KX-36/41 randomly losing power.

fluxcapacitor

Equipment
B5100E
Aug 30, 2019
Austin, TX
I have an early KX-36/41 (not sure which because ROPS says 36 but the sticker on the side of the frame says 41). Everything on it works fine but after running it for a while it starts to randomly lose power and bog like it wants to die. The machine has good power otherwise and this doesn't start until you've got the machine pretty warm.

I already looked up threads covering this before posting this one. Any suggestions on what to look at that would cause this random problem would be appreciated. I cannot reliably make it happen by actuating any of the controls. Last time I was using it it would randomly slow down during traveling on flat ground for a few seconds. Backing off the throttle then putting it back on full throttle would make it work again, but I have no idea what to look at.

The dealer I bought it from did service to it but I'm not sure if the fuel filter was changed yet...... with that said I don't think a dirty fuel filter will create this "random" problem under constant load. A dirty filter should be a constant problem under every load.... so I'm not likely to believe that is the case but I'm here to ask for help so I'm all ears.

Thank you for reading.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Fuel filter is where I would start, then the lines and lastly something inthe tank,, do all the simple stuff first

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Fuel filter is where I would start, then the lines and lastly something inthe tank,, do all the simple stuff first
I too would replace the fuel filter. Years ago I had a VERY similar issue when my b2910 tractor not long after purchase. Turned out to be a blocked fuel filter, caused by what I believe was old off road fuel I bought at a place nearby.

Almost got the dealer to come pick up the tractor, but on a whim I changed the fuel filter. Problem solved and has not returned in 18 plus years, although I did change fuel sources, and only bought from high volume places after that.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
While you are changing that fuel filter (can't hurt), check to see what kind of flow you have from the tank.

Some floating debris in the tank will give you that random behavior.

fluxcapacitor

Equipment
B5100E
Aug 30, 2019
Austin, TX
Thank you so much everyone that responded. I'm glad this forum is active. I will post my results as to not leave anyone else that has a similar issue hanging after I get and replace the fuel filter.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Thank you so much everyone that responded. I'm glad this forum is active. I will post my results as to not leave anyone else that has a similar issue hanging after I get and replace the fuel filter.
Do check fuel flow with the old filter off as Mark suggested. Both with the key off, and with the key on (I believe there is an electric fuel pump). Can you hear the fuel pump clicking when you turn the key to the on position? Also, is there one fuel filter or two? If I can determine what mine has I will let you know. Perhaps you already know the answer.

Does the frame sticker say only KX41? For example my frame sticker says KX41-2V. Yours may be an earlier model. I did find a WSM for my model but it could be different that what you have.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Do check fuel flow with the old filter off as Mark suggested. Both with the key off, and with the key on (I believe there is an electric fuel pump). Can you hear the fuel pump clicking when you turn the key to the on position? Also, is there one fuel filter or two? If I can determine what mine has I will let you know. Perhaps you already know the answer.

Does the frame sticker say only KX41? For example my frame sticker says KX41-2V. Yours may be an earlier model. I did find a WSM for my model but it could be different that what you have.
Found this but could not easily find details of the fuel system and ran out of time to look further...However this is for the KX41-2,

1626879797132.png

Obviously, the KX41-2 gender is male...LOL

Reactions: 2 users

fluxcapacitor

Equipment
B5100E
Aug 30, 2019
Austin, TX

Yep mine is an older model it just says KX-41 with no dash afterwards. I have a WSM in a binder for mine and it does appear to have a water separator filter AND another fuel filter.

I was having trouble finding the part numbers for the replacement filters. Also as far as the ROPS saying KX-36H is concerned..... I think that ROPS goes on both tractors. My frame says KX-41 so I think it's a KX-41.

fluxcapacitor

Equipment
B5100E
Aug 30, 2019
Austin, TX
Lol how dare you misgender that KX-41... lolololol.

Nobody that does work with tractors believes in that silly woke stuff.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Check the elbows that the fuel hoses connect to on your water separator head to see if they are loose. They can loosen from the vibration and will intermittently suck air into the fuel supply to the injection pump.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
getting the time of year where algae shows it's ugly head.

On the fuel filter housings and seaprator housings, there are hoses that go onto hose nipples. Check the inlet fittings for black stuff (algae). If you find it clean it out, replace filter, and add some algaecide to the fuel.

GodHungry777

Equipment
Kubota KX41 with D1105 engine
Dec 23, 2022
Australia
Hey fluxcapacitor. How did you go with this?
I have the same issue on my kx41 (no dash) - bogging under load when warmed up. This has now progressed to bogging under load all the time.

The following has been carried out so far:
- Fuel tank emptied, cleaned and refilled
- Fuel lines replaced
- Fuel separator and filter replaced
- Fuel pump replaced
- Injector pump tested > OK
- Injectors tested > OK
- Air intake checked > All Clear
- Exhaust checked > All clear
- Oil and Oil Filter replaced
- Thermostat replaced
- Radiator flushed and refilled with coolant

I'm wondering about a sticky governor flyweight but begging for other simpler options as the governor shaft requires removing the front of the motor.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Hope fluxcapacitor responds, but after being silent for six months who knows...

In the meantime when you find the solution, please do report back.