Kubota SVL95-2s crank no fuel

407Daniel

Equipment
Kubota SVL95-2s
Jan 12, 2022
florida
Hi, I'm wondering if I can get some help.
I'm working on my Kubota SVL95-s2 and just finished rebuilding the engine (Kubota 3800 T4 Final) following the Kubota repair manual.
The engine turns but won't start, for some reason fuel is not coming out of the injection pump to the fuel rai. I have bled the fuel system, installed new filters, check the voltage on the electric fuel pump, checked the ohms and voltage to the injection pump solenoid and sent it out for rebuilding and when I crank the engine nothing comes out not even exhaust gases from the muffler meaning no fuel is going to the injectors. I also checked the cam and crank sensors following the Kubota repair and troubleshooting manual and everything checks out. trying to go a little bit further I even put a jumper wire in the harness for the seat switch and still nothing. If I remove the fuel supply hose to the water separator with the key on fuel comes out, same thing if I remove the fuel hose that goes from the secondary filter to the injection pump. Everything seems to be there, but I'm stuck. I also went over the timing just to make sure I didn't miss something. I'm reaching out for some help and advice; anything will be greatly appreciated. By the way I don't get any error codes

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The obvious answer is the pump is not working properly but that is no real help.
So you may want to review the injection pump drive (mechanical or electrical?) or the flow into the pump or the pipe out of that pump for flow or clogging.

I have an older tractor with no electronics so no idea about those controls but do think they have to be programmed with information about the serial numbers of the parts installed for them to operate properly

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
If you have fuel to the high-pressure fuel pump, (you do not have an injection pump on this engine) and nothing coming out of the pump, there is a problem with the SCV.

Suction control valve (SCV) – This is an electronically controlled pulse width modulated valve that opens and closes to regulate the amount of pressure to the fuel rail. The SCV is controlled by the ENGINE ECU. SCV current – This is a data monitor reading that measures the electrical current in milliamps (mA). The amperage value is inversely proportional to the desired fuel rail pressure. If the ENGINE ECU needs to increase the pressure to the rail, the SCV current will decrease. If the ENGINE ECU needs to decrease pressure to the rail, the SCV current will increase. The “target” and “actual” SCV current values should always be the same and remain within 10-20 mA of each other. If the values do not match, check the resistance of the Suction control valve with the test provided in the engine diagnosis manual. Normal SCV current during starting should start out at 400 mA and increase up to around 1300 mA as the engine starts and the fuel rail pressure levels off.

If you applied battery voltage to the SCV, (or as you called it, the injection pump solenoid) it is most likely toast. The SCV valve has to be calibrated on the Denso high pressure fuel pump using Diagmaster.

Unless you have Diagmaster connected to your engine, you do not know if you have any error codes or not. A lot of the DTC's will not display on the hour meter. I just read 7 fuel rail DTC's on an SVL95-2 with nothing on the hour meter.

Why did you rebuild the engine and what if anything did you do with the DPF muffler?

Reactions: 1 user

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
If you have fuel to the high-pressure fuel pump, (you do not have an injection pump on this engine) and nothing coming out of the pump, there is a problem with the SCV.

Suction control valve (SCV) – This is an electronically controlled pulse width modulated valve that opens and closes to regulate the amount of pressure to the fuel rail. The SCV is controlled by the ENGINE ECU. SCV current – This is a data monitor reading that measures the electrical current in milliamps (mA). The amperage value is inversely proportional to the desired fuel rail pressure. If the ENGINE ECU needs to increase the pressure to the rail, the SCV current will decrease. If the ENGINE ECU needs to decrease pressure to the rail, the SCV current will increase. The “target” and “actual” SCV current values should always be the same and remain within 10-20 mA of each other. If the values do not match, check the resistance of the Suction control valve with the test provided in the engine diagnosis manual. Normal SCV current during starting should start out at 400 mA and increase up to around 1300 mA as the engine starts and the fuel rail pressure levels off.

If you applied battery voltage to the SCV, (or as you called it, the injection pump solenoid) it is most likely toast. The SCV valve has to be calibrated on the Denso high pressure fuel pump using Diagmaster.

Unless you have Diagmaster connected to your engine, you do not know if you have any error codes or not. A lot of the DTC's will not display on the hour meter. I just read 7 fuel rail DTC's on an SVL95-2 with nothing on the hour meter.

Why did you rebuild the engine and what if anything did you do with the DPF muffler?
Beat me to it. He's right.

407Daniel

Equipment
Kubota SVL95-2s
Jan 12, 2022
florida
Thanks everyone for the advice. After checking everything I was able to address some of the issues but now when I crank, the engine starts for about a second and shuts down. Im also using Kubota Diagmaster and I don’t get any codes, any ideas?
Thanks

nsizemore

Equipment
kubota svl 95-2
Feb 9, 2022
Weare NH
Were you able to get the machine running? Im having the exact same issue with my machine as well.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Thanks everyone for the advice. After checking everything I was able to address some of the issues but now when I crank, the engine starts for about a second and shuts down. Im also using Kubota Diagmaster and I don’t get any codes, any ideas?
Thanks
two things
one, sometimes you don't get any codes if the ecu doesn't see anything wrong. That could mean that the problem is outside the ecu's realm of "seeing things"....aka, lift pump, etc

or two, there may be a fuel starvation issue.

if you have diagmaster log your rail pressure, rail pressure sensor voltage, scv current, rpm, and see what they say. The diagnosis manual has some info in it, included with dealer diagmaster but I don't know if you have that in yours (you should if you are a dealer).

Mikestolarik

Equipment
SVL95-2s
Feb 14, 2022
Florence, Alabama
Hi, I'm wondering if I can get some help.
I'm working on my Kubota SVL95-s2 and just finished rebuilding the engine (Kubota 3800 T4 Final) following the Kubota repair manual.
The engine turns but won't start, for some reason fuel is not coming out of the injection pump to the fuel rai. I have bled the fuel system, installed new filters, check the voltage on the electric fuel pump, checked the ohms and voltage to the injection pump solenoid and sent it out for rebuilding and when I crank the engine nothing comes out not even exhaust gases from the muffler meaning no fuel is going to the injectors. I also checked the cam and crank sensors following the Kubota repair and troubleshooting manual and everything checks out. trying to go a little bit further I even put a jumper wire in the harness for the seat switch and still nothing. If I remove the fuel supply hose to the water separator with the key on fuel comes out, same thing if I remove the fuel hose that goes from the secondary filter to the injection pump. Everything seems to be there, but I'm stuck. I also went over the timing just to make sure I didn't miss something. I'm reaching out for some help and advice; anything will be greatly appreciated. By the way I don't get any error codes
Hi, This is what happened to my SVL95-2 (2600 hours). Mine would start but would run for a second or two and then shut down. No codes.
After taking it to Kubota, they found out that it was the DEF filter that was clogged. They had to send the DEF filter to an out side contractor to be cleaned because; the filter needs to cleaned with solvent and then baked for a day. After baking, the filter needs to be cleaned again, and then pressure tested. If it has too much back pressure, the filter cleaning process needs to be done again. $4,500 parts and labor to clean the DEF filter. A new DEF, filters cost $5,900.00. I was told by a Volvo Equipment dealer that Volvo will not clean and bake DEF's because it is an ineffective band-aid that will only last a short time. I believe Kubota does this just to get you past your warrantee. Good luck!

Last edited:

Harveywrecker

Equipment
2019 svl95-2s
Oct 5, 2023
Sulphur La
Hi, This is what happened to my SVL95-2 (2600 hours). Mine would start but would run for a second or two and then shut down. No codes.
After taking it to Kubota, they found out that it was the DEF filter that was clogged. They had to send the DEF filter to an out side contractor to be cleaned because; the filter needs to cleaned with solvent and then baked for a day. After baking, the filter needs to be cleaned again, and then pressure tested. If it has too much back pressure, the filter cleaning process needs to be done again. $4,500 parts and labor to clean the DEF filter. A new DEF, filters cost $5,900.00. I was told by a Volvo Equipment dealer that Volvo will not clean and bake DEF's because it is an ineffective band-aid that will only last a short time. I believe Kubota does this just to get you past your warrantee. Good luck!
Yes I have a machine doing the same , do you know the test procedure to determine if the DEF is clogged ?