l-185dt (1501dt) grinding gears

Alexisferos

Equipment
L-1501 DT
Oct 24, 2013
Greece
Hello from Greece, im a new owner to a (gray market) Zen noh 1501dt
I have this small kubota about a week now and i m very pl zed with its overall performance and working.

buy it for 2.500 € with its tiller and a trailer, it has 1270H in the clock and no other problems.

the only think that bothers me is that when i try to shift in gear almost every time i hear a grrrrrrrr like my syncro has gone.
i have adjust the clutch like the manual says, i have 20-25mm free play in the pedal.

always im at stopped position when i try to shift a gear, i have try to play with the rpms or even double play the clutch..
some times the gears are working wonderful but most of it dosen't,
i have check the transmission oil level and its (all there)

can you point me to right direction with this small kubota, or what im doing wrong.

there you have some photos of my small jap. :D

edit...

iv notice that my pto is spinning without gear, just a spin no load i can stop it with hand..
when i stop it the gears are working perfect, why is happening that?
how i can fix this..i dont wont the tiller all the time in the tractor..

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The pilot bearing needs to be replaced, might also need a new clutch while your into it.

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
Hello from Greece, im a new owner to a (gray market) Zen noh 1501dt
I have this small kubota about a week now and i m very pl zed with its overall performance and working.

buy it for 2.500 € with its tiller and a trailer, it has 1270H in the clock and no other problems.

the only think that bothers me is that when i try to shift in gear almost every time i hear a grrrrrrrr like my syncro has gone.
i have adjust the clutch like the manual says, i have 20-25mm free play in the pedal.

always im at stopped position when i try to shift a gear, i have try to play with the rpms or even double play the clutch..
some times the gears are working wonderful but most of it dosen't,
i have check the transmission oil level and its (all there)

can you point me to right direction with this small kubota, or what im doing wrong.

there you have some photos of my small jap. :D

edit...

iv notice that my pto is spinning without gear, just a spin no load i can stop it with hand..
when i stop it the gears are working perfect, why is happening that
?
how i can fix this..i dont wont the tiller all the time in the tractor..

I suspect you have a two stage clutch, the second stage is not disengaging causing the PTO to spin. The PTO is winding up all the other gears in your trans causing you to grind when shifting into gear.

Here is another thread with a poster having trouble with his two stage clutch.
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12172

Alexisferos

Equipment
L-1501 DT
Oct 24, 2013
Greece
I suspect you have a two stage clutch, the second stage is not disengaging causing the PTO to spin. The PTO is winding up all the other gears in your trans causing you to grind when shifting into gear.

Here is another thread with a poster having trouble with his two stage clutch.
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12172
no friend i don't have two stage clutch.
i have put a duck tape in the pto to stop it from free spinning,
the spin is very slow, and without load..
so the gears are working as they should be.
what should i check for that problem..??

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If when you depress the clutch the and the PTO free spin stops, then it's a simple case of too thick of transmission fluid, change it to a Universal transmission fluid, or the Kubota UDT fluid.
if it keeps spinning with the clutch in, then it's a bad Pilot bearing, it's letting the Input shaft "drag" on the crank and that causes the PTO and transmission gears to spin all the time, even with the clutch engaged.;)

Last edited:

Alexisferos

Equipment
L-1501 DT
Oct 24, 2013
Greece
If when you depress the clutch the and the PTO free spin stops, then it's a simple case of too thick of transmission fluid, change it to a Universal transmission fluid, or the Kubota UDT fluid.
if it keeps spinning with the clutch in, then it's a bad Pilot bearing, it's letting the Input shaft "drag" on the crank and that causes the PTO and transmission gears to spin all the time, even with the clutch engaged.;)
i will check it first thing in the morning and i ll post..

thanks for the help and the info....

Alexisferos

Equipment
L-1501 DT
Oct 24, 2013
Greece
and the first thing today was to check the pto if it stops when i press the clatch.
yes it stops.
no pto when the pedal is depressed.
i put the tractor in a level place and i remove the transmission oil level bolt near to the pedal.
0,50 of liter came out, i think my small kubota had more oil to the gears..
now the gears i thing they are working better, the pto is still spinning some times but with a little help i can shift without grrrrrrrr.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would run it a while and if it still doesn't improve more.;)

Alexisferos

Equipment
L-1501 DT
Oct 24, 2013
Greece
I would run it a while and if it still doesn't improve more.;)
now i have notice something strange, i can shift gears in the road like a car starting with 1 go to 2 -3 -4 and opposite, without forcing or grinding never, but some times when im stopped it just grrrrrrrr, what the hell? what im i doing wrong again?

Alexisferos

Equipment
L-1501 DT
Oct 24, 2013
Greece
and today i decide to change the (only) water that it was in my radiator,
and i see that i loose coolant from the rear of the head, is it a blown head gasket?
here it is a not so good photo.

new head gasket then. i will make a new post and i will take photos..

Last edited: