Kx033-4 final drive oil drain plugs

MoCo

Equipment
L6060 Tractor, SVL65 CTL, KX033-4 Excavator
Feb 15, 2021
Ontario Canada
The reason for not using an impact wrench is the hammering. The breaker bar exerts a steady push, and with a proper 8mm hex socket, fully inserted, will work. It will not be required after the first removal. The caps have a rubber o-ring under the head, so do not use heat.
Fortunately for me, what was stripped what mostly my Allen key, so a good socket, tapped in, worked to remove the stubborn plug. Doesn't have to be Snap On.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Common man.- that should be pretty obvious. What I was trying to say was counterclockwise (out) only - not back and forth.

Dan
Sorry......but "never in reverse" ......meant "never in reverse" to me!
LH thread?

Last edited:

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Sorry......but "never in reverse" ......meant "never in reverse" to me!
LH thread?
I think what he is alluding to is the "trick" to removing stubborn fasteners. It often helps to drive a fastener tighter and then loosen to break one free.

Reactions: 1 users

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
50 years as a mechanic and I‘m not ashamed to say way less than 1% of my hand tools came out of a truck…. only because of the $$$$$$$. Really didn’t sound like the op has access to a tool truck.
Agreed, most of mine are craftsman. If I only got 1% of snap on though, it would be the gold zinc tipped allen/torx sets. I have broken countless 10 mm allen heads but never since I switched to the snap on set.

Semo

Equipment
KX 033-4 Exmark EFI 60"
Apr 3, 2022
S.E. Louisiana
The reason for not using an impact wrench is the hammering. The breaker bar exerts a steady push, and with a proper 8mm hex socket, fully inserted, will work. It will not be required after the first removal. The caps have a rubber o-ring under the head, so do not use heat.
Fortunately for me, what was stripped what mostly my Allen key, so a good socket, tapped in, worked to remove the stubborn plug. Doesn't have to be Snap On.
Upon closer inspection, the plugs are pretty clean with no corrosion, so I probably wouldn't have put any heat to them. Good to know there are rubber o-rings though. Will go to H. Depot ( less than a mile away) and get the hex socket. Thanks

Reactions: 1 user