KX-080-4

NCDIVER

Equipment
L3700, KX080-4
Dec 7, 2023
Fayetteville NC
I have a 2017 KX080-4 with 2200 hours. When operating the machine, the engine will shut down after a few minutes and the oil pressure and charge light come on. I have checked oil level, and the alternator belt and are ok. When started up cold, the machine will run about 3 minutes. Once warmed up it will only run for about 15 seconds. While running, the engine sounds fine. Anyone have any idea why this may be happening? Thanks

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
does it cough before it shuts down? The first place I would look at is the fuel system.

Check fuel filters and sediment/water separator. When was the last time that you drained water out of the fuel tank?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

NCDIVER

Equipment
L3700, KX080-4
Dec 7, 2023
Fayetteville NC
does it cough before it shuts down? The first place I would look at is the fuel system.

Check fuel filters and sediment/water separator. When was the last time that you drained water out of the fuel tank?
I cleaned the fuel filter a few months ago (the one with the sediment filter) I looked through the sight glass yesterday on the fuel filter. I inspected and the red ring was all the way at the bottom of the filter and the fuel looked clean. I have a new fuel filter (the one with the sensor) and was planning on replacing it today. It doesn't cough before it shuts down from what I can tell. I know there is a sensor on the fuel filter. It would make sense that if that float was engaged it would shut the machine down. My question is would that throw the charge and oil pressure sensor at the same time? I cannot seem to find any info on both lamps being lit. I guess that will be the answer to my question if it doesn't throw the code once replaced. I will let you know what the results are.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I took your description of the charge and oil pressure light coming on as a result of the key being in the run position, but the engine had died. If that's the truly the case, it would be a normal expectation.

Your symptoms just sound like fuel related to me. Do you use any fuel additives (like power service)? Did this just recently start happening with colder weather?

Reactions: 1 users

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
I have a 2017 KX080-4 with 2200 hours. When operating the machine, the engine will shut down after a few minutes and the oil pressure and charge light come on. I have checked oil level, and the alternator belt and are ok. When started up cold, the machine will run about 3 minutes. Once warmed up it will only run for about 15 seconds. While running, the engine sounds fine. Anyone have any idea why this may be happening? Thanks

I have had those symptoms on several kubota excavators. Check where the fuel hoses connect to the water separator. If the brass fittings where the hoses connect can be turned by hand, they are likely allowing air into the system. If they turn, seal them with JB Weld. If that fixes the problem, replace the seperator. I've done that several times. The JB thing is temporary.

Reactions: 1 users

NCDIVER

Equipment
L3700, KX080-4
Dec 7, 2023
Fayetteville NC
I have had those symptoms on several kubota excavators. Check where the fuel hoses connect to the water separator. If the brass fittings where the hoses connect can be turned by hand, they are likely allowing air into the system. If they turn, seal them with JB Weld. If that fixes the problem, replace the seperator. I've done that several times. The JB thing is temporary.

NCDIVER

Equipment
L3700, KX080-4
Dec 7, 2023
Fayetteville NC
It ended up being the fuel separator. The fuel had gummed up and one of the inlets was stopped up. Cleaned and she is running great. Still trying to understand why both the CHARGE and OIL PRESSURE lamps came on when this happened. Hopefully this helps someone else in the future having the same issue. I'm definitely going to start adding a diesel treatment.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
It ended up being the fuel separator. The fuel had gummed up and one of the inlets was stopped up. Cleaned and she is running great. Still trying to understand why both the CHARGE and OIL PRESSURE lamps came on when this happened. Hopefully this helps someone else in the future having the same issue. I'm definitely going to start adding a diesel treatment.
Great.
Maybe add a Mr Funnel to your refueling routine? There are a couple of different sizes available.

NCDIVER

Equipment
L3700, KX080-4
Dec 7, 2023
Fayetteville NC
Great.
Maybe add a Mr Funnel to your refueling routine? There are a couple of different sizes available.
That MR Funnel looks pretty cool. I have never seen one. I have a 50 gallon fuel tailor that has fuel/water separator filter on it. We really just got our first snap of cold weather here in NC. I believe that may be why the fuel gelled up like that.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
That MR Funnel looks pretty cool. I have never seen one. I have a 50 gallon fuel tailor that has fuel/water separator filter on it. We really just got our first snap of cold weather here in NC. I believe that may be why the fuel gelled up like that.
definitely treat your fuel storage tank with diesel treatment (like power service) of your choice. I treat my fuel cans every time I get fuel (power service and biocide). The Mr funnel will also remove any water.

Hopefully, the next time you fill your storage tank it will be with a "winter" blend.