Kubota Round Baler hook up issue

C-Ranch

Equipment
M5-111, BV4580 Round Baler, MacDon, Case IH
Jun 25, 2022
Idaho
I currently have a round baler (BV4580) that I pull with an M5-111. However, that works the tractor pretty good, so decided to hook the baler to our Case 7120 Magnum. Everything hooked up just fine until it came to the two cables that need to go into the cab of the tractor. One is power and the other is for the Focus 3 monitor. Both cables are to short just barely reach back window (pulled super tight). So now the issue is where to find cable extensions. I have talked to numerous dealers (all brands) and spoke with Kubota Tech Support all with no solutions. I can't be the only one who has had this issue or pulling a baler with a bigger tractor. Does anyone know of a extension kit or know where I can get them made?

Attachments

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Welcome to OTT
I can't envision a M5-111 not having enough power to easily pull a rd baler. Are you baling steep inclines? What size bale are you making? I've in a pinch rd baled with my M7040 & JD 467 rd baler making 4X5.5 bales on level Texas ground
You could possibly check with Brillman or Agri-Services. They build wiring harnesses for tractors & maybe will have a solution.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I currently have a round baler (BV4580) that I pull with an M5-111. However, that works the tractor pretty good, so decided to hook the baler to our Case 7120 Magnum. Everything hooked up just fine until it came to the two cables that need to go into the cab of the tractor. One is power and the other is for the Focus 3 monitor. Both cables are to short just barely reach back window (pulled super tight). So now the issue is where to find cable extensions. I have talked to numerous dealers (all brands) and spoke with Kubota Tech Support all with no solutions. I can't be the only one who has had this issue or pulling a baler with a bigger tractor. Does anyone know of a extension kit or know where I can get them made?
I know nothing about this equipment but I would think this might be a good place to inquire. Building cables is not rocket science if you have the pinouts and those look like standard connectors.

Dan

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
It's sad that extension cables aren't offered by the maker of the equipment.
The quick easy solution is to cut,splice the cable to extend them that's providing you know which end of the soldering iron you hold on too.
In less than 2 hrs you should be 'up and running'.

Reactions: 1 user

C-Ranch

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Idaho
Welcome to OTT
I can't envision a M5-111 not having enough power to easily pull a rd baler. Are you baling steep inclines? What size bale are you making? I've in a pinch rd baled with my M7040 & JD 467 rd baler making 4X5.5 bales on level Texas ground
You could possibly check with Brillman or Agri-Services. They build wiring harnesses for tractors & maybe will have a solution.
The M5-111 will pull it but you can feel the baler behind you and in a thick crop it will pull it down if your going over 3.5mph. When on flat average crop like grass it does fine, but can still tell it's working behind you. If I do a 5x5 bale weighing 900lbs no issues. Make a 6x7 bale 1500-1600 lbs it works it. This the reason to put on a heavier tractor.

Thanks for the brillman link. I have checked with Agri-Service and was told no can do.

C-Ranch

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Idaho
It's sad that extension cables aren't offered by the maker of the equipment.
The quick easy solution is to cut,splice the cable to extend them that's providing you know which end of the soldering iron you hold on too.
In less than 2 hrs you should be 'up and running'.
Cut and splice is the easy option however the monitor may not work correctly as the voltage changes across all the sensors these new balers have on them. I did this on another baler a few years back only to find some of the sensors gave a wrong single. So figured bad changed sensor. Put in new sensor still issues. Only to find out the issues was due to the cut and splice (Voltage drops or influx). Put new harness in, never another issues. So not wanting to jump right into cutting and splicing just yet.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Cut and splice is the easy option however the monitor may not work correctly as the voltage changes across all the sensors these new balers have on them. I did this on another baler a few years back only to find some of the sensors gave a wrong single. So figured bad changed sensor. Put in new sensor still issues. Only to find out the issues was due to the cut and splice (Voltage drops or influx). Put new harness in, never another issues. So not wanting to jump right into cutting and splicing just yet.
Quite possibly twisted pair shielded cable - not amenable to splicing. If you are handy with this sort of thing you could buy a longer length of the same cable and move the connectors over. Pins are probably crimped which complicates that procedure. Any identifying letters/numbers on the connectors? If you can ID the connectors new pins are not usually expensive. Great project for a local computer geek with those skills and interests.

Dan

Dustyx2

Equipment
BX22, M7060, Landpride RC-2512, Woodmax SB84
Feb 19, 2021
NE Wyoming
Good soldered connections with shrink tube using the same gage wire should add virtually no voltage drop.

Your Kubota dealer needs to step up. I would find that very disappointing.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
If I do a 5x5 bale weighing 900lbs no issues. Make a 6x7 bale 1500-1600 lbs it works it.

Thanks for the brillman link. I have checked with Agri-Service and was told no can do.
You're Welcome Brillman may state "no can do" also.

Please explain how to make a 5x5 or 6x7 bale with same rd baler.

If voltage to sensor changes that much just from splicing wiring harness I keep my old worn rd baler that's baled over 29,000 bales.

Attachments

Last edited:

C-Ranch

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Idaho
Quite possibly twisted pair shielded cable - not amenable to splicing. If you are handy with this sort of thing you could buy a longer length of the same cable and move the connectors over. Pins are probably crimped which complicates that procedure. Any identifying letters/numbers on the connectors? If you can ID the connectors new pins are not usually expensive. Great project for a local computer geek with those skills and interests.

Dan

Dan,

You and I must think alike. Spoke with a gentleman this morning who does wiring for all sorts of automation equipment. He said the pins and can connectors are easy to assemble with the right tools. He's going to swing by next week and look at the connectors and the wiring diagram I have. He thinks he can either make new longer cables or plug and go extensions without losing voltage drops.

C-Ranch

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Idaho
Good soldered connections with shrink tube using the same gage wire should add virtually no voltage drop.

Your Kubota dealer needs to step up. I would find that very disappointing.
Dustyx2

I am very disappointed on the dealership service end. Most just simply don't try or look in the parts book and don't see what's needed and say it can't be done. I was more disappointed when I contacted Kubota tech support directly and was told nothing was available and was told to look online for a solution. I had the greatest support from JD and I don't even own any green equipment. Yeah, disappointed is an understatement. But like all things AG related, we will work through it and find a solution.

C-Ranch

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Idaho
You're Welcome Brillman may state "no can do" also.

Please explain how to make a 5x5 or 6x7 bale with same rd baler.

If voltage to sensor changes that much just from splicing wiring harness I keep my old worn rd baler that's baled over 29,000 bales.
Tx Jim

If your round baler (looks like a JD) is still rolling rounds I certainly wouldn't change it out till you absolutely had to.

As for making a 5x4, 5x5 or 5x6 it's a simple adjustment on the monitor along with changing bale density adjustments....I apologize...I meant 5x6 not 6x7 on my earlier post. I am not aware of any 6x7 balers.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Dan,

You and I must think alike. Spoke with a gentleman this morning who does wiring for all sorts of automation equipment. He said the pins and can connectors are easy to assemble with the right tools. He's going to swing by next week and look at the connectors and the wiring diagram I have. He thinks he can either make new longer cables or plug and go extensions without losing voltage drops.
Over the course of a 40 year IT career I have made and modified data cables of many different types. Some are simple and some not so much. I suspect the problem with splicing is not voltage drop but RFI and cross talk between the conductors. Data cables have pretty exacting electrical standards and some communication standards are very sensitive to that. Opening the cables up compromises that performance and can break stuff. Sounds like your automation guy has you covered.

Dan

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
so... what are you supposed to do , if (when..) the cable gets damaged say due to mice,rats,or dragged in the muck ? Do you have to buy a whole new baler and 'computer' ? I know Kubota has 'wiring harnesses' for their tractors (obscene prices too ! )
Seriously, what does the dealer say you have to do ? A place like Digikey probably have the connectors, wire for sure.There's a 3 conductor cable and a 7 so it's NOT that hard to 'cut and extend'. With good, closeup pix, even Google app might find them. usually there's some kind of markings on the connector shells. Cables will have a 'part number', Google might find that as well.

oddball question. have you looked 'inside' where the cables get attached ? Perhaps they've coiled up an extra foot or two before coming outside. I did that all the time..just in case the connector got damaged, easy to put a new one on.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Tx Jim

If your round baler (looks like a JD) is still rolling rounds I certainly wouldn't change it out till you absolutely had to.

As for making a 5x4, 5x5 or 5x6 it's a simple adjustment on the monitor along with changing bale density adjustments....I apologize...I meant 5x6 not 6x7 on my earlier post. I am not aware of any 6x7 balers.
I fully understand your not stating bale size correctly!!

My rd 467 baler has baled only 297 bales this season. Limited # of bales this hay season due to lack of adequate local rainfall. I traded my previous JD 467 with 30,000 bales on monitor for present 467 in 2007.

C-Ranch

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Idaho
so... what are you supposed to do , if (when..) the cable gets damaged say due to mice,rats,or dragged in the muck ? Do you have to buy a whole new baler and 'computer' ? I know Kubota has 'wiring harnesses' for their tractors (obscene prices too ! )
Seriously, what does the dealer say you have to do ? A place like Digikey probably have the connectors, wire for sure.There's a 3 conductor cable and a 7 so it's NOT that hard to 'cut and extend'. With good, closeup pix, even Google app might find them. usually there's some kind of markings on the connector shells. Cables will have a 'part number', Google might find that as well.

oddball question. have you looked 'inside' where the cables get attached ? Perhaps they've coiled up an extra foot or two before coming outside. I did that all the time..just in case the connector got damaged, easy to put a new one on.
Well I hope and pray the cable never gets worn through or chewed through, but liable to happen.
I did look on the inside and underneath where the wire is routed through, but wasn't luck enough to have a roll tucked & tied up anywhere.
Hopefully the wiring tech guy can get me hooked up before to long, but I surely wouldn't have thought something so simple would be so hard to get. You'd think Kubota or someone smarter would have seen this scenario. Hey maybe a new business venture..🤣

C-Ranch

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Idaho
I fully understand your not stating bale size correctly!!

My rd 467 baler has baled only 297 bales this season. Limited # of bales this hay season due to lack of adequate local rainfall. I traded my previous JD 467 with 30,000 bales on monitor for present 467 in 2007.
Lack of water here is going to make for a tough hay season as well. First crop done and water is back on, but will be lucky if still have water come end of July.

Sounds like your round baler is basically new. I looked at a JD round baler and was impressed, but the place I had bought a few pieces of equipment from offered a better deal. In the long run, not so sure the better deal will pay off. JD has better dealer support and the one Kubota/Massey dealer close to me dropped the Kubota line. So pretty much on my own unless I make a 2hr drive for something. Luckily it's still pretty new and have had no issues except for the longer cable problem. Once it starts acting up it will go down the road.

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
C-Ranch I would contact AG- Express Electronics. I have used them many times over the years to repair Monitors and build cables for sprayers, balers, planters. Good people to deal with. They have three locations Indiana 765-533-4809. Iowa 515-289-2746 Nebraska. 308-381-2905.

C-Ranch

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Idaho
C-Ranch I would contact AG- Express Electronics. I have used them many times over the years to repair Monitors and build cables for sprayers, balers, planters. Good people to deal with. They have three locations Indiana 765-533-4809. Iowa 515-289-2746 Nebraska. 308-381-2905.
Thank you for the info! If the guy guy coming to look at it can't do it I will certainly reach out to them. 👍