L-295dt pto

bwguardian

Jan 11, 2017
Houston, Texas
Hello all. I recently bought my fathers ole faithful Kubota given he was retiring and getting rid of all his equipment and we purchased some land I will need it for. He bought the tractor new in the late 70's and I have had alot of seat time on it and know it's history. Not a whole lot of hours on it given its age and it looks a little rough but has always stayed under a shed. It has a front end loader and box blade which have stayed on it since new so it has never had anything connected or run off the PTO. Several years back he had a new clutch put in it along with a new water pump.

I purchased a bush hog to cut grass down at the property recently but it is still on the trailer but will be getting everything ready this week. I need to add a little fluid to the transmission as I noticed the box blade was a little lazy the last time I moved it.

In looking over a few things I am noticing the PTO gear selector seems to be stuck in 2nd gear and will not move. It was not always like this but don't know when it happened as it never really was used...though I remember shifting it around from time to time just because. From what I remember, the PTO shaft at the back of the tractor does spin but will check to see what happens if the clutch is pushed in and disengaged. I tried tapping on it a little but don't want to force it. We also never really utilized the 4WD of differential lock so I will be trying those next week to make sure they still function. Any ideas on the PTO shift lever being froze in position?

The bush hog I got is an old style heavy duty one. I thought about going ahead and getting it mounted up, then running it to see if something may jar free...

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
We also never really utilized the 4WD of differential lock so I will be trying those next week to make sure they still function. Any ideas on the PTO shift lever being froze in position?

The bush hog I got is an old style heavy duty one. I thought about going ahead and getting it mounted up, then running it to see if something may jar free...
Differential lock and 4wd engagement is not the same operation. :confused:

As far as the PTO engagement, use a rust breaker like PB Blaster on all joint and connection points to free it up.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sorry I reference so many different models and most have the PTO engagement on the side of the transmission not in a top load shifter manner.

If the lever will not move you will have to open up the top of the transmission and look or parts that are rusted, corroded, bent or broken causing the PTO lever to not move.

bwguardian

Jan 11, 2017
Houston, Texas
Sorry I reference so many different models and most have the PTO engagement on the side of the transmission not in a top load shifter manner.

If the lever will not move you will have to open up the top of the transmission and look or parts that are rusted, corroded, bent or broken causing the PTO lever to not move.
No problem Wolfman...10-4 roger that, will check it...

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
There's a possibility the pto shift lever has just popped out of its socket under the cover. When you take the cover off, both shifters will come with it. You'll see right away how they work and where they have to be when the cover goes back on. It probably got hit by something and got "over-ranged". Likely there's nothing broken or damaged - just dislocated.