Kubota Safety Switches Help?

bookemdano

Equipment
L3800, FEL LA524, ROTARY CUTTER RCR1260, LP QUICK HITCH QH15, A&B BOX SCRAPPER,
Oct 1, 2012
Wartburg, Tennessee
I have a Kubota L3800 HST, 2011 model. In the last year it's been giving me fits with one problem.
It sometimes, won't start. Battery reading at 13.7. Turn the key and all the little lights in the dash
come on, but nothing. No clicking, no sound whatsoever. I changed out the Seat Safety switch and
the Clutch Safety switch and it seemed to work for a while, but it sometimes would do that anyway.
Work fine for a couple months then start the same crap over again.
Today, it wouldn't start. I banged the seat, Popped the clutch a few times and that had worked in
the past, not today. Then I was turning around to get to the toolbox with my foot on the brake
and that slipped off, banging the brake pedal. I sat back down and mashed the clutch, held the
brake and it started.
My question, is there a Safety Switch for the Brake too? I searched the net and the parts list and
can't find one. If someone can help me out and send me in the right direction if there is one,
I'd sure appreciate it. The nearest dealer in 70 miles away and if I can fix it myself, it'll save me
a bunch of money and headache.
Dano

loggin

Equipment
MX4700
Sep 4, 2021
canada
I have a Kubota L3800 HST, 2011 model. In the last year it's been giving me fits with one problem.
It sometimes, won't start. Battery reading at 13.7. Turn the key and all the little lights in the dash
come on, but nothing. No clicking, no sound whatsoever. I changed out the Seat Safety switch and
the Clutch Safety switch and it seemed to work for a while, but it sometimes would do that anyway.
Work fine for a couple months then start the same crap over again.
Today, it wouldn't start. I banged the seat, Popped the clutch a few times and that had worked in
the past, not today. Then I was turning around to get to the toolbox with my foot on the brake
and that slipped off, banging the brake pedal. I sat back down and mashed the clutch, held the
brake and it started.
My question, is there a Safety Switch for the Brake too? I searched the net and the parts list and
can't find one. If someone can help me out and send me in the right direction if there is one,
I'd sure appreciate it. The nearest dealer in 70 miles away and if I can fix it myself, it'll save me
a bunch of money and headache.
Dano
Best way to determine if the safety switch is at fault is to bypass them one at a time. You might have to bypass all of them if there are more than one at fault.

I am not certain if you have a brake safety switch or not because I don't know your machine well enough. You would likely be able to see it if it did.

I hope this helps!!

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
This is how I do it... If it doesn't start, hold the key in the "ON" position while you rock the HST petal back and forth... That about 70 % of the time, If that doesn't make it work, I reach down to the seat safety switch, you can reach down and play with it, that's rest of the time.

Others have had problems with the PTO switch, make sure it's adjusted correctly. As for the clutch, I jumped mine with a wire a long time ago, and it's never been a problem :)

If it's the HST petal, greese the 3 zerks under the tractor!!!

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
I took them all off except the brake pedal switch. I lived with an old 1961 Allis Chalmer for over 20 years than didn't even have belt guards let alone switches. Taught both my kids and my grandson on that old machine. Explained how badly they could get hurt, showed them the things to avoid.

Reactions: 1 user

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Here is the starting circuit description:
Can start: Battery current through three safety switches to starter relay and starter.

So there are three safety switches involved.

Forum L3800 HST start circuit.jpg

What I see is two circuits flowing through the HST pedal switch.
Two pto switches. Rear and mid perhaps.

Dave

bookemdano

Equipment
Oct 1, 2012
Wartburg, Tennessee
Could the “banging of the brake pedal” moved the HST switch to neutral? I’d start with that switch.
Yep, I greased everything this Spring but it's been a wet muddy year and it could very
well be the HST switch sticking. Thanks
Dano

bookemdano

Equipment
Oct 1, 2012
Wartburg, Tennessee
Here is the starting circuit description:
Can start: Battery current through three safety switches to starter relay and starter.

So there are three safety switches involved.

View attachment 85865
What I see is two circuits flowing through the HST pedal switch.
Two pto switches. Rear and mid perhaps.

Dave
Thanks for this. Helps to have a guide to go by.
Dano

bookemdano

Equipment
Oct 1, 2012
Wartburg, Tennessee
This is how I do it... If it doesn't start, hold the key in the "ON" position while you rock the HST petal back and forth... That about 70 % of the time, If that doesn't make it work, I reach down to the seat safety switch, you can reach down and play with it, that's rest of the time.

Others have had problems with the PTO switch, make sure it's adjusted correctly. As for the clutch, I jumped mine with a wire a long time ago, and it's never been a problem :)

If it's the HST petal, greese the 3 zerks under the tractor!!!
PTO switch? I'll have to look for that one.
Thanks
Dano

bookemdano

Equipment
Oct 1, 2012
Wartburg, Tennessee
Could the “banging of the brake pedal” moved the HST switch to neutral? I’d start with that switch.
I greased this petal and spray lubed the springs and connections. Now, only time will
tell. Appreciate all the advice given. I know one thing, I'm too old to go crawling
around under the tractor anymore. From now on, I'm driving it up town to NAPA
and supervise them greasing it. ;)
Dano