Kubota virgin

Shauney22

Equipment
Kubota B8200 HST
Jun 29, 2013
Summerstown Ontario
Hi everyone,

Please have patience. I have recently taken over the care and maintenance of a Kubota 8200 HST. It has not been maintained in over 4 years and used regularly during the summer for mowing (Farm King 5' bed). I know virtually nothing about this tractor or any tractor for that matter. I'm looking for guidance.

I watched the YouTube video on how to change the oil. No oil came out and the filter was abhorrent. I purchased a new filter, used 5L of 10w30 diesel oil. When I pulled out the dip stick, oil started pouring out of that hole. Why?

I have no manual so will be ordering one. Being that it has NOT been maintained, what's my next step?

Thanks
Laura

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
My guess would be that the drain plug you removed was not actually the drain plug..... therefore no oil drained, and the new 5l just overfilled it. Can you get pics of the drain plug you used?

Paulemar

Equipment
BX25, 60" MMM, 3 point hitch, 60" front plow, 48" Phoenix rototiller.
Jan 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Also the B8200 has an oil capacity of only 3.9L according to tractordata.com. Maybe you put in enough to overflow out of the dipstick hole. That could also be exaggerated if you changed the filter and didn't start the engine yet because there would be at least a filter volume's worth of oil still in the oil pan that hadn't circulated and filled the filter. I would consider draining all of the oil into a clean drain pan using the same plug you opened before. If you get clean oil coming out, it was the correct drain plug. Then measure out maybe 3.5L of that still clean unused oil and put it back into the tractor. Then use the dipstick to adjust to the correct level. You could also try to remove just 1L of oil from that drain plug to verify correct installation of oil and get the level down to where you can fine tune the correct amount. It will be messy, wear plastic gloves, and be prepared to clean up. After running the tractor for a few minutes, turn it off, let it sit for a little on a level spot and check the oil level again. Add oil if needed.
Hopefully, there's not a bunch of sludge taking up a lot of space in the oil pan which would lead to overfill, but probably, there's not that much sludge there.

Shauney22

Equipment
Kubota B8200 HST
Jun 29, 2013
Summerstown Ontario
I would consider draining all of the oil into a clean drain pan using the same plug you opened before. If you get clean oil coming out, it was the correct drain plug. Then measure out maybe 3.5L of that still clean unused oil and put it back into the tractor. Then use the dipstick to adjust to the correct level. You could also try to remove just 1L of oil from that drain plug to verify correct installation of oil and get the level down to where you can fine tune the correct amount. It will be messy, wear plastic gloves, and be prepared to clean up. After running the tractor for a few minutes, turn it off, let it sit for a little on a level spot and check the oil level again. Add oil if needed.
Hopefully, there's not a bunch of sludge taking up a lot of space in the oil pan which would lead to overfill, but probably, there's not that much sludge there.
Ill give it a go... Thanks

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
That plug is for the bellhousing, which holds no oil; it is only there to drain water if the tractor has been run through deep water.
The plug you want should be about 12-14 inches forward of that, in the engine oil pan, which should be directly above the differential. (the big bulge in the middle of the front axle) I'm not familiar with your model, but it should be similar to my B7100. The plug on mine cannot be seen looking sideways under the tractor, it must be viewed from directly below..... it is left of center, just behind the front axle. Once found, I now locate, remove, & re-install it by feel.
Try hunting for it with lots of light & a mirror..... mine is so low, it's hard to get your head under there to see it. And don't lose the gasket on the plug.
Keep us informed of you progress.

Shauney22

Equipment
Kubota B8200 HST
Jun 29, 2013
Summerstown Ontario
Okay, oops! Was not the right drain plug. Found the right one and out came my oil.... Black :(

3.5l it is with the next fill. So, now that the oil is changed, what's my next step in a tune up? :rolleyes: What do i use to clean up the engine?

Last edited:

Paulemar

Equipment
BX25, 60" MMM, 3 point hitch, 60" front plow, 48" Phoenix rototiller.
Jan 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I would grease every grease fitting I could find, change the hydro fluid and filter and clean the hydro fluid strainer if there is one, (when changing fluid) and change the cooling system fluid. Check the air filter, tire pressures, battery water if not a sealed battery. I would also just allow the fresh oil that you put in do it's job and clean things up for you internally. No additives! Diesel oil usually gets black pretty quick and is still very good. Don't let that bother you. The first time, I suggest another motor oil & filter change 50 hours from now, then just follow Kubota's maintenance schedule. You can usually find a suitable owners manual on ebay which would really be helpful to you.

Shauney22

Equipment
Kubota B8200 HST
Jun 29, 2013
Summerstown Ontario
Alrighty then, now just to find those videos on YouTube :). Have no idea what any of that means. What would be the code # for the operators manual?

Last edited:

murky

Mar 30, 2012
Vancouver, WA
You can click on this link and download a PDF manual for the B8200. The B8200 is not listed but the B9200 is which is the next step up and similar tractor

http://www.kubotabooks.com/AutoInde...s/&AutoIndex=7ac92fc0a357c6d47b4f5c069392efe8

Wow, I thought that site was shut down. I just checked it a couple of days ago.

To the OP, get the parts manual from there. It can be as helpful as the others sometimes.

I have a B8200 HST that I bought a little over a year ago, so I've dealt with a lot of what you will fairly recently. If you have specific questions I'm probably happy to help.

I'd replace the fuel filter. Watch the how to videos on this site for the easy way to do it without having to purge air afterwards.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
You have to check Kubotabooks every so often, some guys have said the site has been down here and there then comes back up. I've heard it gets so busy with site traffic it goes down often.

alchemysa

Equipment
B1550, backhoe, 4in1 bucket, rear mower.
Jul 1, 2010
Australia
You have to check Kubotabooks every so often, some guys have said the site has been down here and there then comes back up. I've heard it gets so busy with site traffic it goes down often.

Thats correct. Despite the bandwidth being increased to a very significant amount downloads usually max out the site by about the 20th of each month. Perhaps its being drained by someone who's upset at these being available for free. Anyway, I can't afford to keep upping the bandwidth, so its best to check in early in the month. The site automatically reactivates on the 1st of each month.

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
BTW..........

Very good thing you did not start the engine with it FULL of oil.........something could have or would have broken.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Thats correct. Despite the bandwidth being increased to a very significant amount downloads usually max out the site by about the 20th of each month. Perhaps its being drained by someone who's upset at these being available for free. Anyway, I can't afford to keep upping the bandwidth, so its best to check in early in the month. The site automatically reactivates on the 1st of each month.
Huummm.... from the sounds of that post, do you own the website?

Orangegator

Apr 4, 2012
Silver Lake IN
Don't know if anyone still checks this post, but I have a b9200 that when I married my wife it was her fathers. He passed away before I could have met him. I would like to start taking the tractor and service and also would like to fix the hood. It runs like a top but looks really rough. Does this sight still work for the manuals?