a Mini-Ex!
My machine is totally for play!

At 81, my kubota (14' reach) L48 TLB is my 3rd arm (with thumb), my shovel, and my wheelbarrow, and it has a travel speed of 15 mph.
Do you actually think that a Mini-Ex would be better for my use?
I don't!
I'm 68 and figure my machine with backhoe will let me continue to do what I am doing now till I am 81 and beyond. Maybe that is the reason for a lot of us, it makes work play! When the wind put that tree on the neighbors house 2 weeks ago, the toy made the difference for me and a 79 yo.
Bill

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
pissing contest are funny.

money being no object, hands down I would have a tractor without a BH, a mini ex for digging, and a skid steer for moving stuff quick.

since money is a factor, a TLB works great for 90% of what I need done. That’s high enough % in my books. We all need to decide what our needs are and what equipment will be required to fill those needs.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
pissing contest are funny.

money being no object, hands down I would have a tractor without a BH, a mini ex for digging, and a skid steer for moving stuff quick.

since money is a factor, a TLB works great for 90% of what I need done. That’s high enough % in my books. We all need to decide what our needs are and what equipment will be required to fill those needs.
Just make that "skid steer" a CTL instead , and all will be good!

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
I just purchased a b2301 with a backhoe and I really had to think about spending an extra 11500 tax in for the bh but here is my logic. I often work for an hour or two at a time. I dont want to rent a backhoe and rush to get a bunch of stuff done. I want to transplant maybe 50 trees and have endless 3" dia brush that I would like to remove and burn, I have a garage to build and hiking trails to put in. many small digging projects. I want the trails to be easy to walk on as my wife and I get older. When I am done with those things I can sell the backhoe by then my 40 year old honda rider maybe done in and I will buy a mower deck. If I put in 500 hours on the back hoe over the next 10 years that amounts to 23 dollars an hour. I would think the property improvements will make the property more valuable by at least the cost of the tractor loader backhoe and grapple. but, really no experience as the tractor is not even here yet.

Boatman

Equipment
Kubota L2800, Kubota BX1870
Nov 26, 2016
Mill Spring, NC, US
A few years ago I finally decided to buy a BH for my L2800. Got tired of renting a mini excavator everytime I needed to dig or trench. Not wanting to pony up the big bucks for a new Kubota unit I looked around for a a used BH. Either too far, too beat up or they seller though it was made of 24k gold. Even considered trading in my tractor for a new machine with loader and backhoe. One day i was at the local dealer and noticed in the back of the lot was a bunch of backhoes that weren't Kubota. So I asked expecting the price to be more than I wanted to spend but was shocked to be told $5700 installed. I looked it over comparing to the Kubota bh and seemed like I would take the chance. I couldn't be happier with the purchase. It's not as refined as the Kubota but it gets the job done. I've trenched 1000's of feet, dug holes, dug stumps (yeah I know), moved trees and haven't been disappointed.

I think the prices have gone up since I bought mine but I'm sure the Kubota bh has gone up too.

Boatman

Equipment
Kubota L2800, Kubota BX1870
Nov 26, 2016
Mill Spring, NC, US
A few years ago I finally decided to buy a BH for my L2800. Got tired of renting a mini excavator everytime I needed to dig or trench. Not wanting to pony up the big bucks for a new Kubota unit I looked around for a a used BH. Either too far, too beat up or they seller though it was made of 24k gold. Even considered trading in my tractor for a new machine with loader and backhoe. One day i was at the local dealer and noticed in the back of the lot was a bunch of backhoes that weren't Kubota. So I asked expecting the price to be more than I wanted to spend but was shocked to be told $5700 installed. I looked it over comparing to the Kubota bh and seemed like I would take the chance. I couldn't be happier with the purchase. It's not as refined as the Kubota but it gets the job done. I've trenched 1000's of feet, dug holes, dug stumps (yeah I know), moved trees and haven't been disappointed.

I think the prices have gone up since I bought mine but I'm sure the Kubota bh has gone up too.

And I forgot to mention it came with a mechanical thumb. One of these days I'll put a hydraulic cylinder on it.

20190313_151921.jpg

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I just purchased a b2301 with a backhoe and I really had to think about spending an extra 11500 tax in for the bh but here is my logic. I often work for an hour or two at a time. I dont want to rent a backhoe and rush to get a bunch of stuff done. I want to transplant maybe 50 trees and have endless 3" dia brush that I would like to remove and burn, I have a garage to build and hiking trails to put in. many small digging projects. I want the trails to be easy to walk on as my wife and I get older. When I am done with those things I can sell the backhoe by then my 40 year old honda rider maybe done in and I will buy a mower deck. If I put in 500 hours on the back hoe over the next 10 years that amounts to 23 dollars an hour. I would think the property improvements will make the property more valuable by at least the cost of the tractor loader backhoe and grapple. but, really no experience as the tractor is not even here yet.
You absolutely are using proper logic!